C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help! C2 Dash Panel Center Cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 05:00 PM
hokie04
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help! C2 Dash Panel Center Cover

I have my body at the paint shop and I was having them remove the dash and dye the dash. At the bottom of the center cover where it bumps out at the console the material has chipped off the size of a quarter leaving just the fiberglas. The console chrome moulding does not cover it. Are there any tricks to repair this or am I looking at a new dash panel center cover?
Old 04-21-2009, 10:47 AM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

My '64 had a small chip in it where the shift console chrome had rubbed against it and chipped the vinyl type covering over the fiberglass dash. I found a piece of scrap vinyl with a similar grain pattern. I put JB Weld on the spot to be repaired and smoothed it out. Before the JB cured but was starting to firm up I pressed and removed the grain side of the vinyl scrap onto the JB area to leave the grain impression on it. Once cured and painted the patch is not able to be seen. I tried this using some JB on some scrap cardboard first to find out when it was best to press the vinyl to transfer the grain. You could probably use some type of other filler in place of the JB but test it first. Worked for me. Hope it helps you with yours. Dave

Quick Reply: Help! C2 Dash Panel Center Cover