Its Back.... Shriner COPO with L-88... - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor Directory


C1 & C2 Corvettes
General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations Sponsored by
Flaming River
Industries

Its Back.... Shriner COPO with L-88...

Reply
 
 
submit to reddit
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
achapman
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
achapman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2001
Location: Marblehead MA
Posts: 2,742
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Its Back.... Shriner COPO with L-88...

Well at least this time is has a new write up... Shriner's COPO with an L-88...

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...&st=1&lot=1247
achapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
wmf62
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '07
 
wmf62's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2006
Location: Inverness FL
Posts: 13,743
Thanked 110 Times in 102 Posts
Default

the description is still ambiguous...
Bill
wmf62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
ctjackster
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
ctjackster's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2003
Location: Westport CT
Posts: 6,789
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

this is good:

"Originally a base motor 300"

Then they get a little ambiguous:

"and upgraded to a 427cid/430hp engine although it is now equipped with an L88 package"

and then they flat out go deceptive:

"Documented as 1 of 13 Shriner COPO cars with a correct L88 driveline."


ctjackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
Chuck Gongloff
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Chuck Gongloff's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 1999
Location: Beverly Hills/Pine Ridge Florida
Posts: 9,415
Thanked 31 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjackster View Post

Then they get a little ambiguous:

"and upgraded to a 427cid/430hp engine although it is now equipped with an L88 package"

and then they flat out go deceptive:

"Documented as 1 of 13 Shriner COPO cars with a correct L88 driveline."


Sounds like an attorney wrote it.

Chuck
Chuck Gongloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
ctjackster
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
ctjackster's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2003
Location: Westport CT
Posts: 6,789
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

damn attorneys! ('till you need one, that is )
ctjackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:05 PM   #6
Chuck Gongloff
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Chuck Gongloff's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 1999
Location: Beverly Hills/Pine Ridge Florida
Posts: 9,415
Thanked 31 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjackster View Post
damn attorneys! ('till you need one, that is )

We still love ya, Jack.

Chuck
Chuck Gongloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:38 PM   #7
Gimme1MoreC1
CF Senior Member
 
Gimme1MoreC1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: West Palm Beach Florida
Posts: 639
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

there's another thread going on trying to guess the hammer price of the Grand Sport #2, heck this would be a better guess. Come on, a totally "correct" L-88 Shriner ride, it's got to be 7 figures, huh?
Gimme1MoreC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:09 PM   #8
JohnZ
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: Washington Michigan
Posts: 36,513
Thanked 205 Times in 184 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjackster View Post
this is good:

"Originally a base motor 300"
I wrote Steve Davis a couple of months ago and got him to include that statement in the description; he said he and the current owner were both aware of the car's history.

Very careful and clever wordsmithing in the rest of the description, however...
JohnZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #9
bigredbrad
CF Senior Member
 
bigredbrad's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2008
Location: Lincoln NE Riding and Driving Corvettes since 1967.
Posts: 402
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
I wrote Steve Davis a couple of months ago and got him to include that statement in the description; he said he and the current owner were both aware of the car's history.

Very careful and clever wordsmithing in the rest of the description, however...

Like steve davis gives a crap what you or anybody else in the world thinks. If Zora himself rose from the dead and told steve to change the description and be honest about what this car really is, he would keep his smug look and sunglasses on and tell him right to his face to take a flying leap. Talk about arrogance and selling his soul for the almighty dollar, him and his boss take the cake.

I want to puke everytime I see craig pimping his mom up there on the auction stand all just to make another dollar.

I love the circus, just not the ringmaster

bigredbrad
bigredbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:06 AM   #10
53 Blue Flame Brett
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: Pendleton IN
Posts: 1,678
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredbrad View Post
Like steve davis gives a crap what you or anybody else in the world thinks. If Zora himself rose from the dead and told steve to change the description and be honest about what this car really is, he would keep his smug look and sunglasses on and tell him right to his face to take a flying leap. Talk about arrogance and selling his soul for the almighty dollar, him and his boss take the cake.

I want to puke everytime I see craig pimping his mom up there on the auction stand all just to make another dollar.

I love the circus, just not the ringmaster

bigredbrad
They spend all the time in the world when auctioning one their VIP's cars. They DID short gavel the Sox and Martin car and screwed the guy. I don't blame him for chaining the car up afterward. Their consigner's contract is so ambiguous that they got away with it. It's fun to watch but I would never buy or sell there.
BJ = PT Barnum

Last edited by 53 Blue Flame Brett; 01-16-2009 at 12:09 AM.
53 Blue Flame Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:59 AM   #11
Ironcross
CF Senior Member
 
Ironcross's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2002
Location: Taylor Michigan
Posts: 12,094
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53 Blue Flame Brett View Post
They spend all the time in the world when auctioning one their VIP's cars. They DID short gavel the Sox and Martin car and screwed the guy. I don't blame him for chaining the car up afterward. Their consigner's contract is so ambiguous that they got away with it. It's fun to watch but I would never buy or sell there.
BJ = PT Barnum
Except it was not the Sox car, but the Ramchargers Parts store 70s Cuda. It too had some possible misleading information. It was claimed to be the "Original" Ramchargers car. By 1970 all the original Ramchargers were either back to their old jobs at Chryslers or Elton Eckstran to his Law office. The Michigan Judge who purchased the car from the Ramchargers auto parts store thought he was going to make a killing at BJ`s. I understand he did clear close to 40K and I think made up with BJ`s.
Ironcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:20 AM   #12
jerrybramlett
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 1999
Location: Mobile AL
Posts: 4,329
Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredbrad View Post
... I love the circus, just not the ringmaster
I don't even like the "circus". It's still an embarrassing display of American wealth and poor taste.
jerrybramlett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:15 AM   #13
LSUvetteguy
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10
 
LSUvetteguy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: Down on the bayou in south Louisiana
Posts: 13,673
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybramlett View Post
I don't even like the "circus". It's still an embarrassing display of American wealth and poor taste.
LSUvetteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:47 AM   #14
GC2X4
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Posts: 218
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default What ?

If you can't read the description on this car and fully understand what you would be bidding on, then you should hire an attorney and sue your parents ---- for dropping you on your head when you were a child !!
GC2X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:51 AM   #15
BrettG
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Location: Greenwich CT
Posts: 932
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I hope either Ron Pratt or Terry M purchase it............
BrettG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:36 AM   #16
zadspal
CF Senior Member
 
zadspal's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: Jefferson Georgia
Posts: 429
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettG View Post
I hope either Ron Pratt or Terry M purchase it............
zadspal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #17
ctjackster
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
ctjackster's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2003
Location: Westport CT
Posts: 6,789
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC2X4 View Post
If you can't read the description on this car and fully understand what you would be bidding on, then you should hire an attorney and sue your parents ---- for dropping you on your head when you were a child !!
I agree that being stupid is no excuse, but if you were to read the board for this car (being sold by Larry Sachs, btw) like I did yesterday in the high-end tent out here, you'd be hard-pressed to appreciate the truth, and a strong case could be made that the car is being misrepresented - they have twisted the shriner thing into a selling point, as if this was some sort of shriner-commissioned L88 or something.

The fact is, the law provides that if you knowingly misrepresent some fact about the product you are selling, and that is a material fact, and the buyer relies on this material misrepresentation, you have a fraudelent sale; and that is not the fault of the buyer who has been mislead.
ctjackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:38 PM   #18
GC2X4
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Posts: 218
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default ctjackster

Since I'm freezing my tail off here in Cincinnati and do not have the pleasure of being in Scottsdale--I will not disagree with your statement
about what is represented on the sales board.
I was speaking of the cars description as listed here.
GC2X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #19
Harps
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 1999
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 8,380
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybramlett View Post
I don't even like the "circus". It's still an embarrassing display of American wealth and poor taste.

I agree too, but I can't pull myself away from watching the circus.

It's like complaining about the traffic and all the rubber necking around a traffic accident, and then when you come up on it yourself, you look over too.
Harps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #20
BrettG
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Location: Greenwich CT
Posts: 932
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjackster View Post
I agree that being stupid is no excuse, but if you were to read the board for this car (being sold by Larry Sachs, btw) like I did yesterday in the high-end tent out here, you'd be hard-pressed to appreciate the truth, and a strong case could be made that the car is being misrepresented - they have twisted the shriner thing into a selling point, as if this was some sort of shriner-commissioned L88 or something.

The fact is, the law provides that if you knowingly misrepresent some fact about the product you are selling, and that is a material fact, and the buyer relies on this material misrepresentation, you have a fraudelent sale; and that is not the fault of the buyer who has been mislead.

Have heard many an interesting story about LS, who happens to be a local Westchester resident.............
Can't say that I'd be interested in puchasing anything he has for sale....

(hope that was polite enought to not offend anyone especially the C.F. gods)
BrettG is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Its Back.... Shriner COPO with L-88...
  •  
     
    submit to reddit
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    L88 for sale, Bring the Amored Truck!!! sidepipe seeker C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted 9 06-20-2014 01:44 PM
    Barrett-Jackson L88 LeMans Pete C1 & C2 Corvettes 80 01-29-2014 02:53 PM
    Pace Cars @ BJ hunt4cleanair C3 General 14 01-27-2014 09:07 PM
    1968 Stallone vette - sold for $198k in '09 & $85k in '11 69VetteFla C3 General 33 09-27-2011 12:20 PM
    Z06 Carbon tops Barrett-Jackson @ nearly $300k vettedoogie C6 Corvette General Discussion 11 04-05-2010 08:53 PM


    Tags
    1965, brass, city, copo, corvette, corvettes, fairground, hat, larry, oklahoma, sachs, shriner

    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump


    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:22 PM.