C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

New seats puts my head up to the headliner

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 05:51 AM
Olustee bus
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default New seats puts my head up to the headliner

I have had new springs, foam and seat covers put on my seats. A professional did it and they look good. However, my head hits the top of the car.

Should I expect that the seats will settle and allow me more headroom or do I need to do something now?
Old 01-22-2009, 07:23 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kinda like that ol' pair of comfortable slippers you hate to get rid of. The new ones look good but the old ones were more comfortable.

I would give it time. I'm not sure if they will actually settle but you'll probably get use to them.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:32 AM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Avoid large bumps in the road.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:46 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Olustee bus
I have had new springs, foam and seat covers put on my seats. A professional did it and they look good. However, my head hits the top of the car.

Should I expect that the seats will settle and allow me more headroom or do I need to do something now?

I have the exact same thing on my 65. I have put about 5K miles on it since the interior was re-done, I can't say if they have settled at all...
Old 01-22-2009, 10:59 AM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Olustee bus

Yes, its the foam and most foams will settle. I'm 6'3" and have a coupe. I had the same issue , and it seems just fine now (probably a combination of my getting used to it and the foam taking a set). The covers still look tight and tailored. My covers and foam came from Wilcox (CA). Remember too that your old seats had 40 years to sag...
Harry
Old 01-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Olustee bus
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vogie
Avoid large bumps in the road.

Yeah, right. Thanks

At present, I have to **** my head sideways to drive. I can scoot way down in the seat and my head will not touch headliner. I don't know how it will be when I drive it.

Oh well, I will give it a try.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:25 PM
632C2
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 202 Likes on 52 Posts

I had the same problem with the seats in my '67 convertible. I had a local shop put in new foam at the same time they put on the new covers. I installed them in the car and couldn't believe how high I now sat in the car.

It was totally unacceptable so I immediately took them back to the shop. The shop owner told me that they "might" settle down over time but he couldn't guarantee it.

I bit the bullet and had them remove the covers and cut the foam down. The seating position is now perfect.

Steve
Old 01-22-2009, 01:39 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

My seats are all new in the '61 as of 4-5 months ago and they have clearly settled...

I'm not that far from you and only 5'6" and I am willing to drive the car for an extended period until you are comfortable that the seats have settled properly. I will pay for the
gas of course...
Old 01-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm 6'2" and I was a tight fit in my '62 with the top up, even with the old seats. I had the guy shave the foams I bought from Al Knoch before he redid the seats, so I sat higher, but not awful. They settled a bit over the summer, but the truth is that I'm just too tall for this car when the top is up.

Paul
Old 01-22-2009, 02:30 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

These complaints are why I never had my original seats recovered. I replaced them with Recaro orthopedic seats - same cost, closer to the floor, side bolsters, thigh support, lumbar support.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:36 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Just a day or so ago one of the venders mentioned they have new foam that is not as hard as it used to be. I looked for the post but these posts move so fast it could be 4 pages back by now.

Maybe that might be a solution.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:44 PM
ah53
Burning Brakes

Received 491 Likes on 176 Posts

Just a thought. Most of my experience is with Austin Healeys so please forgive the reference up front but this has been a problem for many years with redoing interiors. Many of us solve the problem by drilling 1 1/2" to 2" holes in the foam from underneath but not completely through. The holes allow the foam room to spread as you sit. I don't know if this will work on vettes.

Joe
Old 01-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default Great Idea

Originally Posted by ah53
Just a thought. Most of my experience is with Austin Healeys so please forgive the reference up front but this has been a problem for many years with redoing interiors. Many of us solve the problem by drilling 1 1/2" to 2" holes in the foam from underneath but not completely through. The holes allow the foam room to spread as you sit. I don't know if this will work on vettes.

Joe

I like the solution that seemed to work for you on the Healeys. Makes perfect sense. Thanks as I am about to do the seats. I still like a wide ratio over the close ratio

Jack
Old 01-22-2009, 07:07 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by KC John
Just a day or so ago one of the venders mentioned they have new foam that is not as hard as it used to be. I looked for the post but these posts move so fast it could be 4 pages back by now.

Maybe that might be a solution.
Correct Johnny ! Check the archives for "Best Interior Supplier" from a few days back on the midyear (I mean C2) General Forum. Supporting vendor Willcox Corvette Parts addressed this issue about the seat foam. The new foam that had been on the market for quite a while was too stiff and bulky but the new supplier supposedly has it worked out to where the seats come out just right, great fit and not too tall or overstuffed. I am getting ready to do mine next month.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:53 PM
ah53
Burning Brakes

Received 491 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackfit
I like the solution that seemed to work for you on the Healeys. Makes perfect sense. Thanks as I am about to do the seats. I still like a wide ratio over the close ratio

Jack
Jack if would like I will try to find the exact measurements we used over the weekend.

Joe
Old 01-22-2009, 08:00 PM
rene-paul
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

If your seats are original 63's, they are height adjustable on the front mount. Dropping the front and adjusting the seat back pitch might help.?
brgds
rene

Get notified of new replies

To New seats puts my head up to the headliner

Quick Reply: New seats puts my head up to the headliner