C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Muncie Front Bearing Stake???

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 01:33 PM
JohnFromVentura
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Muncie Front Bearing Stake???

I just got my 67's M20 Muncie back together and I don't like the looks (or the possible look) of staking the front bearing nut into the hole in the input shaft! There isn't really enough meat on the nut to get a good tab into the input shaft hole. I'm extra concerned because this is how my last front bearing failed ... by the nut backing off and the bearing becoming unloaded. So far I can't get it staked even as good as it was! It looks like a 3/16" hole that is quite a bit lower than the threaded nut that needs to be staked down into it? Any idea's/tricks?
Any help greatly appreciated!
Old 03-19-2009, 02:17 PM
muncieman
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnFromVentura
I just got my 67's M20 Muncie back together and I don't like the looks (or the possible look) of staking the front bearing nut into the hole in the input shaft! There isn't really enough meat on the nut to get a good tab into the input shaft hole. I'm extra concerned because this is how my last front bearing failed ... by the nut backing off and the bearing becoming unloaded. So far I can't get it staked even as good as it was! It looks like a 3/16" hole that is quite a bit lower than the threaded nut that needs to be staked down into it? Any idea's/tricks?
Any help greatly appreciated!
I don't stake them, I use loc-tite and make sure they are good and tight. I'm sure there will be other opinions on this but so far, 35 years on the muncie, I've never had one come loose or fail.

Wally
Old 03-19-2009, 02:46 PM
JohnFromVentura
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by muncieman
I don't stake them, I use loc-tite and make sure they are good and tight. I'm sure there will be other opinions on this but so far, 35 years on the muncie, I've never had one come loose or fail.
Wally
Thanks!
What grade Loctite do you use ... blue, red or?
John
Old 03-19-2009, 08:41 PM
muncieman
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Blue.

Originally Posted by JohnFromVentura
Thanks!
What grade Loctite do you use ... blue, red or?
John
Blue, if you have it or red, both will work. I had some industrial stuff that was brown, way to much grip

Get notified of new replies

To Muncie Front Bearing Stake???

Quick Reply: Muncie Front Bearing Stake???