C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Window question

Old 02-14-2009, 11:35 AM
ren
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Window question

I'm still trying to get my windows squared away. Most of the hardware has been replaced. I need what I think should be called a window frame( 63 conv). A previous owner had the passenger window out of the frame for some reason and when it was re-installed, the frame was not attached to the window correctly. It's off by about 1/8 of an inch. Because of this ,the window won't crank properly. When the window gets to the top of the channel, it binds against the vent frame. I am referring to the metal piece that the window sits in. I've looked on every suppliers website and can't find it.I've tried adjusting the vent frame, but there doesn't seem to be a way to make it work. If I can find a new frame and mount it correctly, I should be OK. I'm hoping that someone might know the correct name and where I can purchase it.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:20 PM
gonefishn
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Although not available, the LICs catalog called it a "window glass mounting bracket".

I thought I saw those reproduced before but can't seem to find it yet.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:33 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Why can't you just remove the piece and reinstall it correctly?
Old 02-14-2009, 03:56 PM
ren
Burning Brakes

I was at a local "window shop" this morning. He told me that it would be very difficult to remove the window from the bracket without doing serious damage to the bracket.I'll try LIC on Monday. Any other replies welcomed.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:28 PM
gonefishn
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Do you need to replace the frame since it is wrong or are you wanting to get a new frame since you think you'll damage your current correct one?

You should be able to remove the glass without hurting the frame. Slide a razor blade on both sides then pull the glass out.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:00 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

The "trade name" for that part is "sash channel". Mark the glass and the channel with the current fore-aft location of the glass, cut the seal currently holding the glass in the channel and remove the glass, clean the channel, and re-install the glass in the correct location in the channel with "glass setting tape" (available at any auto glass shop).
Old 02-15-2009, 07:42 AM
ren
Burning Brakes

In addition to being improperly installed, the old channell has a slight "bow" in it. I'll try removing it, but eliminating the bow might cause more damage.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:19 AM
ren
Burning Brakes

I just did a parts search on several of the major vendor sites. Nothing re: window sash channel. Somebody has to make them.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:07 AM
gonefishn
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

The sash channel, by design, had a bow in it to fit the curve of the glass.

If you have a picture then it may be more clear what your issue may be or hopefully not be.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:49 AM
ren
Burning Brakes

The bow appears to be more severe than the one on the other side,
Old 02-15-2009, 12:52 PM
gonefishn
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Since the glass fits into the slash channel within 2 thickness of the glass tape it is hard to image the bow bend is off (unless the glass won't sit properly in the channel).

Is the glass fully seated in the sash channel? If yes, then you should be able to reuse it. If not, then I'd try to still remove the glass (run a flat razor blade on both sides) and try to repair/rebend the sash channel slightly.

I had the same problem with my front channel and fixed the damaged bend with a torch and carfull persuasion.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

Ren, lucky for you my doors are all apart now. I just checked my window frames in the coupe and they are not supposed to be completely straight where the glass fits in. If you look at the glass, it must follow it's slightly concave shape to fit properly. If your glass is set in the wrong position, it will make the sash appear bent. I agree with the other guys, use a small thin blade and carefully remove the glass from the sash, clean out the channel and get the correct setting tape and put em back in. When I did mine, bubba had used a big blob of silicone to hold the glass in no tape at all . Got the correct sash tape from CC and it all went back together very nicely. Pilot Dan
Old 02-15-2009, 01:31 PM
gonefishn
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Since you mentioned the glass of off by 1/8" causing your binding thought I'd mention what I believe is the correct way to locate the glass position that worked for me.

The sash channel window runner, that rides inside the rear guide, can be used as the guide for the glass placement. Use a straight edge along the winder sash runner and align the glass forward by ~1/8".

When the window is up the widest part is positioned between the unadjustable rear guide's top and the front vent window assembly frame guide. That location is the pivot point from which adjustments of the vent window assembly can be made via the bottom screw accessible through the inner door panel.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:04 PM
ren
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the replies. Once again. I've learned another lesson from forum members. Just hope I have the patience to do it right.

Get notified of new replies

To Window question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Window question