C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

$600 for new clutch - sound about right?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 12:53 PM
uncle427
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fdreano
I get my hands dirty quite a bit Mike, I'm just select about what I do it on and know my limitations. Rather than risk injury or a botched up job on certain tasks...I'll pay...I don't rebuild rear ends either and a litany of other jobs. If I can work 4 hours at my consultant job to pay for a clutch, etc. replacement I'll gladly do it rather than f*up a $60K car.

That says it all, I do not do my own machine work either, I could sure but why?
Neither do I diagnose heart trouble

I learned as a kid it was always better to work smart than to work hard, if I can work at what I do in order to pay someone else to do what they do, and assuming we are both better at what we do than the other, isn't that smarter and more efficient for both parties?
Old 01-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by GCD1962
Yeah, but Tom, what are they Ajax rebuildings or off-shore stuff?
Most of them are new Luke parts that is OEM
Old 01-22-2009, 12:58 AM
benspruce
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Ask a question on this forum and I can count on a variety of responses. That's one of the things I like about this whole thing. Yes, I'm going to have the clutch done by someone who specializes in engine rebuilds of primarily classic cars and street rods. He rebuilt my 283 engine and balanced it - a very good job. He has a 58 vette and it is great. I can count on him for quality work. I just wanted to know if his estimate of cost sounded about right. It sounds like most of you think it is. Thanks to all for your input. Jim
Old 01-22-2009, 05:34 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by uncle427

isn't that smarter and more efficient for both parties?

That's the easy way out. You never learn anything that way. You may improve the speed at which you can write a check though.

This stuff isn't exactly rocket science and if you get stuck, there's always a factory manual to bail you out. Maybe you are through learning? I don't know.

There is a price you usually have to pay for knowledge.

Last edited by MikeM; 01-22-2009 at 05:39 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:10 AM
uncle427
Racer

Originally Posted by MikeM
That's the easy way out. You never learn anything that way. You may improve the speed at which you can write a check though.

This stuff isn't exactly rocket science and if you get stuck, there's always a factory manual to bail you out. Maybe you are through learning? I don't know.

There is a price you usually have to pay for knowledge.
Mike,
I think you misunderstand, I am the wrench. Not the check writer.
I agree with you and continue to learn something new everyday gratefully.

Without folks not wanting to do their own work, my shop and thosands of others would not exist.

BUT you need to realize there are guys and girls among us who also really love their cars and enjoy them but realize they are all thumbs and not interested in learning how to fix their loveable ride, AND have the means to have it done by someone else. And there are those who if I could would take all of their tools away because they ALWAYS do more harm than good and are so stubborn they never learn anything.

I own two everyday vehicles used by the family in the driveway and I like them, but have absolutely no interest in opening the hood, so I drive them from in front of my restoration shop to someone elses repair shop and pay them, again as I said, yes, I could maybe get a manual, lots of expensive equipment, etc. to do it myself.

BUT WHY??
Old 01-22-2009, 09:44 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Mike,

Without folks not wanting to do their own work, my shop and thosands of others would not exist.

BUT you need to realize there are guys and girls among us who also really love their cars and enjoy them but realize they are all thumbs and not interested in learning how to fix their loveable ride, AND have the means to have it done by someone else. And there are those who if I could would take all of their tools away because they ALWAYS do more harm than good and are so stubborn they never learn anything.

I own two everyday vehicles used by the family in the driveway and I like them, but have absolutely no interest in opening the hood, so I drive them from in front of my restoration shop to someone elses repair shop and pay them, again as I said, yes, I could maybe get a manual, lots of expensive equipment, etc. to do it myself.

BUT WHY??
Give it up. Its obvious there are some who believe if you don't want to embroil yourself in every aspect of maintaining your classic car (whether you have the tools and expertise or not) makes you a wussie...and you don't belong in the hobby. I guess I should start a chemical plant to make the vinyl for my dash pad and a foundry to cast the metal for my engine while I'm at it.

The intolerance to other approaches for keeping these gems on the road gets tiresome. Apologies to the OP for sidetracking the issue. Pay the $600 guy but insist on the balancing.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-22-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:57 AM
uncle427
Racer

Give it up. Its obvious there are some who believe if you don't want to embroil yourself in every aspect of maintaining your classic car (whether you have the tools and expertise or not) makes you a wussie...and you don't belong in the hobby. I guess I should start a chemical plant to make the vinyl for my dash pad and a foundry to cast the metal for my engine while I'm at it.

The intolerance to other approaches for keeping these gems on the road gets tiresome. Apologies to the OP for sidetracking the issue. Pay the $600 guy but insist on the balancing.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:26 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Mike,

BUT WHY??

I know you're the wrench. Didn't take much to figure that out. I was just responding to your comment about "smarter and more efficienct".

I absolutely agree with everything you say, including your last paragraph. New cars are more than a challenge to me because of the expensive tools and references you need to buy. I'm lucky because my newer stuff doesn't cause much problem. And, to be quite honest, I have no interest in getting acquainted with the new tech. I'm too old to need to know it no more often than I have something go wrong on the new ones, I'd have to relearn everything everytime I opened the hood. The old cars are different............................

I also understand the problems you can run into working on other people's vehicles. I used to do it when I was young, poor and hungry.

Using the OP's concern, If I was doing that clutch job, I could do it myself for less than $150. Assuming the old cutch didn't chatter and the surface wasn't burnt/checked, I wouldn't resurface the flywheel, sure wouldn't balance it and I wouldn't balance the new pressure plate if I saw weights on it. It never ceases to amaze me how many extra, unneeded $$$$$ is put into a repair or recommended to spend on a repair that is unnecssary.

On the other hand, If I was doing that job for someone else, I'd spend every bit of that $600 just to make sure I had all the bases covered so in case there was a comeback, it wouldn't be on my shortcoming. It's sad to me, but it seems like it has to be that way.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:54 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Frank, You have really done well. Doing a windshield and dash pad, especially on a C-1 takes big ones. Like you, I know some things just take special talent and tools. I have done everything on my '67 except the paint, seat covers, and chrome. The next owner can do whatever they like after I'm gone. Dennis
Old 01-22-2009, 11:40 PM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Old 01-23-2009, 07:24 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
OK, I messed up! Prices have gone up since I last bought a clutch.
I just called my local friendly NAPA store.
My cost for an 11in clutch kit is now $140.
Included are:
11in pressure plate (diaphragm)
11in disc
Throwout bearing
Pilot bushing
Line up tool (I'm sure it's the el cheapo plastic version, I use an old input shaft).

I didn't call my local O'Reilly store.

Tom Parsons

Do you know exactly what you are getting though?? I picked up a unit from another parts house. I did not realize that the original was a bent finger unit and I installed the one that was handed to me by the parts guy. It was supposedly for a 66 Corvette 427 with 11". It was a straight finger unit meant for the BB's in passenger cars. I have gotten clutch chatter in Reverse gear quite a bit of the time since I installed it. I just checked yesterday at NAPA for a bent finger unit and they tell me that the cost on that one is $400.00+.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:41 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 66BlkBB
Do you know exactly what you are getting though?? I picked up a unit from another parts house. I did not realize that the original was a bent finger unit and I installed the one that was handed to me by the parts guy. It was supposedly for a 66 Corvette 427 with 11". It was a straight finger unit meant for the BB's in passenger cars. I have gotten clutch chatter in Reverse gear quite a bit of the time since I installed it. I just checked yesterday at NAPA for a bent finger unit and they tell me that the cost on that one is $400.00+.

I haven't seen an OEM bent finger diaphragm clutch in many years. They used to be common on some models. I thought I remembered, high performance Chevy engines used them. At some point, Chevy discontinued use of this design. I don't remember when.

Here is something out of an Auto Zone web site explaining the bent fingers:

"The diaphragm spring type clutches used are available in two different designs: flat diaphragm springs or bent spring. The bent fingers are bent back to create a centrifugal boost ensuring quick re-engagement at higher engine speeds. This design enables pressure plate load to increase as the clutch disc wears and makes low pedal effort possible even with a heavy-duty clutch."

In any case, the flat fingers have nothing to do with clutch chattering.

Follow this link for a decent price on an OEM replacement clutch kit:

http://www.northernautoparts.com/Pro...ProductId=1484
Old 01-23-2009, 09:56 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I haven't seen an OEM bent finger diaphragm clutch in many years. They used to be common on some models. I thought I remembered, high performance Chevy engines used them. At some point, Chevy discontinued use of this design. I don't remember when.

Here is something out of an Auto Zone web site explaining the bent fingers:

"The diaphragm spring type clutches used are available in two different designs: flat diaphragm springs or bent spring. The bent fingers are bent back to create a centrifugal boost ensuring quick re-engagement at higher engine speeds. This design enables pressure plate load to increase as the clutch disc wears and makes low pedal effort possible even with a heavy-duty clutch."

In any case, the flat fingers have nothing to do with clutch chattering.

Follow this link for a decent price on an OEM replacement clutch kit:

http://www.northernautoparts.com/Pro...ProductId=1484

According to JohnZ and as I read it in the manual the bent finger unit was used in 66/67 Corvette only. The difference was the length of the pivot ball. The one for the standard GM clutch was longer which changed the geometry (as I understand it). Had to use a different throw-out bearing and clutch fork (I believe).
Old 01-23-2009, 09:58 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

The intolerance to other approaches for keeping these gems on the road gets tiresome. Pay the $600 guy but insist on the balancing.

The only intolerance I have is to continually see people throwing money down a rathole to fix their cars. People that don't know what makes their car tick, don't want to learn and then take recommendations of what to fix, how to do it and how much to spend from people that don't have any more experience or knowledge than the person asking the question.

The "nothing is too good for my baby" mentality of car repair gets very expensive and in many cases is totally unjustified. It does however, provide a very good living for the various shops around the country that specialize in Corvette parts and service.

As I've told you before Frank, I had to work too hard for what little I have to just throw it out the window because of ignorance or lack of knowledge.

If you're loaded with cash, I can see why you have contempt for my position. If not, my words may make some common sense to some here.

Last edited by MikeM; 01-23-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:09 AM
muncieman
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A parts snob!

Nothing makes my job easier at pleasing a customer who brings me a car someone else has done a job on for much less money and the customer is not satisfied because he used low quality parts or someone else did. They wind up paying me to do it right and eat whatever they spent before but now are happy.

Especially someone who really has the will but not a license to own any type of hand tool. Reminds me of a real old timer mechanic I met once who was proudly proclaiming to me after visiting my shop that he never had need to purchase a torque wrench as he knew what tight was.
I would as I stated earlier be very concerned about the source and quality of inexpensive parts, especially a clutch package.

And for sure anyone who would trust anyones pressure plate or their own flywheel to be correctly balanced out of the box is just foolish and looking for trouble by not having it done, a facory small flywheel and clutch assembly from the 50's or 60's is upwards of 50 lbs, you don't think an imbalance of that assembly will make any difference at 2500 rpm? Where to have it done? ANY competent machine shop that balance their engine work can do it, at a rate that justifies their investment in the machine and there time. And if they do not balance their work I would strongly urge you to go somewhere else!

Parts cost? Well, that varies for sure, and to often you are paying for a shiney box, and of course in the case of a clutch it depends on what you expect out of it and how you intend to use it. You can spend anywhere from $100 to well over $500 for a clutch depending but there is for sure a difference in quality between them as a general rule. Its always cheaper for a reason thats usually the same, it may be more do to many different reasons which is up to an educated consumer to sort out.

Last $100 clutch someone brought me to install was made by LUK, he thought he had a good deal there and was proud of himself untill I pointed out that the throwout bearing housing was made of PLASTIC, yep, and he sold truck parts for a living and bought plenty of that brand for his truck customers, whom seemed happy. He did not want to balance it either,
Well, I told him I would have no part of it and sent him looking for someone else to do it, which he did, last I heard he was not happy.
And thought the mechanic must have done something wrong, hmmmmmmmmmm.

I have also seen inexpensive new and rebuilt units from the large chains I would not put in a lawn tractor, my goodness the diaghpram linkage levers were not even all the same height!

Remember the age of these cars and unless you have owned it since new, you just cannot assume anything is as it was when built, you do not know who has changed what or messed up what. If you own a vette, you for sure have pride in your car and want whats best for it and yourself , no?
Its ALWAYS easier to be certain everything is right the first time. That will ensure you stay within budget.

Be educated, use common sense, take advantage of todays newer technology when you can and its appropriate and remember that age old sayin'.............

Ya gets what ya pays for , OR , well , you know the others........
I bought a complete clutch system from Zip Products, all new no cheesie rebuilt cardboard stuff for less than $200. I also just bolted the bitch on the newly resurfaced flywheel without going to my machine shop to have it balanced.

It works just fine

I've seen a fair number of high dollar clutches not work, for whatever reason but it sure as hell was not the lack of spending big bucks.

Just because it cost more is not any way to select parts or pick someone to install them.

The clutches Zip sells are LUK, go figure
Old 01-23-2009, 01:31 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Sorry guys, but it almost makes me choke and puke when I see someone spend that kind of money on their cars.
I ABSOLUTELY realize that not everyone can, or will, work on their cars. But that is the exact reason that I do ALLLLLLLLL of my own automotive work, because I can't stand to spend money for something that I can do myself. So, for me, a new clutch, throwout bearing and pilot bushing is less than $100, which leaves me $500 to do something MUCH MORE enjoyable!

Tom Parsons
OK Tom, next time I need a clutch job, I'm offering YOU $100 (cash) to come down to Houston and change it for me
I'll even include your transportation and beer
Old 01-23-2009, 05:12 PM
uncle427
Racer

:lea ving:

Get notified of new replies

To $600 for new clutch - sound about right?

Old 01-23-2009, 07:30 PM
shemp
Drifting

Originally Posted by muncieman
I bought a complete clutch system from Zip Products, all new no cheesie rebuilt cardboard stuff for less than $200. I also just bolted the bitch on the newly resurfaced flywheel without going to my machine shop to have it balanced.

It works just fine

I've seen a fair number of high dollar clutches not work, for whatever reason but it sure as hell was not the lack of spending big bucks.

Just because it cost more is not any way to select parts or pick someone to install them.

The clutches Zip sells are LUK, go figure
Ialso used a clutch kit from Zip's bolted it on and it works just fine.

Shemp
Old 01-23-2009, 09:35 PM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

The only intolerance I have is to continually see people throwing money down a rathole to fix their cars. People that don't know what makes their car tick, don't want to learn and then take recommendations of what to fix, how to do it and how much to spend from people that don't have any more experience or knowledge than the person asking the question.

The "nothing is too good for my baby" mentality of car repair gets very expensive and in many cases is totally unjustified. It does however, provide a very good living for the various shops around the country that specialize in Corvette parts and service.

As I've told you before Frank, I had to work too hard for what little I have to just throw it out the window because of ignorance or lack of knowledge.

If you're loaded with cash, I can see why you have contempt for my position. If not, my words may make some common sense to some here.
Why can't you realize that there are all types of Corvette owners?

Some of them are very much like you. Some are completely different.

If an owner is totally loaded with cash, doesn't want to work on his car but would rather pay someone else to do it, so what? Why the hostility?

Could it be you are jealous that you can't afford it yourself?

If not, then take pride in the fact that you have the skills and knowledge to repair and maintain your car, but also respect or at least leave alone, the people who don't.

It's a big hobby, there's room for everyone.

No need to look down on or belittle other owners.

And before you jump all over me....I can afford to have others do all my work for me, but I choose to do most of it myself. Not to save money or shove it down other people's throats, but because I enjoy working on my car.

You need to chill out a bit.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:48 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Its OK hzz, I have a thick skin. I've dug ditches, carried a rifle in the Army, worked on a Navy flight line, was a mailman and a mechanic. I worked hard for my money too. Still do. I didn't get to where I am throwing money down any rathole either. MikeM is entitled to his opinion... I just don't care to hear his opinion anymore so that is why the forum provides 'Ignore Lists'... Which I've taken advantage of...

Quick Reply: $600 for new clutch - sound about right?