C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Front rotors still riveted

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 12:56 AM
barufaldi
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Front rotors still riveted

How common is it to have the front brake rotors still riveted onto the hubs? I am replacing the calipers on my '65 and the fronts are still riveted. I figured that the rivets would have been drilled out years ago. I have owned the car since 1995, and I have never had the knock off adapters off to see the rivets until now. Do people commonly reinstall the rivets? Or am I looking at possible original or OEM replaced disk/hub assemblies? The rear disks no longer have the rivets. This is to be expected if the parking brakes have ever been serviced.

Another question: How do I retorque the knock off adapter lug nuts on the front? I removed them with my impact wrench, but when I go to install them, how do I keep the hub from spinning while I properly torque the lug nuts?

Jim
Old 03-30-2009, 07:06 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Are you sure you have rivets in the front rotors???? My 66 has one piece rotors/hub. They simply un-install with the removal of the cap, cotter pin and nut.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:25 AM
barufaldi
Instructor

The rotor is separate from the hub. The rotor is attached to the hub as from the factory with rivets. I can remove both together, but I was curious as to why they were still riveted together. The standard procedure was to drill out the rivets to replace the rotor, and leave the hub attached to the car if the bearings were fine.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:12 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by barufaldi
The standard procedure was to drill out the rivets to replace the rotor, and leave the hub attached to the car if the bearings were fine.
In most cases, rotor replacement isn't necessary; stock rotors will easily last over 100K miles if OEM organic pads are used. If the rotors aren't scored badly and have adequate thickness, leave them alone.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:13 PM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

The rotor is separate from the hub. The rotor is attached to the hub as from the factory with rivets. I can remove both together, but I was curious as to why they were still riveted together. The standard procedure was to drill out the rivets to replace the rotor, and leave the hub attached to the car if the bearings were fine.

My error. Never looked at mine that close. I thought they were a one piece unit.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:14 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 66BlkBB
Are you sure you have rivets in the front rotors???? My 66 has one piece rotors/hub. They simply un-install with the removal of the cap, cotter pin and nut.
Someone before you has changed them - all '65-'82 Corvettes have separate rotors and hubs, riveted together at the factory prior to final machining of the rotor friction surfaces.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
In most cases, rotor replacement isn't necessary; stock rotors will easily last over 100K miles if OEM organic pads are used. If the rotors aren't scored badly and have adequate thickness, leave them alone.

Livin' proof. I've got 150,xxx on one car, over 100,000 on the other (odometer is kaput), and still have the original rotors on all four wheels on both cars, and in good condition. I'd venture to guess that I'm probably in the majority of mid-year owners in this situation, rather than the minority.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:33 PM
BrettG
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also had to drill them out on the front's of my 65(in 2008), rears had been done sometime in the past.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:53 PM
barufaldi
Instructor

I am going to repack the bearings and leave leave the rotors alone. I am still scratching my head on how I am going to install and torque my knock off adapters with the hubs free spinning. Anyone have any ideas? Do they make some kind of devise to hold the hub and keep it from spinning while I torque the lug nuts?
Old 03-30-2009, 02:10 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

I am going to repack the bearings and leave leave the rotors alone. I am still scratching my head on how I am going to install and torque my knock off adapters with the hubs free spinning. Anyone have any ideas? Do they make some kind of devise to hold the hub and keep it from spinning while I torque the lug nuts?
Never tried it, but what about the wife's foot on the brake??
Old 03-30-2009, 02:21 PM
BrettG
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wedge a large screwdriver between the lugs and it will catch on the
caliper or some other fixed component.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:51 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Stick a screwdriver in a vent slot in the outside of the rotor and turn it until the screwdriver contacts the caliper.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:41 PM
quahog
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Why not just put them back on with the impact. You'll just have to hold the rotor by hand and have at it ,should be good to go. Hope this helps Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To Front rotors still riveted

Quick Reply: Front rotors still riveted