C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Storage for your corvettes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Panama 58
Melting Slicks

Received 612 Likes on 334 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Storage for your corvettes?

How many of you guys pay for an off-site location to store your cars either during the winter or full time? Do any of you rent space at a storage location where you can access your car, do clean up, maybe change your oil, etc? These types of places seem to be popping up around the country. Just curious as to what people think of these types of facilities. Thanks.
Panama
Old 02-13-2009, 06:39 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I store 3 cars in rental units a few miles from my house. Sometimes corvettes are there, sometimes other cars. Working on the cars there is not an option due to restrictions of use.

Given that I'm choosing not to sell any cars, then I can either pay for 3 rental units, or buy a house with a bigger garage.

The latter would cost more per month by far, since my current house is paid off.

So, I see it as the cost of having too many vehicles to store at my current home.

I like that if I want to drive a particular car to work, I stop off at the storage place on my way to work and trade cars and only add about 8 minutes of total travel time to my short commute.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:05 PM
highschool67
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was thinking about buying a commercial condo in my area. 1200 square feet and heat. About 80k. I had a daughter going to college and had to pay her rent. I decided to buy a rental house instead of the commercial condo to give her a place to live for 4 years. I bought a 2nd house with a detached 2 car garage. My tenants pay the mortgage. Plenty of off street parking for my tenants and I have the use of the garage. I keep 2 collector cars there and 2 collectors at home.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:05 PM
gscott
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I purchased a storage condo for my cars that has heat water and dehumid 18 x 45 w/ 12 ft ceiling that is perfect for working and maintaining the vettes plus I can leave the mess without any static from the wife !

Gary
Old 02-14-2009, 04:19 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

when contemplating what to do with my 65 and my motorcycle while I was having my garge rebuilt, I considered off site storage units, but what a hassle if I just wanted to go take a blast in the car or on the bike - plus I like working on my stuff.

I went this direction, rather than the off-site unit, located it on the far side of my house, kinda out of site:

full details: http://www.portablesheltershops.com/SL733.html

I went with the basic 20x12x10 unit, did scrap in a plywood subfloor laid over 2x4s on the flats, and I moved in all of my toolboxes on the sides. My 65 and bike fit in there well, and have wintered in there (power cord in for the battery tenders). Figure I will sell it locally when done for few hundred.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:33 PM
prestige6
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ctjackster
when contemplating what to do with my 65 and my motorcycle while I was having my garge rebuilt, I considered off site storage units, but what a hassle if I just wanted to go take a blast in the car or on the bike - plus I like working on my stuff.

I went this direction, rather than the off-site unit, located it on the far side of my house, kinda out of site:

full details: http://www.portablesheltershops.com/SL733.html

I went with the basic 20x12x10 unit, did scrap in a plywood subfloor laid over 2x4s on the flats, and I moved in all of my toolboxes on the sides. My 65 and bike fit in there well, and have wintered in there (power cord in for the battery tenders). Figure I will sell it locally when done for few hundred.
Have one of these and an oversize two car garage with three cars in it plus one in the tent. I just bought a 20'enclosed trailer to store one in so, I can start another project...
Old 02-14-2009, 09:41 PM
nitromainia
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 70 Posts

Two are in a Carriage house at a rental property I own and two are in a 53' semi box... Time to consolidate.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by highschool67
I was thinking about buying a commercial condo in my area. 1200 square feet and heat. About 80k. I had a daughter going to college and had to pay her rent. I decided to buy a rental house instead of the commercial condo to give her a place to live for 4 years. I bought a 2nd house with a detached 2 car garage. My tenants pay the mortgage. Plenty of off street parking for my tenants and I have the use of the garage. I keep 2 collector cars there and 2 collectors at home.

Keep an eye on the garage. On VetteNet years ago, one guy's father in law had a set up like that with his '67 Corvette in the garage. The renters decided to sell off Corvette parts. When the FIL checked on his car after they had gone, he found lots missing.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:54 PM
ayperric
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to pay $65/month to store one vehicle at a storage facility - I did that for 2 years and then read a forum discussion about 4 post lifts, so I bought one. Best thing I ever did, and I just changed my side exhaust without rolling around on a creeper. Can't believe I didn't buy a lift years ago.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:06 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ayperric
I used to pay $65/month to store one vehicle at a storage facility - I did that for 2 years and then read a forum discussion about 4 post lifts, so I bought one. Best thing I ever did, and I just changed my side exhaust without rolling around on a creeper. Can't believe I didn't buy a lift years ago.
If I only had the ceiling height in my garages I'd already be a proud owner of several lifts...
Old 02-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

If you do store it in a storage facility, make sure it it has a good floor that will not allow excess humidity and the building / property has good drainage. I would also want a building that is sealed from rodents, but has good ventilation.

Have seen some "commercial" storage units with gravel or dirt floors.

Plasticman

Get notified of new replies

To Storage for your corvettes?

Quick Reply: Storage for your corvettes?