C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1966 power antenna repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 12:30 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default 1966 power antenna repair

A long time ago when the earth was green , I wrote an article for the NCRS Driveline about how I rebuilt the power antenna for my 1966 Corvette.

I have emailed it to several forum members , and after getting yet another request for a copy I finally posted it on my website . Near the bottom of this web page http://home.mchsi.com/~magicv8
there is a list of help items . The Link to the article is the last item .
Old 02-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by magicv8
A long time ago when the earth was green , I wrote an article for the NCRS Driveline about how I rebuilt the power antenna for my 1966 Corvette.

I have emailed it to several forum members , and after getting yet another request for a copy I finally posted it on my website . Near the bottom of this web page http://home.mchsi.com/~magicv8
there is a list of help items . The Link to the article is the last item .
Good article, I lost my copy in a computer malfunction and requested another from Dave. He's done a lot of mods/improvement/rebuilds to various things on his mid-year, a lot of help/inspiration to me. And, he has been around a while . . . . when the Lord said, "Let there be light . . .", Dave was sitting on a hill watching the sunrise . . .
Old 01-12-2016, 08:04 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 276 Posts

I need to get a '66 power antenna working again. The link above is not working. Do you have an updated link or can you send me the article?
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:09 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

There is a two wire plug going to the antenna. Does the polarity get reversed in these two wires for up/down motion, or is there a separate ground and one wire makes it go up, and the other down?
Old 01-12-2016, 09:30 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

NVM, I figured out the wiring part, but original article would still be helpful.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:28 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Sungela
NVM, I figured out the wiring part, but original article would still be helpful.
That was almost 7 years ago.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:41 AM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 735 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Sungela
Greetings.I have attached a PDF of Dave's article from the Restorer. I agree with Ron's comments above. Dave was always above and beyond in helping me with my cars even giving me parts from his stash! We remain close friends. We had many great times together doing multiple Power Tours in his '66, "The Magic Machine". As Dave would say Lots of Miles, Lots of Smiles. We also hiked many, many miles with he and his wife in the mountains of Glacier and Rocky Mountain National Parks. Excellent times all brought about because our meeting through this forum "many moons ago".

Dave Z
Attached Images
Old 01-12-2016, 04:17 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks. I wired up the power antenna and it went up and down perfectly, so no rebuild needed. However, I noticed no conductivity between the center or outside of the plug which goes into the radio and the mast itself. I removed the end which goes into the antenna, but strangely saw no metal wire inside the inner plastic core.

I cut back a few inches, but still no inner wire. Maybe it got pulled out somehow and just need a whole new wire.

Get notified of new replies

To 1966 power antenna repair

Quick Reply: 1966 power antenna repair