C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1962 Rear Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 12:20 PM
62RDSTR
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 1962 Rear Suspension Question

Folks,

How can you tell if the rear springs are on their last leg? Is there a certain arch measurement or something else to determine their remaining lifespan? Also, can someone contrast/compare the four spring versus five spring leaf option in terms of ride height, comfort, etc...?

This is the first and only Corvette I have ever drove so I have nothing to compare it to. I'm aware the C1's don't provide the best ride (let's say they are a driver's car!) but it seems like the entire car is jarred with every small road imperfection. I have radials, replaced the original front springs, and have redone the front sway bar bushings.

And now I focus my attention on the rear...

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited by 62RDSTR; 04-05-2009 at 12:21 PM. Reason: sp
Old 04-05-2009, 01:12 PM
john neas
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jim
If you are looking for smooth ride and comfort the four leaf spring should be the spring for you. The five leaf was designed for racing applications.
Regards
Old 04-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by john neas
Jim
If you are looking for smooth ride and comfort the four leaf spring should be the spring for you. The five leaf was designed for racing applications.
Regards
I put an extra leaf on my '66 Mustang and was disappointed in how much harsher the ride became....although the rear didn't

'wrap up' so much on a hole shot with the firmer springs the car was stiff and 'bouncy' during normal cruising.

You need to consider that too jarring of a ride in these C1s can contribute to stress cracks...
Old 04-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Dave K.
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5 leaf springs would not be a as factory delivered. If that is important to you. On a previous '62, I replaced the springs with over the counter 4 leaf springs. They of course were the replacement style and not the correct grooved ones, again, if that is important to you. But, I found the ride to be harsh. On the '62 I have now, I had the springs retemperd and rearched. Ahhhh, the stance of the car is perfect and the ride is very good. They are also the original grooved springs. I would do it again in a heart beat.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 528 Likes on 377 Posts

I have the original grooved style springs on my 62. They are 5 leaf and do not appear harsh to me (and yes I know "harsh", having had a 7 leaf rear spring on my 70 Vette for a few months).

I have heard several times that the 5 leaf springs were not original, and I have no reason to discount this. But that is what I have. I have to assume a previous owner obtained the 5 leaf springs for drag race duty from GM (several other signs on the Vette indicate it spent some amount of time there).

I will also note that the ride got a tad smoother (although it never was harsh before) when I added rear Traction Masters (Traction Bars), and removed the Radius Rods. Kind of defies logic, but it is what it is.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 04-06-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Mine has the stock four leaf setup, I find that it rides quite smoothly. I now run radials, I wouldn't consider it the least bit harsh or rough riding.

Paul
Old 04-05-2009, 09:01 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 729 Likes on 623 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Dave K.
5 leaf springs would not be a as factory delivered.
where did you find that info? my 62 had 5 leaf grooved springs.
Bill
Old 04-06-2009, 09:29 AM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
my 62 had 5 leaf grooved springs.
Bill
Bill:

Factory 5-leaf springs were only used for '57-'59 RPO 684 cars. The factory 5-leaf springs have six anti-splay clips made of very heavy steel riveted to the leaf. They don't go all the way around the spring.

Maybe somebody added a leaf to your 4-leaf springs. I've seen that done before. My '59 4-leaf springs have two clips that have rubber isolators between the clip and spring; the two clips are at the front of the spring and go all the way around the spring.

Bill
Old 04-06-2009, 09:55 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 729 Likes on 623 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by mashinter
Bill:

Factory 5-leaf springs were only used for '57-'59 RPO 684 cars. The factory 5-leaf springs have six anti-splay clips made of very heavy steel riveted to the leaf. They don't go all the way around the spring.

Maybe somebody added a leaf to your 4-leaf springs. I've seen that done before. My '59 4-leaf springs have two clips that have rubber isolators between the clip and spring; the two clips are at the front of the spring and go all the way around the spring.

Bill
Bill
thanks. my car has been a 'Heinz 57' ever since i got it, so i have no idea where the springs might have come from.
Bill
Old 04-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Coves4me
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 62 has the original 5-leaf springs (grooved with heavy steel clips that don't go all the way around) installed and I would say the ride is firm, but not objectionable. It gets a little "jouncy" when the road surface has waves in it, but it doesn't bother me. I replaced our 59 with aftermarket 5-leaf springs and I would describe the ride as smooth, but firm, also. I like to feel the road!!!
Old 04-06-2009, 11:01 AM
62RDSTR
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks all,

My 62 is a Heinz car as well; it currently has five-leaf springs w/o grooves so I know they are not original to the 62. Once I get them removed, I'll take pics and see if they are of use to anyone. Perhaps they came from an earlier year car.

Thanks, Jim

Get notified of new replies

To 1962 Rear Suspension Question

Quick Reply: 1962 Rear Suspension Question