C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Speedo Needle Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 05:21 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Speedo Needle Removal

I need to remove the Speedometer Needle on my 67. Anyone ever done this? Al W.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:38 PM
bosshog8
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Firmly grab it and pull it straight off (without breaking it). Its scary, but it comes off.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:13 PM
RoadKing96
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

but emphasize pulling straight off.

I've used, a very small set of battery pliers, or what I call battery / water pump pliers. I'd guess them to be around ~5" long.
RK
Old 04-27-2009, 06:24 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadKing96
but emphasize pulling straight off.

I've used, a very small set of battery pliers, or what I call battery / water pump pliers. I'd guess them to be around ~5" long.
RK
I've tried that a couple of times. The needle didn't come off but the hub of the needle is nicely scratched now.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:32 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I thought you were supposed to twist it CCW while pulling up?
Old 04-27-2009, 09:12 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by 67vetteal
I need to remove the Speedometer Needle on my 67. Anyone ever done this? Al W.

There is more information here than you asked for, but I thought it might benefit someone.

65 - 67 SPEEDOMETER RESTORATION
Grasp the round part of the pointer between your thumb and forefinger. Turn the pointer counterclockwise while gently lifting and the pointer will come off. If the pointer and shaft assembly should turn freely together the speed cup is broken. Grip the shaft with pliers then follow the above removal procedure.
Remove the two screws holding the face in place.
Remove the two additional screws holding the speedometer head to the odometer frame.
Spin the gear assembly on the odometer frame to be sure the odometers spin FREELY. If not, the problem is usually with the trip odometer. Remove the two 1/4" cap screws holding the black trip odometer cover in place. Lift out the trip odometer. Now try spinning the gear assembly. If the remaining total odometer now spins free, the problem is with the trip odometer. If not, the problem is with the total odometer or both. Replace the total odometer first, then recheck.
Do necessary cosmetics.
Lift the worm gear from the old speedometer head. When the head was seperated from the odometer frame this gear became free for easy removal. This gear should be steel for proper operation, and must be clean and damage free. Put the gear in the new assembly. Worm end of gear (smaller diameter) goes into the odometer frame.
Reassemble odometer frame to speedometer head. When reassembling you must insure that
there is adequate clearance (a few thousandths up to 1/64" inch is OK) between the copper colored cup in the odometer frame and the small thrust washer on the shaft that the pointer goes on. Push on the back of the speedo where the cable goes in to take up any slack in the assembly. Try moving the pointer shaft in and out to check the clearance. If the proper clearance does not exist the copper cup must be moved slightly. This is done with a small punch or round object that is near the same diameter as the cup. This insures that the cup is not distorted.
Install the face with the trip odometer to the right.
Install the pointer by placing it at about the 12 o'clock position on the shaft. Push down while turning the pointer counterclockwise to the 0 position. Increase pressure gradually while turning and the pointer will be locked to the shaft.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:02 PM
rideryam
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by buns
There is more information here than you asked for, but I thought it might benefit someone.

65 - 67 SPEEDOMETER RESTORATION
Grasp the round part of the pointer between your thumb and forefinger. Turn the pointer counterclockwise while gently lifting and the pointer will come off. If the pointer and shaft assembly should turn freely together the speed cup is broken. Grip the shaft with pliers then follow the above removal procedure.
Remove the two screws holding the face in place.
Remove the two additional screws holding the speedometer head to the odometer frame.
Spin the gear assembly on the odometer frame to be sure the odometers spin FREELY. If not, the problem is usually with the trip odometer. Remove the two 1/4" cap screws holding the black trip odometer cover in place. Lift out the trip odometer. Now try spinning the gear assembly. If the remaining total odometer now spins free, the problem is with the trip odometer. If not, the problem is with the total odometer or both. Replace the total odometer first, then recheck.
Do necessary cosmetics.
Lift the worm gear from the old speedometer head. When the head was seperated from the odometer frame this gear became free for easy removal. This gear should be steel for proper operation, and must be clean and damage free. Put the gear in the new assembly. Worm end of gear (smaller diameter) goes into the odometer frame.
Reassemble odometer frame to speedometer head. When reassembling you must insure that
there is adequate clearance (a few thousandths up to 1/64" inch is OK) between the copper colored cup in the odometer frame and the small thrust washer on the shaft that the pointer goes on. Push on the back of the speedo where the cable goes in to take up any slack in the assembly. Try moving the pointer shaft in and out to check the clearance. If the proper clearance does not exist the copper cup must be moved slightly. This is done with a small punch or round object that is near the same diameter as the cup. This insures that the cup is not distorted.
Install the face with the trip odometer to the right.
Install the pointer by placing it at about the 12 o'clock position on the shaft. Push down while turning the pointer counterclockwise to the 0 position. Increase pressure gradually while turning and the pointer will be locked to the shaft.
Do you have info on tach needle removal?
Old 04-27-2009, 10:13 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Needle removal and install is the same as for the speedometer.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:22 PM
rideryam
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by buns
Needle removal and install is the same as for the speedometer.
This is a great site!
Old 04-28-2009, 04:08 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Buns, Thank Yoy for that Post! I'm dealing with a Speed Warning Speedometer so I want to be real careful. Al W.

Get notified of new replies

To Speedo Needle Removal

Quick Reply: Speedo Needle Removal