C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Transmission fluid in bellhousing

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 07:50 PM
kbuhagiar
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Transmission fluid in bellhousing

Hello, folks,

Just put my 63 Roadster back on the road. I only drove it about 2 miles total because of clutch difficulties (wrong clutch, arrgh! ) Took out the transmission and clutch today and noticed a light film of what smells like transmission fluid around the entire inside circumference of the bellhousing. The pattern appears to line up with the end of the input shaft tube (where the TO bearing rides).

I'm pretty sure that I wiped the inside of the bellhousing clean before installation, so this just happened.

I'm confused because I cannot see any visible leaks on the front of the Muncie, nor does there appear to be any fluid on the input shaft, pressure plate or disk (not positive about the disk, though).

Can this leak be coming from the input shaft tube? Does this indicate a bad front bearing housing gasket, or more dire problems?

I may have overfilled the transmission a bit, but I didn't think this could be a problem - could it?

Muncieman & other transmission experts, I would appreciate your thoughts...and as always, thanks in advance to all.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:34 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

It sounds like it's leaking from the front of the case. Not that uncommon as the front seal is an interference fit if I understand it correctly. I believe that there was a thread recently where it was discussed about when putting the tranny together to put a globe of RTV there.

Dave
Old 01-31-2009, 08:43 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

but if i remember...in that same article i thought i read there WAS NOT a gasket or seal of any kind....in that area

correct me if im wrong..

jack
Old 01-31-2009, 10:33 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,728 Likes on 810 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Inside the bearing retaining cover there is a seal that the input shaft travels through. There is also a paper type gasket that is used to secure the bearing retainer to the main case.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:57 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

Default Front seal

There is NO front seal in a Muncie. There is a gasket for the front bearing retainer, but no front seal. It has been a long time since I had a Muncie apart, but if I remember correctly, there is a channel in the front bearing retainer that holds a small amount of gear oil to lubricate the front bearing. It gets fed as the gear oil expands and goes through the front bearing, and empties back into the case again through the front bearing as the gear oil cools and contracts. Every bell housing I have seen all have had a coating of greasy oil on the interior, but if yours is exceptionally wet, the only way it could have gotten that way is from overfilling the trans. If, when the oil expands from the heat, it gets as high as the bottom of the front bearing retainer throwout bearing collar, it will actually drip out and the spinning input gear will fling it all around, coating the inside of the bell housing. If it gets exceptionally wet, it can also get all over the clutch pressure plate and disk, and cause them to slip.

RON
Old 01-31-2009, 11:37 PM
uncle427
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rongold
There is NO front seal in a Muncie. There is a gasket for the front bearing retainer, but no front seal. It has been a long time since I had a Muncie apart, but if I remember correctly, there is a channel in the front bearing retainer that holds a small amount of gear oil to lubricate the front bearing. It gets fed as the gear oil expands and goes through the front bearing, and empties back into the case again through the front bearing as the gear oil cools and contracts. Every bell housing I have seen all have had a coating of greasy oil on the interior, but if yours is exceptionally wet, the only way it could have gotten that way is from overfilling the trans. If, when the oil expands from the heat, it gets as high as the bottom of the front bearing retainer throwout bearing collar, it will actually drip out and the spinning input gear will fling it all around, coating the inside of the bell housing. If it gets exceptionally wet, it can also get all over the clutch pressure plate and disk, and cause them to slip.

RON

If overfilled, definitely a problem, if incorrect oil used causing aeration, will also get out there, if trans was put together with a damaged bearing retainer nut, same problems potentially. Cannot tell you how many "butchered" bearing retainer nuts I have seen. A special wrench is required to install and remove it and it is supposed to also be peened onto a clearance hole to lock it. On top of that its a LH thread so you can see the potential for mishandling. The nut has a critical clearance between it and the bearing retainer and acts as a slinger. If damaged, it will not work properly
Old 02-01-2009, 01:42 PM
kbuhagiar
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks to all for the replies so far.

The lubricant I used was your basic Pennzoil 80W that comes in the yellow bottles.

So, if I am to understand correctly, overfilling a Muncie transmission can cause the fluid to seep out of the end of the front bearing tube? The fluid level is perhaps 1/4" above the bottom of the fill hole (I originally filled it on an uneven surface, removed from the car).

Thanks again.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:14 PM
uncle427
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drain out the extra oil, it could be a problem, yes
Old 02-01-2009, 08:51 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by rongold
There is NO front seal in a Muncie.
Correct - no seal of any kind. Photos below show the drainback channel cast into the back side of the bearing retainer, and its corresponding drainback hole in the front wall of the case.
Attached Images   
Old 02-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

I guess I should have come back and re-read what I wrote. When I said seal I meant that it is an interference fit and doesn't this become enlarged with age and cause this type of leak?

Dave
Old 02-01-2009, 10:20 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Hitch
I guess I should have come back and re-read what I wrote. When I said seal I meant that it is an interference fit and doesn't this become enlarged with age and cause this type of leak?

Dave
just the cluster gear shaft
Bill
Old 02-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Hitch

Dave
Think you are thinking about the countershaft to main case fit (no seal, just a light press fit - if any). This will leak if the main case hole gets enlarged / egg shaped. Some guys (me included) take the easy way out and seal it with a glob of RTV or a gasket. But that leak typically does not leak into the interior of the bell housing.

Edit: Bill beat me to it.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 02-01-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,728 Likes on 810 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Sorry about the input seal issue. I have been rebuilding too many Ford Toploaders and had a bout of brain fade. Believe me, the Toploader DOES use one.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:50 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

the Mopar A833 and the GM MY-6 use a lipseal on the input shaft. AND, like the Muncies, they will leak around the countershaft hole in the front of the case.
Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 02-01-2009 at 10:54 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission fluid in bellhousing

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid in bellhousing