C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What weight oil should be used?327/300

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 11:28 AM
lrj975
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by chris ritchie
2. Use a CI-4 rated oil. This is usually called oil for diesel engines. Don't use the usual "SM" or "SL" oil designed for gasoline engines. The oil manufacturers have reduced the amount of zinc (ZDDP) and other additives in "SL" or "SM" oil. This is because those additives can hurt catalytic converters and are not needed for modern roller lifter engines. CI-4 (diesel) still has the additives. Your car doesn't have roller lifters or a catalytic converter. But it does have flat tappets which want the additives.

I'm on Chevron Delo400 15W-40 diesel CI-4
Old 06-07-2009, 01:37 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Forget the brand names and synthetic marketing hype - they're meaningless. Select the weight that works best for your cold-start driving conditions, and the only thing that really matters is the API service rating that's listed FIRST on the API "donut" on the container. If you want an adequate level of ZDDP anti-wear additive to protect your cam and lifters, you want a CI-4 or CJ-4 API service rating listed FIRST (see photo below). You do NOT want an oil that has "SM" as the first-listed service rating.

Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Brumbach
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

As per recommendations from the forum, I recently changed over to diesel rated oil, i.e., Castrol tection extra 15W-40 (CJ-4) and have experienced a significant rise in oil pressure. At 3000 rpms, it's reaching reaching oil pressures just shy of 60 psi. Before the change over, I routinely used Castrol 10w30 (non-diesel rated) with an oil pressure at the same rpm around 45 psi. What do you think?
Old 06-07-2009, 08:59 PM
JohnFromVentura
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Brumbach
As per recommendations from the forum, I recently changed over to diesel rated oil, i.e., Castrol tection extra 15W-40 (CJ-4) and have experienced a significant rise in oil pressure. At 3000 rpms, it's reaching reaching oil pressures just shy of 60 psi. Before the change over, I routinely used Castrol 10w30 (non-diesel rated) with an oil pressure at the same rpm around 45 psi. What do you think?
Amen brother, I thought it was just me!
Old 06-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I use the Shell Rotella-T 15-40wt.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:45 AM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Kensmith
I use the Shell Rotella-T 15-40wt.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:47 PM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Forget the brand names and synthetic marketing hype - they're meaningless. Select the weight that works best for your cold-start driving conditions, and the only thing that really matters is the API service rating that's listed FIRST on the API "donut" on the container. If you want an adequate level of ZDDP anti-wear additive to protect your cam and lifters, you want a CI-4 or CJ-4 API service rating listed FIRST (see photo below). You do NOT want an oil that has "SM" as the first-listed service rating.

After John z's post I decided to go out in the garage and see the case of oil I just bought and installed and sure enough it was SM 10-30 rated. I will keep it in until the next oil change.

I came across this engine oil guide while doing some oil research.

http://www.api.org/certifications/en..._Oil_Guide.pdf
Old 06-13-2009, 09:17 AM
stratplus
Drifting

Default the right/wrong oils

Johnz if a car has hydraulic lifters and roller rockers, oil changed every 3,000 miles, do you still recommend think that the SM is not good enough and should stick with a CI or CJ rating?
Old 06-13-2009, 11:51 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by stratplus
Johnz if a car has hydraulic lifters and roller rockers, oil changed every 3,000 miles, do you still recommend think that the SM is not good enough and should stick with a CI or CJ rating?
The key wear point is between the cam lobes and the face of the lifters; if the valvetrain (including the cam and valve springs) is all stock and the engine has miles on it, you may be safe in the long run with SM oils, but the reduction in anti-wear additives that became effective with the SM oils presents a risk - your call whether to accept it.

My engines are in that category, and I switched to CI-4 and CJ-4 oils a couple of years ago to maintain the anti-wear additive protection afforded by the pre-SM oils we used to buy.

If a cam lobe wipes, you pull the engine, tear it down, and start all over again - that's a lot of time and expense you can avoid.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:39 PM
stratplus
Drifting

Default oils

The key wear point is between the cam lobes and the face of the lifters; if the valvetrain (including the cam and valve springs) is all stock and the engine has miles on it, you may be safe in the long run with SM oils, but the reduction in anti-wear additives that became effective with the SM oils presents a risk - your call whether to accept it.

My engines are in that category, and I switched to CI-4 and CJ-4 oils a couple of years ago to maintain the anti-wear additive protection afforded by the pre-SM oils we used to buy.

If a cam lobe wipes, you pull the engine, tear it down, and start all over again - that's a lot of time and expense you can avoid.
Thanks, I will not continue to use the SM. Everything new about 15,000 miles ago.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:33 PM
stratplus
Drifting

Default oil for 60

What brand are you using for oil? I went to Advanced Auto and Pep boys today and ALL of the 10-30 had the SM seal.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:15 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by stratplus
What brand are you using for oil? I went to Advanced Auto and Pep boys today and ALL of the 10-30 had the SM seal.
The CI-4 and CJ-4 oils are diesel oils. Common brands are Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac, Chevron Delo, etc., but the brand name doesn't matter - all that matters is that the first-listed API service classification on the API "donut" symbol is CI-4 or CJ-4. Wal-Mart has their own house brand, and it's just as good as the others - they're all certified to the same API standards. 15W40 is the most commonly available weight, and works just fine.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:54 AM
stratplus
Drifting

The CI-4 and CJ-4 oils are diesel oils. Common brands are Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac, Chevron Delo, etc., but the brand name doesn't matter - all that matters is that the first-listed API service classification on the API "donut" symbol is CI-4 or CJ-4. Wal-Mart has their own house brand, and it's just as good as the others - they're all certified to the same API standards. 15W40 is the most commonly available weight, and works just fine.
Thanks.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:34 PM
AndyDC20009
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tmpugel
What weight oil should I use in 1963 SWC 327 ci/300 hp? It's an original engine never overhauled with 59,000 miles.Would a multi grade 10W30 be okay or just 30 weight? What about the synthetic oils that I use in my new cars are they okay in the older engines? After a lot of drive train and suspention work this is my first oil change since buying it.
Thanks,
Tom
I've always used Quaker State 10W-30 in all the classics I've had....63 Lincoln convert, 66 Mustang Convert, 69 Mercedes 280SL and now my fave...a 67 C2 Convert with 327/300. Never had any significant engine problems with these cars and never used a zinc additives. I know there are other opinions out there about adding zinc but I don't use it and previous mechanics have not recommended it.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:00 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Been running diesel-spec Rotella for years in all my old flat tappet cars. Excellent stuff.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:31 PM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

...a cam lobe wipes...
I've always been curious about this phrase, which I've seen in the Forum numerous times. Unless some other localized mechanical failure occurs first (lifter? rocker? valve spring? push rod?), how would a single lobe get wiped? If the problem is insufficient ZDDP in the oil, wouldn't the cam still wear fairly evenly, albeit excessively?
Old 06-23-2016, 07:33 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

This is what I use
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To What weight oil should be used?327/300

Old 06-23-2016, 07:40 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by tmpugel
Thanks for the helpful replies! I put EXXON Superflo 10W30 and will add a zinc supplement.
Have any of you put the filter adapter on so a spin on type filter can be used instead of the can with filter cartridge inside? It would make changing the filter easier.
Tom
Yes, I use the filter adapter, only because the oil filter is much shorter. This makes a greater distance from the exhaust pipe and heat off the pipe.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:42 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Been running diesel-spec Rotella for years in all my old flat tappet cars. Excellent stuff.
Absolutely!
Old 06-23-2016, 07:57 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by GCD1962
You have a standard HP engine with Hydraulic lifters. Use any good brand 10-30w oil. Forget about all the other stuff - zddp, diesel oil, synthetic, etc. Not needed for your engine and amount of driving.
It's still a flat tappet cam and lifters so zinc is required for anti wear properties.

Quick Reply: What weight oil should be used?327/300