C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

restore now or wait: opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 12:52 PM
CP64365
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default restore now or wait: opinions?

Last year I removed my original power brake booster from my 64 coupe (365HP). The finish on the front of the booster was bad and had two areas of pitting. After removing the booster, I proceeded to remove the rust marks from the master cylinder (a reproduction cylinder) using a soft tooth brush and safestrustremover.com. It worked very well, I was able to clean the front of the booster down to bare metal. The back of the booster still has it original finish is good, but dirty condition. Recently, I purchased a restored original master cylinder.

Currently, I have a new reproduction master cylinder and a new reproduction brake booster on the car. I'm not thinking of restoring the whole car at this point. So, my question is: Should I restore the original brake booster now, since it is down to bare metal on the front, or just store it and wait till I perform a more complete restoration of the car? Would it be better to store the booster after restoring or wait and restoring it later. Your thoughts . Thanks
Old 02-16-2009, 01:05 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I wouldn't bother restoring it until you are close to wanting to use it. If you restore it now, and then 10 years decide to use it - do you trust that any moving parts inside are still good as new?
Old 02-16-2009, 01:44 PM
CP64365
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The booster was working when I removed it. The only restoration I was currently thinking about, was getting it re-plated. But, your point about the mechanicals is well taken. By the way Jeff, I like the weiner dogs. My wife and I have three of them.

Last edited by CP64365; 02-16-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:48 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Send it to Steve Gregori at www.brakeboosters.com - he'll rebuild it AND re-plate it; you can't do either yourself.

Get notified of new replies

To restore now or wait: opinions?

Quick Reply: restore now or wait: opinions?