C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

One wire alternator conversion/ with a new location

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 10:07 PM
zim64
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default One wire alternator conversion/ with a new location/went for a drive and OOPS

I am going to put a one wire mini alternator on my car and move the location to the lower left engine mounting.

http://www.ecae.com/alt-kits.html

I plan on using kit 2407 or 2415.

What do I need to do to hook up the one wire?

this will allow me to get rid of the mount on the ugly header bracket on the pass side which is a pain in the a$$ to work around on the already crowded side of the engine.

Last edited by zim64; 11-15-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Aussi-66
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A word of caution, I have a low mount alternator like the kit you are going with on my Jag. It used to vacuum up all the crud off the road which did nothing to add the the outstanding reliablity of my Lucas system. I replaced the Lucas with a Bosch but the main factor in getting the reliability of the charging system to normal was a crud shield in front of the alternator. It is just a piece of aluminum attached with a couple of screws to the bottom edge of the body, it extends to just under the alterator.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:13 AM
bosshog8
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Electrically? You need nothing except 1-wire going to the battery or going to any wire that eventually ends up at the battery. eg.starter, etc..
Old 06-09-2009, 08:23 AM
1Sweet66
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good luck! I'd like to see a picture of this when your done.

I would think that the engine compartment would look pretty clean just seeing the engine with the alt. mounted low. I guess no power steering for you?
Old 06-09-2009, 09:49 AM
redred65cpe
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bosshog8
Electrically? You need nothing except 1-wire going to the battery or going to any wire that eventually ends up at the battery. eg.starter, etc..
As long as the gauge/size along the whole path can carry the current. Usually 6-8 gauge depending on length with most alternators. High output ones might require 4 gauge.

larry
Old 06-09-2009, 10:49 AM
bowtie racing
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the link. I really like those low mount out of sight systems
Old 06-09-2009, 03:33 PM
kbuhagiar
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zim64
I am going to put a one wire mini alternator on my car and move the location to the lower left engine mounting.

http://www.ecae.com/alt-kits.html

I plan on using kit 2407 or 2415.

What do I need to do to hook up the one wire?

this will allow me to get rid of the mount on the ugly header bracket on the pass side which is a pain in the a$$ to work around on the already crowded side of the engine.
Make sure it will fit - ask the vendor before you buy.

I wanted to do the same thing, but the low mount kit I purchased wouldn't clear the frame. Perhaps you will have better luck with the smaller alternator.

Good luck!
Old 06-09-2009, 05:05 PM
zim64
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kbuhagiar
Make sure it will fit - ask the vendor before you buy.

I wanted to do the same thing, but the low mount kit I purchased wouldn't clear the frame. Perhaps you will have better luck with the smaller alternator.

Good luck!
I do plan on calling them, to ask about the output. The ultra mini only puts out 55 amp. the supermini puts out 55amp at idle/74 max.
I will wait until I get the engine back in the car, to make some measurements, but after looking at a couple race cars this weekend having this setup, it looks like it will all be behind the crossmember, but measurements will be taken.

thanks for the input guys.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:07 PM
zim64
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bosshog8

This does come with a wiring kit, but what to do with the old wires from volt. regulator, and alt. hookup?
I'm a idiot when it comes to wiring stuff.

Thanks, Dave
Old 06-09-2009, 05:30 PM
bosshog8
Pro

This does come with a wiring kit, but what to do with the old wires from volt. regulator, and alt. hookup?
I'm a idiot when it comes to wiring stuff.

Thanks, Dave

Just disconnect it and combine it in the loom. It will be fine as long as it is protected from contacting other things. I attached a picture of mine (not a show car).

Old 06-09-2009, 06:31 PM
zim64
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks Boss. So the radiator support mounted original volt. reg. has no use then?
Old 06-09-2009, 07:06 PM
bosshog8
Pro

thanks Boss. So the radiator support mounted original volt. reg. has no use then?
Correct. You don't have to get rid of it but I did. I don't know what year you have but if you left it and there were a warning light , it would be lit. I don't know if any corvette even had that! Your amp gauge is obviously useless now as well so there is no reason to keep the regulator. Mine is a 66 L79 and was right on the wheel well in that pic where the 3 holes are. I just unplugged everything and taped it up along the loom. I reused the 10 gauge positive from the original wiring and added a second 10 gauge right to the battery which I combined in the loom. Left all the connectors and plugs in case in the future I sell the car and someone wants to return it to original.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:08 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

None. I have a 1-wire on my '64 and all that stuff is still in place. I just connected the existing red batt wire to the alternator, connected the old ground wire to a bolt in the case (even though it is grounded through the engine), cut off the plug with the field/lights wires, and tucked these back into the loom. Nothing else is changed.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:52 PM
zim64
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Beautiful, thanks guys
Old 06-10-2009, 12:15 AM
mechron
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i hate to be the naysayer, but i don't think any of those kits will work (MAYBE the 2407 kit just MIGHT???).
the problem is the alternater brackets WILL hit the tab on the frame that mounts the lower control arm shaft.

it can be done. i had to modify both brackets severly to get the upper alt mount to move all the way up to where that freeze plug is and tuck the alternator mount in right aginst the block. with all this done the lower part of the bracket just barely clears the mount.
those kits are kinda expensive, i bought a chrome bracket like 2410 from speedway or fleebay for about $30 and a chrome 1 wire from summit for $112.

Last edited by mechron; 06-10-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:30 PM
zim64
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Mechron, do you have a link to the brackets?
I was wondering about piecing together my own kit, even making my own bracket.
I'm a retard on electronics, so I don't know what amps I need, or if I can even use different types of alternators. I see the mini in one of the kits I was looking at is a Mitsubishi type. What should I be looking for as far as output (I have 37amp now) and is wiring a big headache to figure out to make an off the shelf unit work for my needs?
Old 06-11-2009, 01:01 AM
mechron
Drifting

zim64, it would be hard to explain so i talked to astrodokk tonight and he will come over and get some pics of the modified brackets tomorrow or the next day and i will post links to the unmodified bracket and describe the mods with pics...

PS: the wiring is really simple, with a 1 wire GM alternator mounted low you just run one wire through some nylon clamps on the oil pan bolts from the B+ terminal on the alt to the big terminal on the solenoid the +battery cable bolts to to tie it into the battery, you can do it (heck, even a monkey can do it...HAHA)

Last edited by mechron; 06-11-2009 at 01:14 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To One wire alternator conversion/ with a new location

Old 06-11-2009, 10:50 PM
zim64
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

OK, I might get it then.....

I'll check your pics when you get em up.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:09 PM
mechron
Drifting

OK, I might get it then.....

I'll check your pics when you get em up.
hi, be patient, dokk came over and took pics today and will post in a little while. we took pics of the alternator on the engine then we pulled the brackets and laid them out on the floor for you to see.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:27 AM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default And here they are!

Enjoy! I'll let mechron pipe in on these.

Quick Reply: One wire alternator conversion/ with a new location