C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'65 Power Antenna Swith Wire Photo

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 11:41 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

Default '65 Power Antenna Swith Wire Photo

My wiring to the back of my power window swith appears to be "bubba'd" pretty good. The red wire is in the middle of the switch and only gets power when the switch is depressed. The black wire is on the bottom and gets power all the time. The black and white wire is on the top and does not get any power to it. Does anyone have a photo of how the wires should go? Regards, Larry
Old 06-25-2009, 05:42 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Ttt
Old 06-25-2009, 07:16 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jtranger
My wiring to the back of my power window swith appears to be "bubba'd" pretty good. The red wire is in the middle of the switch and only gets power when the switch is depressed. The black wire is on the bottom and gets power all the time. The black and white wire is on the top and does not get any power to it. Does anyone have a photo of how the wires should go? Regards, Larry
Larry,
Your subject says power antenna but in the body of your post you talk about a power window switch. With which switch are you having the problem?

Dave
Old 06-25-2009, 08:17 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Ooops! Power antenna switch, I mean!
Old 06-25-2009, 08:25 PM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

Below is what I did for my NON-ORIGINAL antenna. Look at the top half and I think you will find what you need.

Red = +12V
White = Up
Black = Down

George

Old 06-25-2009, 08:45 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The original GM antenna has 2 power leads and a groung strap attached to it. When one of the leads get 12volts it goes up. When the other gets 12volts it goes down.

The GM switch is a SPDT (single pole double throw). It gets power at the center tap and switches power to either outside tap depending on which way the switch is thrown. For a GM antenna motor, wire the switch that way, and if the wiring harness passes power correctly to the rear harness (through the "harmonica connector" under the dash, the antenna will go up and down.

If that does not happen, either the antenna is not 1965 GM, or the wiring to the antenna is not properly connected. There is a link to a 1965 wiring diagram in the help section near the bottom of this web page: http://home.mchsi.com/~magicv8

PS: According to the factory color coding, the red (R) wire should have 12volts all the time and the (B) black and (B/W) black with white stripe should be the outer taps. It looks like the supply wire has been switched for an antenna wire somewhere in your main dash harness - or - the R wire may be burned open and the B wire burned onto a power lead. How good is the harness?

PPS: Be careful! The factory R wire to the power antenna switch is not fused. Don't let the smoke out of the main dash harness or you will have to replace it!

Last edited by magicv8; 06-25-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:54 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Red = +12 Center
Black/White on top?
Black/ on bottom?
Not positive of which is on top or bottom, but the red feeds power to the other wires depending on the position of the switch. The wires, as you describe, are positioned correctly in the switch. If there is power to the black wire all the time, the antenna motor would be running all the time, provided it has a proper ground. You need to find out how the black wire is getting the 12V, and why the red wire is not.

Dave
Old 06-26-2009, 01:32 AM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Great Diagrams and info guys. I am probably looking at a wire short.

Get notified of new replies

To '65 Power Antenna Swith Wire Photo

Quick Reply: '65 Power Antenna Swith Wire Photo