C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Options for wiring electric fuel pump for anti theft?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Options for wiring electric fuel pump for anti theft?

Now that I've removed the red electric fuel pump power wire from the L shaped backup light bracket because I finally got the switch, I have nowhere to put the power wire. I know it has to go to ignition so it powers upon key turn, but I'd like to also wire it to disable the pump as an anti theft mod. Anyone have ideas about a mod like this? Toggle switch, cig lighter plug, et cetera? Also, where's rthe best place to power this pump from even without anti theft?
Old 03-13-2009, 11:44 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

the best place to connect it to would be the same terminal on the stater that the battery cable connects to.

we used a relay (in the power line to the pump) of sufficient amperage to carry the fuel pump load and then used an existing switch (can't tell you which one or how, or i'd have to kill you and everyone on the forum..) to activate the relay to turn on the pump.
Bill
Old 03-13-2009, 11:49 AM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got a toggle switch on mine. The switch allows me to disable the pump if I want to. Otherwise, it works normally with the ignition on. this solution works fine as long as I remember to turn it back on.

I've got it hidden, but again I can't tell you. I too would have to kill you and everyone on the forum.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:36 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

The absolute best way is to put a replaceable inline fuse in the wire to the pump, and then use a toggle switch to run a wire from the fused side of the wire, to ground.

If the switch is on, as soon as the car is started, the fuse blows and the fuel pump won't run, even if the toggle switch is flipped back to off.

You have to find and replace the fuse to get the car to run.

BTW, keep a pack of spare fuses in the car because you will occasionally blow the fuse by forgetting to turn the switch off. The fuse should be placed so it is easily replaced, a thief won't know where or what to look for.

Couple advantages to this on a carb'd car, there is enough fuel in the float bowl that the car can be driven half a block, meaning the car will stall in public, someplace a thief won't be inclined to hang around and figure out what is wrong. Also works well if you are in the car and someone points a gun at and says get out, quickly flip the switch, and get out, the car won't die right away and will let the perp get a few hundred yards away before the car quits, and simply flipping the switch, won't make it run again.

Doug
Old 03-13-2009, 12:40 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I run a 50amp breaker controlled cabin supply from the starter solenoid and branch a 10 amp fused line off that to supply the pump. The 10amp battery line to the pump is toggled by a relay that gets power from a fused ignition line switch. That way the switch isn't overloaded.

After the relay you can add a DPDT (double pole double throw) switch to secure the pump and turn on a small GM headlamp alarm at the same time. That way you won't forget and drive away with your pump turned off.

Links to wiring diagrams and pic hear the bottom of this web page:
http://home.mchsi.com/~magicv8
Old 03-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

OK well since I don't want to get offed so soon, is there a better way to anti thief the car rather than with the e fuel pump, or is this the best option? I'll just connect the fuel pump wire to the fuse block under the dash somewhere where it's switched (if there is one, my fuse box has all the markings worn off). Anyone have a pic of the fuse block with all the markings orr a page in the AIM for a '65?
Old 03-14-2009, 03:37 PM
w1ctc
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Combining it with an inertia switch would not be a bad idea. No body wants the fuel pumping after a crash.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:56 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

This probably won't help you but I installed a modern GM fusebox in mine. I just remove the coil fuse and there ain't no way the car will start. Even an experienced thief wouldn't catch that - since these cars don't normally have coil fuses. I do one more thing too but I'm not saying.

Now I have to seek each of you out and kill you.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:00 AM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

If you're going to run an electric fuel pump, you need to wire it through an oil pressure switch so that when there's no oil pressure, the fuel pump shuts off. No oil pressure like when the engine stalls, but the ignition switch is still in the "on" position. Like when you have a crash. Like what all modern cars that have electric fuel pumps do. The instructions that came with the electric fuel pump told you that.

If you're going to use a "kill" switch to the electric fuel pump as an anti-theft device (a good idea), then an off-on toggle switch is not a good idea. If they're in the passenger compartment, they're too easy to find. I don't care how many people you kill or how clever you are, a thief will find the switch. There's just not enough space in the passenger compartment to hide them. Thieves weren't born yesterday. And the old cigarette lighter trick was old 40 years ago.

Most modern electrical anti-theft devices use relays and a sequence of events to trigger the relay - either off or on. The relay(s) you can hide. You activate the relays via a variety of ways. Get an anti-theft device book or do some research and you'll see how this works.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:31 PM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

More and more this topic is getting very interesting to me. I have never been an electrical whiz, but I do like spy stuff and I think this will be my 15 minutes of fame type project. I'll look into Amazon for any books on this subject. You stealth switch guys are a scary bunch.

Get notified of new replies

To Options for wiring electric fuel pump for anti theft?

Quick Reply: Options for wiring electric fuel pump for anti theft?