C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

another track 1 belt question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 07:03 PM
jlagarde
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default another track 1 belt question

I can't find any info on the belt to be used on the 1st track on my 66 big blk.

I'm wondering how it doesn't cause trouble after it loosens up without any kind on tensioning device. Pulley is solid with no shims for adjustment.

I can see how it would help but does anyone know a part number for this belt and what it's purpose is?

Thanks again for any help.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:36 PM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Mine is a DAYCO belt. It reads " GM9433722 FC 440 X 35.000 DAYCO 42-3529 ". What all of the numbers mean I am not sure. But this belt has been on my car since 1980 and it hasn't loosened up yet. Hope this helps.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:44 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jlagarde
I can't find any info on the belt to be used on the 1st track on my 66 big blk.

I'm wondering how it doesn't cause trouble after it loosens up without any kind on tensioning device. Pulley is solid with no shims for adjustment.

I can see how it would help but does anyone know a part number for this belt and what it's purpose is?

Thanks again for any help.
i think you will find this simple, cheap,no brainer type of engineering most affective and extra durable. the belt does not stretch if any at all and it assures water pump function if you happen to throw belts.....you really can't improve on that.....
Old 04-27-2009, 11:21 PM
zpletcher
Racer

Originally Posted by midyearvette
i think you will find this simple, cheap,no brainer type of engineering most affective and extra durable. the belt does not stretch if any at all and it assures water pump function if you happen to throw belts.....you really can't improve on that.....
Right on.... I took off the top pulley and fought with mine and gave up. Dan Martin, the corvette guru down here, put mine on.

He said it was a bear to put on , and both pulleys had to be taken off first..

Mine has been on for 3 years, and is still very tight... fan belts now are a thousand times higher quality than back in the sixties, just ask the corvair owners....

Cheers, Zale
Old 04-28-2009, 12:52 AM
landshark 454
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That little belt is a legacy of Corvette racing. As long as it is in good shape, it will not come off. It will take anything you care to throw at it, rpm wise, and still keep that water pump turning. My best friend uses that on my old L88, in a 67 Buick Gran Sport, that I put together 37 years ago. That Buick stilll kicks butt.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:01 PM
jlagarde
Pro

Default Thanks again for your help

just what I needed.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Mark Lovejoy
Pro

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

FWIW, Quanta lists two belts for that application, a long and short version. Same with the '65 396, I had to use the long version. The shorty would not fit.

Get notified of new replies

To another track 1 belt question

Quick Reply: another track 1 belt question