C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fan shroud gap...what should it be?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:53 AM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Fan shroud gap...what should it be?

I just installed my new BE COOL radiator. When I installed it, I kept my old electric fan that was mounted on my previous aluminum radiator.

I have a gap between the radiator fins and my fan shroud gasket....say about 1/2 inch. I don't remember this on my old one. It doesn't appear that I can adjust it inward either.

Will this be an issue? Is 1/2 inch too much?
Old 01-23-2009, 10:26 AM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CWerner
I just installed my new BE COOL radiator. When I installed it, I kept my old electric fan that was mounted on my previous aluminum radiator.

I have a gap between the radiator fins and my fan shroud gasket....say about 1/2 inch. I don't remember this on my old one. It doesn't appear that I can adjust it inward either.

Will this be an issue? Is 1/2 inch too much?
the gap may have minimal effect, however you should seal it tight for max. efficiency.....try it first though...jmho
Old 01-23-2009, 11:04 AM
midyear1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this a pusher fan with it's own shroud mounted on the front of the radiator to augment the engine-driven fan, or the only fan mounted as a puller on the engine side of the radiator inside the factory shroud?

If it's an auxiliary fan, I don't think you would find too much temp difference because of the gap. On the other hand, if you need to remove your hood to R&R it, and the hood's still off, it couldn't hurt to get some adhesive backed foam or rubber strip and seal it better while it's still easy to do.

If it's the factory shroud, you could deal with it later if your temps end up too high this Summer.

BTW, I'm glad you resolved your radiator problem without having to deal with Jethro at the fillin' station in W. Podunk, who could rig you up with a good used radiator from the old Chevy in the back for about 300 bucks.

Get notified of new replies

To Fan shroud gap...what should it be?

Quick Reply: Fan shroud gap...what should it be?