C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Block casting date vs. engine build date for a '67 427cid

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 11:20 AM
sixtyseven427
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Block casting date vs. engine build date for a '67 427cid

Does anyone know if there is an "absolute" minimum amount of time between an engine block's casting date and the engine build date? In Noland Adam's book and in other sources I have seen castings take place anywhere from 6 days to 45 days prior to the engine build date. However, when you have a car judged by the NCRS, the only rule is that the casting date must precede the build date-but no minimum allowable margin is set by the judging body. To quote page 64 of the '67 Judging Manual: "The casting date must precede the engine pad assembly stamping....(and)....the approximate vehicle assembly date, but not by more than six months." So, the NCRS is saying that the engine can't be cast more than 6 months prior to the build date but it could conceivably have been cast the day before and still pass the judging rules. Does anyone know how fast a 427 block could have made it from Tonowanda to having its vin pad stamped? Thanks.
Old 02-03-2002, 12:32 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Default Re: Block casting date vs. engine build date for a '67 427cid (sixtyseven427)

It could conceivably be as little as over a weekend - the block could be cast at the Tonawanda foundry on Thursday, machined and assembled (and pad-stamped) on Friday, shipped to St. Louis over the weekend, and go in a car (and be VIN-stamped) on Monday. This was not the norm, but it's possible. Engines were all shipped by rail in those days, so any gap between Tonawanda stamp date and car build date of less than three days would be suspect - the norm was a week to 10 days, depending on inventory conditions, strikes, etc.
Old 02-03-2002, 02:57 PM
boerio
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Block casting date vs. engine build date for a '67 427cid (sixtyseven427)

JohnZ's post is pretty consistent with what I've heard. You might also try posting over at ncrs.org's web site in their technical forum.

- Jeff
Old 02-04-2002, 12:25 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Block casting date vs. engine build date for a '67 427cid (boerio)

I have looked at a lot of these and the shortest time from foundry to assembly that I have seen is two days. The most are from 7 to 30 days with 10-15 most prominent. I am sure that this would change at certain times or with certain configurations, but they were building them up about as fast as they could most of the time. Interestingly survey results indicates that they cast and assembled engines in batches on certain days. You will see lots of blocks cast on certain days and then used in production over a month or so.
My 67 427-390 is cast C77 and assembled 0317, and installed in the body May 1. The survey shows C77 block used from 14,200 serial number through 17,500.

Get notified of new replies

To Block casting date vs. engine build date for a '67 427cid

Quick Reply: Block casting date vs. engine build date for a '67 427cid