Go Back   Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1 & C2 Corvettes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C1 & C2 Corvettes
General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations Sponsored by
Flaming River
Industries

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 01-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #1
sped921
Support Corvetteforum!

Default spark plug for GM 492 angle plug heads

Hello everyone. First post and I need the forums help. Recently bought a 1965 vert, stored in a local garage for the last 25 years. Brakes, fuel,ignition,cooling systems have been rebuilt to provide a safe weekend driver. NOM motor which is a 1971 350 block with GM 492 angle plug heads. I have rebuilt an HEI dist and used the set-up by Lars to get the timing sorted out. She runs like that first hot rod you drove in when you were 16, WOW. I want to make sure I have the correct spark plug in there to match the heat range needed. I don't know too much about the motor other than roller rockers up top, unknown lifters, Holley dbl pump carb, 36'total mechanical timing with an additional 10' from the vacuum can. I tried the AC 45S but they are the large diameter plug and do not fit the 492 heads. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which plug would be a good starting point? I am still taking short trips to perform the shakedown on the car so reading the plugs may still be a little premature at this point. Thanks everyone

Eddy
sped921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
GCD1962
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sped921 View Post
Hello everyone. First post and I need the forums help. Recently bought a 1965 vert, stored in a local garage for the last 25 years. Brakes, fuel,ignition,cooling systems have been rebuilt to provide a safe weekend driver. NOM motor which is a 1971 350 block with GM 492 angle plug heads. I have rebuilt an HEI dist and used the set-up by Lars to get the timing sorted out. She runs like that first hot rod you drove in when you were 16, WOW. I want to make sure I have the correct spark plug in there to match the heat range needed. I don't know too much about the motor other than roller rockers up top, unknown lifters, Holley dbl pump carb, 36'total mechanical timing with an additional 10' from the vacuum can. I tried the AC 45S but they are the large diameter plug and do not fit the 492 heads. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which plug would be a good starting point? I am still taking short trips to perform the shakedown on the car so reading the plugs may still be a little premature at this point. Thanks everyone

Eddy
Champion J12Y
GCD1962 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
sped921
Support Corvetteforum!

Default spark plug for GM 492 angle plug heads

Thanks so much.
sped921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
Old Blazer
CF Senior Member

No Face in it! Don't Tweet either! I've forgotten my name?

I use AC R43TS plugs with my 492 heads. The engine is an LT-1 with 11:1 compression. Should work for you too. If they foul out use the hotter R44 plugs.
Old Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:14 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1 & C2 Corvettes
Reload this Page spark plug for GM 492 angle plug heads

Tags
492, angle, casting, gap, general, gm, head, heads, make, motors, plug, plugs, recommendation, sale, shorty, spark, type