C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

A833 trans for 200 bucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 07:16 PM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Default A833 trans for 200 bucks

www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=179381
i thought i would post here since some of you guys are thinking of the
tranny for overdrive. it is in ny. jim
Old 05-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by jdk971
www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=179381
i thought i would post here since some of you guys are thinking of the
tranny for overdrive. it is in ny. jim
I doubt it is for a GM. The A833 was a Mopar Trans that came in a variety of vehicles and different configurations (including an overdrive version).

But it is not compatible with a GM bell housing (unless there is an adapter available).

The GM version of the A833 was called the MY6 and was an overdrive trans (3rd was 1:1, and 4th was .73 OD), and was used in Chevy and GMC pickups and vans about 1980 through 1986. It has a GM bolt pattern, and the input and output splines are "standard" GM. same length as a Muncie, etc. It was produced by New Process (a Chrysler company) for GM. For further info, please either do a search under my forum name and type in: "MY6", or send me a PM, or even ask here.

Note that there are 2 different versions of this MY6 trans, with one having a very unique bell housing that to my knowledge was not used anywhere else (so that version must be used with only that bell housing). The other more common version can be used with any GM "standard" TRUCK bell housing. The truck bell housing has a larger center hole due to the truck transmission's use of a larger front bearing retainer. In other words, if your are obtaining one of these transmissions, make sure it either comes with the bell housing, or it is the standard pattern version.

Plasticman

Quick Reply: A833 trans for 200 bucks