C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need to improve ride, QA-1, rear coil-over?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Need to improve ride, QA-1, rear coil-over?

Ok, I still don't care for the buckboard ride on my 65 coupe. Currently has a small block motor, VB&P 330# rear composite spring with Bilstein Sport shocks. I have tried the VB&P KYB special rear shocks and the Bilstein HDs but they were not as good as the Sports. It seems like too much bounce in the rear. Will QA-1 be adjustable enough to smooth out that bounce or is it just the way the rear spring is? All bushings front and rear are new poly. New front Moog stock springs. Might be I am already getting the best ride or maybe my seats need new springs and stuffing? Are there any rear coil-over setups that are good?
Old 06-23-2009, 08:55 PM
jcapps
Drifting

Received 546 Likes on 168 Posts

Hey Ken maybe you should just get a Lexus
Old 06-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jcapps
Hey Ken maybe you should just get a Lexus
Naw, then I'd have to move to a foreign car forum and ask the same dumb questions. My wife went for a ride with me and complained it didn't ride any better than the 32 coupe did. Just corners better
Old 06-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Glasshole
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kensmith
My wife went for a ride with me and complained it didn't ride any better than the 32 coupe did. Just corners better
Don't take the wife out any more and everything will be fine........hehe

Cheers,

Bob
Old 06-24-2009, 08:00 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Hey Ken,
I've used QA1 adjustables on all of the resto cars that I've built, and had pretty good luck in smoothing the "buck". The adjustment affects both compression and rebound. I don't remember the start point, but I think at #6, the shock is 50/50. As you turn the numbers lower, the compression goes down, and rebound gets higher. Essentially, you can adjust for a 90/10 or a 10/90 compression and rebound, which should "fix" any ride issues. Don't quote me on my numbers. I'd give QA1 a call, or just experiment. Hope this helps. Good luck. Mike Coletta
Old 06-24-2009, 08:36 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Ken,
As we discussed in our PM this is the reason that I have stayed with the stock rear spring. A lot of guys have the fiberglass rear spring and really seem to like them but my experience is the bouncy ride. I can't believe that the spring manufactures have not been able to develop a shock that would fix this problem. I wonder if the 300# spring would be any better?

Larry
Old 06-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 61retro
Hey Ken,
I've used QA1 adjustables on all of the resto cars that I've built, and had pretty good luck in smoothing the "buck". The adjustment affects both compression and rebound. I don't remember the start point, but I think at #6, the shock is 50/50. As you turn the numbers lower, the compression goes down, and rebound gets higher. Essentially, you can adjust for a 90/10 or a 10/90 compression and rebound, which should "fix" any ride issues. Don't quote me on my numbers. I'd give QA1 a call, or just experiment. Hope this helps. Good luck. Mike Coletta
Those would be the double adjustables?
Old 06-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by woodsdesign
Ken,
As we discussed in our PM this is the reason that I have stayed with the stock rear spring. A lot of guys have the fiberglass rear spring and really seem to like them but my experience is the bouncy ride. I can't believe that the spring manufactures have not been able to develop a shock that would fix this problem. I wonder if the 300# spring would be any better?

Larry
Larry,

From what I can tell there is no dampening effect with the composite spring. Seems the forces work against each-other unlike the the leaf spring. I don't mind it as much as the wife. I kind of like the stiff ride but there has to be a better shock than the Bilstein sports which VB&P recommended. I would like to switch to a coil-over setup but that is kind of pricey so maybe giving the QA-1 a shot might be the answer at a much more reasonable price?
Old 06-24-2009, 10:36 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Those would be the double adjustables?
Ken, the ones that I use only have one ****---so I guess it's a "single" adjustable. One **** controls compression and rebound. As you tighten compression, you loose rebound, as you loosen the compression, you tighten rebound. I think that the middle setting(there are 12 adjustment points), is 50/50. Mike Coletta

Last edited by mike coletta; 06-24-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Crazyhorse
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go with a 315# spring instead.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:17 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

The spring REALLY makes a difference. Maybe even 300#. You will probably have to adjust the ride height after you put a lighter spring, as it will tend to "settle" a little lower. Mike Coletta
Old 06-24-2009, 06:29 PM
Big Block 67
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ken,
I have the stock (f-41) spring. The car rode better, less bounce with KYB than QA-1.
I went to QA1 to eliminate wheel hop.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:29 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I am confused both of our mid years with totally stock suspension rides like a dream on good roads. (in PA they are hard to find) but none the less they ride great for 50 year technology. I know I am young dumb and stupid most days but you people are more picky about this kind of stuff then NCRS fokes are about numbers and dates
Old 06-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
I am confused both of our mid years with totally stock suspension rides like a dream on good roads. (in PA they are hard to find) but none the less they ride great for 50 year technology. I know I am young dumb and stupid most days but you people are more picky about this kind of stuff then NCRS fokes are about numbers and dates
Nope, we are sometimes looking for comfort. Especially as we grow older. When I was, as you say, young and dumb, I never considered if I even had shocks on my cars. Didn't care. But now that I am older than your dad, I like comfort, style, and ***** out power. Yes, you are right, old cars didn't have the technology but that doesn't mean there are not upgrades that will help
Old 06-24-2009, 10:05 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

I agree with Ken. There is nothing cooler than a retro ride. If we can take advantage of the modern technology to make our cars more fun then why not. Besides, half of the fun is fu@%ing around with it. Guys have been upgrading their Vettes almost since day one. JMO
Old 06-25-2009, 11:47 AM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know how to say this without coming off like an a!% hole, I have said this over and over, you will never be able to stop the VBP fiberglass spring from bouncing without ultra stiff shocks, which then defeats the purpose of the fiberglass spring.

I have nothing against VBP and use many of their products and think they are a very good company.

If you want the advantages of the fiberglass spring (30 odd pounds reduction of unsprung weight, constant rate spring and great ride) the spring to use was designed by TRW and now made and sold by Musgegoen brake.

Think about it, C5s ride great and don't bounce and they have fiberglass springs.

Jeff
Old 06-25-2009, 01:44 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Ok, I still don't care for the buckboard ride on my 65 coupe. Currently has..... VB&P 330# rear composite spring with Bilstein Sport shocks. I have tried the VB&P KYB special rear shocks and the Bilstein HDs but they were not as good as the Sports.
Ken,

Have you considered reinstalling the factory-engineered springs and shocks? That's what's in my '63 roadster and I find it to be one of the most comfortable rides, if not the most comfortable ride, of all the rolling stock in our stable.

No sproingy sproingy ride. No harshness. Just smooth motoring comfort.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Need to improve ride, QA-1, rear coil-over?

Old 06-25-2009, 01:53 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Ken,

Have you considered reinstalling the factory-engineered springs and shocks? That's what's in my '63 roadster and I find it to be one of the most comfortable rides, if not the most comfortable ride, of all the rolling stock in our stable.

No sproingy sproingy ride. No harshness. Just smooth motoring comfort.

Jim
Hi Jim,

I went with the VB&P spring because of clearance issues with my 8" wide wheels. The composite is shorter. The 9 leaf was too close to the wheels. The Bilstein shocks (sport) have a kind of soft compression but little to no rebound. I was thinking the QA1 adjustable would help even the rebound with compression. Not sure it would resolve composite spring bounce but maybe help by adjusting both rebound and compression VS just rebound like the Bilstein Sports I have.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:12 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Hi Jim,

I went with the VB&P spring because of clearance issues with my 8" wide wheels. The composite is shorter. The 9 leaf was too close to the wheels.
Hmmmm... well a shorter spring, all else being equal, will be a stiffer spring.

I believe the experiment I'd try would be the installation of a significantly softer spring. You've got 330 lb/in now, I believe. I'd be looking at something less than 300 lb/in. The advantage of this is you need a less stout shock to dampen the oscillations. Why does this matter? The less stiff the shock, the less harshness gets transferred to the frame and body.

And as I read your earlier posting,that's your ultimate goal, isn't it?

Jim
Old 06-25-2009, 03:44 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Jim,

I went with the VB&P spring because of clearance issues with my 8" wide wheels. The composite is shorter. .
Ken, I am in the "the factory got it right the first time" camp.

I am running the factory 7 leaf F-41 spring with KYB shocks and a Guldstrand shortened main leaf. I think that main leaf would give you plenty of clearance. As Jim L points out, though, shorter is slightly stiffer. None the less that set up rode as well on good roads as my C-4 with the optional HD suspension ('92 Z-07). I have no expeience with the VBP srings, but will ask a friend this evening who successfully runs them on his '64, and will report back.

Harry

Quick Reply: Need to improve ride, QA-1, rear coil-over?