C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Tach cable lube?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default Tach cable lube?

Simple question, what is the recommened lube used on the tach cable and speedometer cable?

Thanks

Jack

PS If you read to the bottom of this thread you will find yourself back here and maybe you will have the anwser

Last edited by Jackfit; 01-23-2009 at 04:21 PM. Reason: additional comments
Old 01-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The old GM good stuff has been replaced with the new not so good stuff. I have tried the new stuff and it did not work for me.

So until I switch out to a mid 70 electric tach I have installed a column mount electric tach

Wish I had something better to suggest

Sorry

Doug
Old 01-21-2009, 07:50 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Jackfit
Simple question, what is the recommened lube used on the tach cable and speedometer cable?

Thanks

Jack
For nearly 50yrs I've always used chassis grease. NEVER a problem. I have a 1/2gal tub of Valvolene grease in the cabinet that I use as a genreal purpose lube for many things and it seems to be excellent.

Tom Parsons
Old 01-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
For nearly yrs I've always used chassis grease. NEVER a problem. I have a 1/2gal tub of Valvolene grease in the cabinet that I use as a genreal purpose lube for many things and it seems to be excellent.

Tom Parsons
Thanks for the info, sounds good to me,,I have owned the car for almost 40 years, I am doing the 4th restoration myself, I am amazed at how much I have forgotten.

Jack

Last edited by Jackfit; 01-21-2009 at 07:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-21-2009, 08:33 PM
gldnkngt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any quality cable lube should work fine. Just be careful not to over lube it. A lot of the repro or new cables come pre-lubed so you don't have to worry about it. If you're lubing your existing cable, lube it sparingly. More is not better and can create other problems.
A thin coat, and wipe off the excess, and you should be good to go.
www.harrisonspeedometer.com
Old 01-21-2009, 11:34 PM
Desert Nomad
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

White lithium grease.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:33 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Desert Nomad
White lithium grease.
I had a speedometer cable made up at a speedometer shop and when I went to pick up the cable I asked the guy what they use to lube the cables,and he said wheel bearing grease. As I was walking out the door,he yelled to me not to use lithium grease. I didn't ask him why not since I had a can of wheel bearing grease at home to use.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Desert Nomad
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

Can't tell you where I heard heard that lithium grease was reccomended, but I won't argue with a "Speedo shops" reccomendation. I have been using white lithium grease on my motorcycle cables and also the speedo and tach cable of the vette for quite some time without any problems.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Thank you everyone...tach lube

I ask a simple question and what do I get. No anwser yet to what lube to use.... Please ,, is there a Doctor in the house to give us the ""real anwser""

Jack
Old 01-22-2009, 02:28 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I ask a simple question and what do I get. No anwser yet to what lube to use.... Please ,, is there a Doctor in the house to give us the ""real anwser""

Jack
i have always used chassis grease with no problems.....im not a doctor but i have stayed at a holiday inn express a few months ago
Old 01-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Go to www.huskey.com/s_autogen.html for Slipkote Speedometer Grease. Then order some.

Larry
Old 01-22-2009, 04:24 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Jack
Well,I thought the wheel bearing grease, that the speedo shop said to use, was a pretty good suggestion......but if you don't like that one,I believe John Z uses Kable Eze. I think I remember he said he gets it at Corvette Central.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:32 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Desert Nomad
Can't tell you where I heard heard that lithium grease was reccomended, but I won't argue with a "Speedo shops" reccomendation. I have been using white lithium grease on my motorcycle cables and also the speedo and tach cable of the vette for quite some time without any problems.
I don't know what their reason was. Maybe that lithium grease is a little too thin and tends to thin out under heat? I will call them tomorrow and ask them,I would like to know myself.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:58 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

I called Lauderdale Speedometer shop today and asked them what they recommend to lube speedometer and tach cables, and he said brown wheel bearing grease. I asked him about lithium grease and his reply was, "absolutely not". He said that lithium is way to thin,and doesn't have the adhering properties to stay on the cable at the rapid spinning. He said it will thin out and be thrown off the cable to the inside of the jacket,and will eventually cause problems.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Sounds like we have a winner. Grease , brown or chassis, as long as it is petrol based.

Thanks everyone for their comments

Jack
Old 01-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Barrie Strachan
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tach cable lube

The tach cable on my '65 was squeeking when I bought the car. I didn't want to pull the instrument cluster (which you have to do in order to get the cable out of the housing) so I disconnected it at the distributor, held it with the open end up using a clamp, and put enough light gun oil in the end of the housing to sort of fill it up (maybe a dozen drops). I wiggled the cable around and up and down then left it overnight, by the next day the oil had worked its way down into the housing. Connected it back up and it's worked fine for months.

Yeah, I know you're not supposed to put oil in these cables, it gets in the hairspring and magnet of the tach and screws it up, etc etc etc. All I can tell you is I did it and it fixed the problem and hasn't caused any additional problems after more than half a year. And, it was easy.

FWIW, I've noticed some of the vendors sell a grease adaptor that screws into the distributor end of the tach cable housing and has a Zerk fitting on the other end. You screw it on the cable and pump some chassis grease (I guess) into the housing via the Zerk fitting. If my cable starts squeeking again, I make make one of these and try it.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:05 AM
gjfeng
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

This stuff works for me

Goes on like vaseline.

Get notified of new replies

To Tach cable lube?

Quick Reply: Tach cable lube?