C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

SPEEDO CONVERSION : from mechanical to electronic??????????

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 05:03 AM
bowtie racing
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default SPEEDO CONVERSION : from mechanical to electronic??????????

Hello ! I liked to convert my 1963 mechanical speedometer to electronic (like autometers etc) Have you ever heard or know someone who can do it?

thanks !
Old 02-12-2002, 03:25 PM
waynec
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: SPEEDO CONVERSION : from mechanical to electronic?????????? (bowtie racing)

Are you certain you mean "speedo" and not "tach"?

I understand why someone would want an electronic tach in order to make use of a later model HEI distributor (without having to purchase an aftermarket HEI with a mechanical tach drive), but why in the world would you have need of an electronic speedometer?

For all intents and purposes, the tach can serve as a speedometer in high gear since the needles move in synch with each other.
Old 02-13-2002, 08:39 AM
bowtie racing
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: SPEEDO CONVERSION : from mechanical to electronic?????????? (waynec)

Hello Waynec

I want to get rid of old cabledriven Speedometer and my trans comes with elecronic output only.

has anyove ever tryed to use Autometer components with original face?
Old 02-13-2002, 07:35 PM
Birdball
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: SPEEDO CONVERSION : from mechanical to electronic?????????? (bowtie racing)

Bowtie- good topic, I too am curious. My 66 is getting a T56 6speed soon, and it has an electric speedo drive. I know that JTR has a conversion kit, for about $350 or so, but I was hoping to find a cheaper alternative.....

Hope someone has tried this!

Matt
Old 03-17-2016, 04:18 PM
SliderR1
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious if anyone found a shop that would convert a 63 speedometer from mechanical to electronic, and how it turned out?

I've asked the following shops and received a "no" on a request to do an electronic conversion:

1. Corvette Instrument Service
2. Williamson's Instruments
3. Red Line Gauge and Clock (TN)

Redline Gauge Works (CA) said they could do it, but the person I spoke with on the phone didn't give me a lot of confidence he understood what I wanted...

I'm doing a T5 WC conversion with a VSS output and I'd really like to keep the look of the stock speedometer and prefer a conversion to electronic. I know about the cable X, it is my last resort. I'd rather spend that kind of money on a converted speedometer.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:47 PM
bradc6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 358 Likes on 200 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11
National Champs Gators 4 St. Jude '09

14 years.

You should have just started a new thread.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:14 PM
Roger O'Dell
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 63 instrument panel at redline ca. They are backed up but Shannon the boss said he could do it, I left the panel and a deposit (required). Hope to get it back within a month. If you are in a hurry find another place.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:10 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I have converted a mechanical tachometer on a '62 to electric by using Autometer "guts" and an original tach face plate and needle, not a great problem. I would guess that the major problem with converting a speedometer is the location of the mileage and reset odometer.

Another option might be be to use a Cable-X unit ( http://www.abbott-tach.com/cablex.htm ) which converts an electronic signal to mechanical. I have used several of these units to drive mechanical speedometers in cars with newer transmissions having electronic outputs, and they work fine. I was told that the Cable-X unit could drive the speedometer using the signal from a GM EFI unit, but I have never tried it. Not sure if it would work with a points type ignition. The Cable-X units run about $400, and I would suggest you contact their tech support to insure that the unit would work with your particular setup.

Charles
Old 03-18-2016, 12:17 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Or.....
Dakota Digital...

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd858.htm

Direct fit to your front Bezel One cat 5 cable....By By Speedo and Tach cable.
Comes with all sensors and electronic speedo converter. Screws right on the 4speed housing.

Working on mine now
Attached Images   

Last edited by Viet Nam Vett; 03-18-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:14 PM
SliderR1
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

Roger - let us know how your speedometer turns out from Redline Gauge Works.

VNV - I do like the looks of the Dakota gauges, I just prefer the stock look for this application I'm working on.

I also found that Corvette Clocks by Roger can do this conversion and keep the manual odometer. He also offers a GPS conversion to the stock speedometer, as well.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:45 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Originally Posted by SliderR1
Thanks for the replies.

Roger - let us know how your speedometer turns out from Redline Gauge Works.

VNV - I do like the looks of the Dakota gauges, I just prefer the stock look for this application I'm working on.

I also found that Corvette Clocks by Roger can do this conversion and keep the manual odometer. He also offers a GPS conversion to the stock speedometer, as well.
Hey Slider,
The Dakota Digital also offers a GPS optional unit that works with their dash..and can be used in other ways.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd837.htm

Read all the text..Just..FYI
Old 03-21-2016, 06:11 PM
Roger O'Dell
Advanced

I will reply about my speedo from red line when I get it. BUT that's going to be awhile.' I'm at least a month from getting the car back from the painter. Then comes full assembly. I fit a ls3 525 hp GM connect & cruise before I sent it to the body shop. But when I put everything together I'm expecting at least a month hassle getting a/c system installed. I had dirty dingo make me some different a/c bracket plates , I' m trying to keep a sanden compressor under a stock hood. I bought a second hood and am having it fit and painted in case I have to modify the structure during assembly. My original plan was to keep all factory parts on a shelf so that if my wife ever decides to dump it. It could be restored with out much headache. We have 7 corvettes among our 30 cars

Last edited by Roger O'Dell; 03-21-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:24 PM
Roger O'Dell
Advanced

I guess I should add that I SURE I will be happy with redline. I visited there shop to drop off the corvette & 47 cadillac parts for upgrade . The names on the shelf were the whose who of this hobby. Me being unknown to him. I had a friends wife (friend passed away) that restored cars for pebble beach & black hawk museum among others. Pick up the caddy parts but still awaiting the vette stuff, to slow down any cutting in front of me. And I WANTED TO KEEP THE INSTRUMENTS APPEARING ORIGINAL. These guy have to many people waiting inline to be Mickey mouse

Get notified of new replies

To SPEEDO CONVERSION : from mechanical to electronic??????????

Quick Reply: SPEEDO CONVERSION : from mechanical to electronic??????????