C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Vacuum Advance

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 09:41 PM
markiemyster
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default Vacuum Advance

OK This is where I prove how little I know.

The crate engine I purchased came with a MSD HEI distributor but it was not set up for a mechanical tach. I called Jegs and told them what I needed and they sent me one with a mechanical tach but also a vacuum advance. It say for Corvettes on the box.
I was just going through the installation information that came with the engine and it says that if I run a vacuum advance the warranty is void.

Can I just plug the end of the vacuum tube on the distributor? Can you get a distributor with tach drive but not vacuum?
I know these are probably very elementary questions to most of you but it's all new to me.

Thanks, Mark
Old 01-20-2009, 09:46 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

yes, you can just plug it/cap it and it will act just like a regular distributor without vacuum advance.
Bill
Old 01-20-2009, 09:49 PM
markiemyster
Racer

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Thanks Bill.

That's good to hear
Old 01-20-2009, 10:35 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
yes, you can just plug it/cap it and it will act just like a regular distributor without vacuum advance.
Bill
I'm curious Bill, will a distributor set up for a vacuum advance, have the right mechanical advance when the vacuum is excluded?

I would GUESS but do not know, that the advance curve for a mechnical advance-only distributor would normally look different than the curve for a distributor set up with a vacuum advance.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:36 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by markiemyster
I was just going through the installation information that came with the engine and it says that if I run a vacuum advance the warranty is void.

I'd like to know which crate motor you bought, and their reasoning for this.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:38 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Remember if not using the vac advance the engine will run hotter, have poorer mileage and maybe less throttle response.

The mfg is probably worried about reliability if too much vac advance causes detonation or needs a particular spark curve. At any rate you should try to match the curve they recommend!!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:43 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
I'm curious Bill, will a distributor set up for a vacuum advance, have the right mechanical advance when the vacuum is excluded?

I would GUESS but do not know, that the advance curve for a mechnical advance-only distributor would normally look different than the curve for a distributor set up with a vacuum advance.
the mechanical advance is independent of the vacuum advance, the vacuum advance is an additive to the mechanical. purely mechanical distributors, including intial timing on the balancer, usually have no more than approx 34 degrees total advance, whereas a vacuum distributor might have a total of approx 51, BUT that last 17ish degrees is solely from the vacuum can and is accomplished by the vacuum can rotating the whole plate that the points sit on. the mechanical advance is solely a function of the weights and springs on the top of the distributor shaft.

any distributor needs to be curved for the specific engine it is installed in, both mechanically and vacuum, and total.
Bill
Old 01-20-2009, 10:46 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Bill, thanks for the quick reply.

I have many more questions that I can't resolve in my head, but there's no point taking the OP's thread off on a tangent.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:17 AM
markiemyster
Racer

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Bill,

Should I see if MSD sells a distributor with a tach drive but not vacuum?
Would that change anything?

Thanks, Mark

Buns,
This is the link to the thread that explains the engine project and what I bought
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-pictures.html

Last edited by markiemyster; 01-21-2009 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:28 AM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

MSD's 8454 dist has no vac adv, but you need an ignition box. Have you considered maybe a Mallory Unilite, if you don't want to use a box? Neither of these are HEI however.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:37 AM
skids
Drifting

www.performancedistributors.com has a HEI tach drive mech adv dist. $419.00
Old 01-21-2009, 06:47 AM
markiemyster
Racer

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Skids,

I have a MSD 6A that I bought with the new distributor.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:00 AM
skids
Drifting

Your MSD should have came with a vacuum advance lockout kit. You could use that if you don't want to run vac adv. IMHO, I would keep your dist and use it. My feeling is the general consensus here will tell you to use vac adv, and dial the dist in according to what the engine needs. I converted over to MSD with vac adv, after using a mech adv only Unilite, had the car on the dyno, and now I'm happy!

Last edited by skids; 01-21-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:35 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by markiemyster
Bill,

Should I see if MSD sells a distributor with a tach drive but not vacuum?
Would that change anything?

Thanks, Mark

Buns,
This is the link to the thread that explains the engine project and what I bought
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-pictures.html
Mark
it all comes down to cost, whatever you can get the 'cheapest' (and with good quality). aesthetically, a no-vacuum distributor might look better without the can hanging unused, but it will be no different mechanically than one without the can; BUT there may come a day when you might want to use vacuum advance (after the warranty period is up), as there are many positive benefits to using it.

if you're worried about the mechanical advance curve, then most anything you get will have a generic mechanical curve and would have to be checked and possibly tweaked with new springs and/or weights.
Bill
Old 01-21-2009, 08:47 AM
redred65cpe
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the warranty not being valid with vacuum advance is bogus. I would think that street driving would be compromised somewhat with no vacuum advance. I wouldn't be surprised if the vacuum advance unit on the distributor is adjustable. Does it have a "hex sided snout" instead of round? Adjustable vacuum advance units make dialing in timing curves much easier. If it were me, I'd use it.

larry
Old 01-21-2009, 08:53 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I don't see you winning on this one - if you run the engine with a vacuum distrib (even if you plug it) the company could be SOBs and claim the warranty is void. After all, how do they know it was plugged/locked out when a problem occurred ?

Which means you either run the original mech-only distrib full time...or stick it back in to get a warranty fix if you've been running the vacuum distrib (plugged or not). So why not run the vacuum anyway and get all the benefits ?

I'd be questioning the engine company on this anyway...

If you DO decide to go with a mech-only, tach drive distrib then do NOT install the vacuum version so that Jegs will take it back - no questions asked...
Old 01-21-2009, 09:29 AM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm having a hard time understanding why they (JEGS and Blueprint) would not want a vacuum advance on a street engine? From customer satisfaction (part throttle response and fuel economy), to durability (dillution) and a handful of reasons in between. Did JEGS say why vacuum advance voids the warranty?

Harry

Get notified of new replies

To Vacuum Advance

Old 01-21-2009, 10:17 AM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 66since71
I'm having a hard time understanding why they (JEGS and Blueprint) would not want a vacuum advance on a street engine? From customer satisfaction (part throttle response and fuel economy), to durability (dillution) and a handful of reasons in between. Did JEGS say why vacuum advance voids the warranty?

Harry
this must be due to the fact that more folks do not know how to time their engines with today's un leaded fuels. to un properly time an engine AND also use a vc, could be un kind to the mill. i have written many posts on this timing subject on this forum until im blue in the face, i don't like being blue mainly because it is a ford color, so ill just say this....this vc cannister argument falls into two distinct and stubborn camps,those that swear by it and those who dont...im in the latter camp....usually the folks who like vc, haven't taken the time to set up strictly mec. advance the proper way....there are sooo many pieces written pro vc and many are laughable....so im not going to open this can of worms any more.......it's all about today's fuels......
Old 01-21-2009, 12:34 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by midyearvette
; i don't like being blue mainly because it is a ford color,
ahhh, you forgot 'Petty Blue'...
Bill
Old 01-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

That's silly - you can botch up a motor with a bad timing setup regardless of the spark advance technology.

Hell, the Model-Ts would get holes knocked in the pistons if the driver didn't set the manual spark advance properly....no vacuum advance in those days!

Quick Reply: Vacuum Advance