C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Setting Up J-56

Old 02-16-2009, 10:33 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default Setting Up J-56

I am finally going to re-install my original master cylinder. I had it re-built by White Post. The proportioning valve was also re-built.

Is there a way to bench bleed the MC and proportioning valve at the same time? Secondly, how do I change it over without getting air into the lines? I am not able to find any type of plugs or caps to install into the MC outlets that would block them. Will I have to bleed the system anyway due to the fact that the lines will be open and taking in air? Has anyone set up the proportioning valve. I don't know if White Post simply set the valve in a neutral position or if the bias was not set at all. Will need to do that also.

Thanks for any help.

Steve
Old 02-16-2009, 11:00 AM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 66BlkBB
I am not able to find any type of plugs or caps to install into the MC outlets that would block them.
Steve
I just took two flare nuts, installed a short length of steel brake tube in each one, and bent over the tubing to seal it. Worked fine.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:24 PM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Has anyone bench bled the MC and Proportioning valve together???????????
Old 02-16-2009, 09:05 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

No need to bench-bleed the whole thing all at once (master cylinder, distribution block, and proportioning valve); all you're trying to accomplish with bench-bleeding the master cylinder is to get the trapped air out of the cylinder bore.

Go to your FLAPS and get a $5.00 bench-bleed kit (blister-packed in the "Help" section); bench-bleed as shown in the photo below, then replace the two rubber hoses on the plastic fittings with rubber caps, take it to the car, make the connections, and proceed to bleed the whole system.
Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2009, 10:19 PM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JohnZ
No need to bench-bleed the whole thing all at once (master cylinder, distribution block, and proportioning valve); all you're trying to accomplish with bench-bleeding the master cylinder is to get the trapped air out of the cylinder bore.

Go to your FLAPS and get a $5.00 bench-bleed kit (blister-packed in the "Help" section); bench-bleed as shown in the photo below, then replace the two rubber hoses on the plastic fittings with rubber caps, take it to the car, make the connections, and proceed to bleed the whole system.

OK. I'll try that. Thanks again.

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Setting Up J-56

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Setting Up J-56