C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1965 headlamps won't roll up

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 04:19 PM
troutpilot
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1965 headlamps won't roll up

I'm a new member to the Forum and a new owner of a 1965 Sting Ray coupe. I'm also more of a driver than a mechanic. Anyway, bought this coupe late last fall and tucked it away for the winter. Rolled it out today and fired it up. Anticipating inspection time I tried the lights. They come on, but the headlamps won't roll up. Anyone have any hints on where I might begin to trace the problem to?
Old 02-15-2009, 04:25 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by troutpilot
I'm a new member to the Forum and a new owner of a 1965 Sting Ray coupe. I'm also more of a driver than a mechanic. Anyway, bought this coupe late last fall and tucked it away for the winter. Rolled it out today and fired it up. Anticipating inspection time I tried the lights. They come on, but the headlamps won't roll up. Anyone have any hints on where I might begin to trace the problem to?
try pushing up or down on the switch while watching the amp gauge, it should move the needle. if not you have an open circuit at the switch. this is where i would start my diagnosis.......
Old 02-15-2009, 04:25 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Im not being a smart A$$ but
you can turn them on but...
did you activate the switch to roll them up?
its on the driverside by the radio...

jack
Old 02-15-2009, 04:28 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 66jack
its on the driverside by the radio...

jack
On my 65 A/C car it's on the left side of the instrument cluster.

The main thing is there will be a switch under the dash with a silver paddle lever that you move forward or backwards to open/close the headlight buckets.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff

The main thing is there will be a switch under the dash with a silver paddle lever that you move forward or backwards to open/close the headlight buckets.
YEP, separate switches to turn lights on and roll up/down.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:15 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff

your right...i was thinking of antennae switch....

jack
Old 02-15-2009, 06:25 PM
VetteRed1965
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine came on but when I activated the switch to open up they did nothing.I took the switch apart by carefully reoving the two metal retainers.Took one of my wifes fingernail files and cleaned the two contacts.Then applied dielectric grease.Reassembled ,attached the wires and it worked fine.There are some pictures if you do a search on head lightswitch and take a look at the pictures.Its easy but take your time with the clips.It saved 100.00 dollars for a new switch.

Good Luck ,Mark
Old 02-15-2009, 10:07 PM
troutpilot
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I'll experiment further tomorrow.

Get notified of new replies

To 1965 headlamps won't roll up

Quick Reply: 1965 headlamps won't roll up