C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fuel starvation: Dirt vs Vapor Lock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 01:15 PM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Default Fuel starvation: Dirt vs Vapor Lock?

It was about 70 degrees out and I took a short drive (Sorry, Northern Members). I filled the tank up with Phillips 66 premium which I’ve used before with no problems. Driving along a shady road about three miles later the engine starts surging but responds with pumping the accelerator, then it died. I’m running the factory Tri-Power, the engine doesn’t run hot, the engine compartment or the gas lines didn’t appear to be hot and I have COOL TUBE on them. With the air cleaner off I could see the bowl was dry, no accelerator squirts. I figured at this point that the fuel pump died or there’s dirt in the carb making the needle stick. I have a large filter by the tank and the factory ones on each carb if I recall. I tapped on the bowl and removed the top float adjustment screw and then put it back together. I was only 2 miles from home so I figured I could limp home by filling up the bowl manually. Luckily I had my vac gauge with me and a full tank of gas. I used the vac line off the gauge to dip out a few CC’s at time to fill up the bowl. The engine fired up and I drove about 3/4 mile and stopped to refill the bowl. To my amazement, it was full!! I drove home with no further problems. I’m also wondering if it may have been Vapor Lock except it wasn’t really that warm out. Maybe it’s a “winter gas” blend issue? I plan to pull the center carb off and check for debris etc. I'm not going to be able to rest till I see a smoking gun. Any thoughts? Thanks
Old 02-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by 6T7L71CPE
It was about 70 degrees out and I took a short drive (Sorry, Northern Members). Any thoughts? Thanks
That is the Curse that we Northern Members have placed on you Southerners for driving your cars while ours are cooped up in the garage. It affects Southerners in many ways, in your case it happened to be fuel starvation. The Curse begins to weaken around April, and has run it's course by the end of May. You can either wait until it's run it's course, or you can face St. Louis and bow three times while begging forgiveness.

Gerry
Old 02-09-2009, 03:38 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

it's definitely the curse!!.....no vapor lock......but still the no fuel gremlin bit you on the a@s.....hard to say what happened but you are correct in checking out the center carb for dirt or i think i would replace the needle and seat anyway ..good luck
Old 02-09-2009, 04:12 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Vapor lock can ONLY occur in the fuel pump, not the line to the carb, not the line to the fuel pump, not in the carb. And vapor lock is petty rare anyway, except maybe in Death Valley in July

A dirty tank strainer/sock can cause a fuel starvation problem, as can dirty fuel filters.

I would change my filters first. A stuck needle/seat or jammed float could also cause a starvation issue

Doug
Old 02-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Vapor lock can ONLY occur in the fuel pump, not the line to the carb, not the line to the fuel pump, not in the carb. And vapor lock is petty rare anyway, except maybe in Death Valley in July

A dirty tank strainer/sock can cause a fuel starvation problem, as can dirty fuel filters.

I would change my filters first. A stuck needle/seat or jammed float could also cause a starvation issue

Doug
Had an identical problem with an old Grand Prix more than once. A rap on the side of the bowl with a screwdriver handle jarred the sticky needle valve loose in each case...
Old 02-09-2009, 08:28 PM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Vapor lock can ONLY occur in the fuel pump, not the line to the carb, not the line to the fuel pump, not in the carb. Doug
I figured it was in the line to the fuel pump. Especially in the Vette with the line next to the exhaust manifold. I used to have one of the glass filters going to a Holley 4 barrel on this car (Until I heard about them breaking). It always had air in it, but still ran fine. Thanks

Dear Northerners,
It's raining now, I can't work on the carbs, does that make you feel better? My ancestors came from Nova Scotia. I'm glad they migrated SOUTH! Actually, I'm a native Floridiot, it's too cold here for me. ;{ )
Old 02-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Bill Irwin
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trebor, the fact that is occured after getting a fill up, leads be to think it is the gas that caused your problem in the beginning. Now, unfortunately, you have to deal with it. Bill.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:25 AM
landshark 454
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like you had a check valve hang up in the fuel pump. When this happens, the pump stops working. Just getting the engine running again could have freed it up. Tapping on the carb should have cured a hung float, and if the float was hung up there would have been pressure when you backed the float screw off. I doubt the fuel or the temperature or vapor lock is an issue here.

This could be an isolated incident, but if it happens again, replace the fuel pump.

Rich
Old 02-10-2009, 07:04 AM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by landshark 454
if the float was hung up there would have been pressure when you backed the float screw off.

This could be an isolated incident, but if it happens again, replace the fuel pump.

Rich
There wasn't any sign of fuel at the float screw when I backed it off and removed it. The pump is several years old but low miles, OEM type from CC probably. Should I go back with one of these or a rebuildable Holley or other aftermarket? Thanks
Old 02-10-2009, 09:24 AM
landshark 454
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would wait to see if it does it again. IF it does, I would get a high volume mechanical pump from Carter of Holley. Chances are you may not see the problem again. Rich
Old 02-14-2009, 08:19 PM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Default The "SMOKING GUN"!

"There's You're Problem"!!
This is about a 2" X 2" patch of KREEM gas tank liner that peeled off the inside of my tank and the pointy section was sucked up into the pickup line. I used this stuff years ago to seal my tank. I don't have a screen on the pick up, if I did, I'd still be driving!! I think it's time for a new tank and screen for the sending unit. The sending unit doesn't work either so maybe I can fix it while I'm at it.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel starvation: Dirt vs Vapor Lock?

Quick Reply: Fuel starvation: Dirt vs Vapor Lock?