C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Dipstick question for 7 qt. oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Dipstick question for 7 qt. oil pan

I had a hard time installing a Mr. Gasket dipstick for my 383 stroker. I ordered it from Summit and it's made for a 350 Gen 1 single rear main seal block (passenger side). I'm using a 7 qt. oil pan similar to those Moroso racing hammerhead ones. The tube would just not go into the block, so I sanded it down some and it finally slipped in, but remained too loose and the angle was way off. Mechron let me borrow his dipstick and tube from a really nice engine that he built and is just sitting in the corner of his garage along with two other brand new engines! The dipstick is about the same length. Thanks Ron. It sits nicely now and is bolted on as well. Before I order another tube and dipstick, I'm wondering if there are differences in the 350 block dipsticks. Ron's stick didn't even register the oil after putting 7 qts. in the pan. We figured they meant 6 in the pan and one in the filter. So I went ahead and put another quart in there. Still no mark (just a drop of oil ever so slightly before the word "add"). We thought these dipsticks are pretty generic for all 350 blocks no matter what oil pan is used. I wonder! Now I have 8 qts total and don't want to add more until I'm sure. If this is a 6 + 1, I'll probably open the drain plug and get a quart out of there and try to find the proper dipstick. I don't think it should be a 7 + 1 pan. Any suggestions?

Old 07-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrodokk
I had a hard time installing a Mr. Gasket dipstick for my 383 stroker. I ordered it from Summit and it's made for a 350 Gen 1 single rear main seal block (passenger side). I'm using a 7 qt. oil pan similar to those Moroso racing hammerhead ones. The tube would just not go into the block, so I sanded it down some and it finally slipped in, but remained too loose and the angle was way off. Mechron let me borrow his dipstick and tube from a really nice engine that he built and is just sitting in the corner of his garage along with two other brand new engines! The dipstick is about the same length. Thanks Ron. It sits nicely now and is bolted on as well. Before I order another tube and dipstick, I'm wondering if there are differences in the 350 block dipsticks. Ron's stick didn't even register the oil after putting 7 qts. in the pan. We figured they meant 6 in the pan and one in the filter. So I went ahead and put another quart in there. Still no mark (just a drop of oil ever so slightly before the word "add"). We thought these dipsticks are pretty generic for all 350 blocks no matter what oil pan is used. I wonder! Now I have 8 qts total and don't want to add more until I'm sure. If this is a 6 + 1, I'll probably open the drain plug and get a quart out of there and try to find the proper dipstick. I don't think it should be a 7 + 1 pan. Any suggestions?

Carlos,

I think there is a difference as I was looking for a nice dipstick with a Billet top. Seems the left hand VS right had mount differently. Not sure if the stick length is the same but the tube is. I'll check my old one against my new one when I get home tonight. I also have the late model 383 with 1 piece rear main and dipstick on passenger side VS driver from my old 350 LT1.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:25 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I would think the main criteria for a dipstick/tube assy would be to give an indication of the level of the oil in the pan relative to the height of the pump pickup.

The amount of oil in the pan would be secondary.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

I measured the old 2 piece rear seal 350 dipstick tip to the block stop on the tube. Considering that the blocks are relatively the same thickness at tube entry, my old 350 stick hung down into the pan about 13.5" from the stop. The new one smilar to mechron's that is in the block now only measures 8" from tip to stop. I'm thinking that I need to find a stick that measures adequately from the block stop to the tip, nonwithstanding the length or angle of the tube...it's what pokes into the pan that counts. Seems like I need a longer dipstick to be accurate with this pan. The pan is supposedly only 8 3/4" deep!

By the way, I contacted the seller of the oil pan and he said that it's a 6+1 and that the standard stick should work. I think summit sold me a different one by accident. I mean, it's got 8 quarts in it right now and doesn't even register on the stick! What's up with that! Mechron, maybe yours is too short too. But since those beautiful engines of yours are just trophies sitting there, it wasn't noticed until now.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Carlos,

My old dipstick is 2" shorter and the tube also 2" shorter. If you new tube is the same length as the old, the old dipstick should be correct as it will be the same. Now, you you bought a new dipstick and tube, they may both be 2" longer than the old like mine is. Just don't use old with new and you should be ok.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

MikeM, I agree with you, but it would defeat the purpose of dipstick technology to have to put 10 or more quarts in there to get the right level using that dipstick. Has anyone had to put more oil in the pan than the pan was labeled as/for? Maybe the darn pan is too big.

Ken, I forgot that the two dipsticks are completely different. I was comparing apples to oranges. The old 2 piece seal 350 was driver's side and sat higher on the block, hence shorter tube and more stick sticking out from the tube (and from the stop). The new 1 piece rear seal 350 dipsticks are on the passenger side and sit right at the oil pan, hence longer tube and less stick showing than the previous.

I still think that either my dipstick is too short for accuracy or the pan was made bigger than declared. I might just get a GM dipstick to be sure! I don't mind having to put two extra quarts of oil in there if the pan is not volumetrically accurate. My engine's worth it! I just hate the guessing.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

MikeM, I agree with you, but it would defeat the purpose of dipstick technology to have to put 10 or more quarts in there to get the right level using that dipstick. Has anyone had to put more oil in the pan than the pan was labeled as/for? Maybe the darn pan is too big.

Ken, I forgot that the two dipsticks are completely different. I was comparing apples to oranges. The old 2 piece seal 350 was driver's side and sat higher on the block, hence shorter tube and more stick sticking out from the tube (and from the stop). The new 1 piece rear seal 350 dipsticks are on the passenger side and sit right at the oil pan, hence longer tube and less stick showing than the previous.

I still think that either my dipstick is too short for accuracy or the pan was made bigger than declared. I might just get a GM dipstick to be sure! I don't mind having to put two extra quarts of oil in there if the pan is not volumetrically accurate. My engine's worth it! I just hate the guessing.
Just get a post 1980 dipstick and tube from the local parts store.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:32 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I think you missed my point. Maybe I wasn't clear enough.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:48 AM
mechron
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

first off, dokk is a good friend of mine and for 3 phone calls today he asked me to post in this thread and gave me permission to flame him (he will just flame me right back)

so here goes, MikeM is exactly right on the money. DOKK, you are over-obsessing the dipstick and tube that "7 quart pan" could be anything (i have the same pan) dokk bought his car 1 year ago and knew nothing about cars. he is a quick learner and gets the concept the first time i explain it. i think i have created a monster, i'm a stickler for details and when DOKK would come over after just buying his car to have me inspect it he would crawl all over my body off completed chassis and be firing questions like bullets out of a machine gun about details on my car. i tought DOKK to well, he recently has been obsessing over details i would have never given a second thought to. only DOKK's attention to details could have stretched a 2 hour job into 3 days.... 4PM to 7PM friday, about noon to 7PM saturday and noon to 7PM on sunday. we wanted to fire his engine up on saturday, the 4th of july, he would remember that, it didn't happen. the engine fired up on the fifth, i told him "we will need to adjust/ tune a lot of things. surprizingly everything was spot on, the timing was exactly right, the holley carb he rebuilt was so right on we didn't even have to play with the idle adjustment screws, the roller lifter adjusment was right on. the only adjustment was the idle speed screw on the carb to break the engine in at about 1000RPMs. DOKK said "it doesn't have lope i was looking for" DOKK is still a newb, so i backed down the idle speed screw to bring the idle down to about 700RPM, then the lope was there. we ran his engine twice on sunday for about thenty minutes each time. he installed a 180 stat and after the engine reached the temp, it ran between 179 and 181 for running on jack stands for 20 minutes.

DOKK also drove me to a house of a pantera owner in his neighborhood on sunday, after we fired his engine. it is a highly modified car, it is very cool, but has 180 headers, but has an oil pressure problem, DOKK, compared to your car, that pantera will be way worse to fix. the engine install in your car was simple. imagine pulling the transaxle and the engine from under the roof on a pantera...

DOKK, as MIKEM said, put 9 quarts in your pan, the stick will read- one qt low. this will be the the full level mark for the pan
Old 07-07-2009, 05:29 AM
obx2323
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a Summit 7qt pan w/the Melling pump on my '69 350 w/2 piece seal and drivers side DS and just kept my original DS. 2 gals of Rotella is what it takes in my 7qt pan??

You guys are a hoot as I've been following this without missing too many episodes. I'd pay an admission price to hang out at your garage. DOKK & Mechron, you guys could be the next Jerry and Dean, ever considered comedy?

DOKK I'm a newbie too and it took the owner of the garage, his son and another mechanic that did my complete chassis and brakes to answer all my questions over the 2 months it was on the lift while I piddled on things and scraped and painted my frame last summer. 3 skilled mechanics and when it came to some hard suggestions I would get 3 different answers ?? and that wasn't even the engine build which was another friend.

Sounds like it's almost time to enjoy.

Last edited by obx2323; 07-07-2009 at 05:35 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:40 AM
mechron
Drifting

Originally Posted by obx2323
I put a Summit 7qt pan w/the Melling pump on my '69 350 w/2 piece seal and drivers side DS and just kept my original DS. 2 gals of Rotella is what it takes in my 7qt pan??

You guys are a hoot as I've been following this without missing too many episodes. I'd pay an admission price to hang out at your garage. DOKK & Mechron, you guys could be the next Jerry and Dean, ever considered comedy?

DOKK I'm a newbie too and it took the owner of the garage, his son and another mechanic that did my complete chassis and brakes to answer all my questions over the 2 months it was on the lift while I piddled on things and scraped and painted my frame last summer. 3 skilled mechanics and when it came to some hard suggestions I would get 3 different answers ?? and that wasn't even the engine build which was another friend.

Sounds like it's almost time to enjoy.
funny post obx2323, i'm dean and DOKK is jerry.... if you want to hang with us, you will have to buy airplane tics to nor-car. then we are going to charge you $2 bucks admission to come in our garages. then sandwitches and soda's you will have to buy for lunch. DOKK being the cheapo he is, will probably want another buck to take to his neighbors garage to see the pantera, you will have to pay 2 bucks to see mine, (mine is cooler)

DOKK's car is going to run like STINK, now we just have to get it to stop..

DOKK, i only gave you a mild flame job, so now it's your turn...

OH, and chris paid much more for his car and is going to have to pull the engine to fix it. you know how simple it is to pull a C2 engine. just imagine pulling the transaxle and highly modded engine out of his pantera...
Old 07-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Mike, I re-read your post and I think you mean that the proper dipstick is indeed important, right? If I'm missing it again, please clarify. I respect your opinions and I have a weld repaired clutch pedal to prove it!

obx2323, 2 gals. is 8 qts. What does your dipstick read? We have 9 in mine and the stick doesn't even touch the word "add" yet. According to mechron, in his infinite wisdom, he says to just add 1 more qt. to where it reads "add" and call it good. But that's not how I roll, baby! I NEED to see it say "FULL". But 10 qts. for FULL? I'm concerned that the 400 crank in the stroker will churn up airy oil.

Ron, how'd my wonderful thread get turned into a Ford discussion? Even McNamara may have rolled around in his grave by this! To clarify about the oil level, you say to add, add, add... I just wanted you to post that to see if any of our good friends in this forum would agree with that philosophy, in which case I would feel more relaxed about it. Not that I don't trust your judgment...you've been a wonderful mentor to me and I've learned alot about beating book. But... I do recall my first ever "repair lesson" to my stickshift when I learned about your dad's pretty neat tool hook for fishing out springs where they don't go. And...I know that it's been awhile since you retired, but this brake bleeding is getting out of hand. The MS went dry because we believed the rear well was for the front and vice versa! Jerry and Dean? How about Moe and Shemp! I just want to drive the thing. Forget about the oil...I always wanted a 454 anyway.

BTW, here's what Ron was talking about. I can't even see the dipstick!
Sheesh, I can beat him in the quarter.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Carlos,

Get in your car, drive to the local auto parts store. Then tell them you have a Chebby small block motor with dip stick on the passenger side. Late 80's motor or 350 block with one piece rear main seal. You will get a new tube and dipstick. It will be the correct one. It will have a tube about 2" longer and stick also about 2" longer than the driver side old one.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:04 PM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

Do you have a regular pan you can put on it? With that you could put 4 qts in and check your dipstick. When you get the correct dipstick to read full then you will have established the correct height for your oil. You can then put your larger pan on and fill to that mark and know it won't be too high in the motor. Just in case everything is level, right.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:14 PM
DragMan
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Kensmith
Carlos,

Get in your car, drive to the local auto parts store. Then tell them you have a Chebby small block motor with dip stick on the passenger side. Late 80's motor or 350 block with one piece rear main seal. You will get a new tube and dipstick. It will be the correct one. It will have a tube about 2" longer and stick also about 2" longer than the driver side old one.
That's thinking with ur dipstick!
Old 07-07-2009, 11:11 PM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

"Just in case everything is level, right."

Uhh, well the car is up on jackstands at the moment but I asked about that and it seems to be pretty level (gulp):bb

Maybe I'll check everthinh again when the car is on the ground and the wheels have settled. It's been up since January!

I'll try a new dipstick first, then I may replace the pan with my old 5 qt. one to check. I'll be conducting an experiment soon by filling mechron's 7 qt. oil pan which is similar to mine, with several qts. of water to see the level. His is off the engine at this time.

Now THAT'S thinking with my dipstick!

Old 07-08-2009, 04:03 AM
mechron
Drifting

Mike, I re-read your post and I think you mean that the proper dipstick is indeed important, right? If I'm missing it again, please clarify. I respect your opinions and I have a weld repaired clutch pedal to prove it!

obx2323, 2 gals. is 8 qts. What does your dipstick read? We have 9 in mine and the stick doesn't even touch the word "add" yet. According to mechron, in his infinite wisdom, he says to just add 1 more qt. to where it reads "add" and call it good. But that's not how I roll, baby! I NEED to see it say "FULL". But 10 qts. for FULL? I'm concerned that the 400 crank in the stroker will churn up airy oil.

Ron, how'd my wonderful thread get turned into a Ford discussion? Even McNamara may have rolled around in his grave by this! To clarify about the oil level, you say to add, add, add... I just wanted you to post that to see if any of our good friends in this forum would agree with that philosophy, in which case I would feel more relaxed about it. Not that I don't trust your judgment...you've been a wonderful mentor to me and I've learned alot about beating book. But... I do recall my first ever "repair lesson" to my stickshift when I learned about your dad's pretty neat tool hook for fishing out springs where they don't go. And...I know that it's been awhile since you retired, but this brake bleeding is getting out of hand. The MS went dry because we believed the rear well was for the front and vice versa! Jerry and Dean? How about Moe and Shemp! I just want to drive the thing. Forget about the oil...I always wanted a 454 anyway.

BTW, here's what Ron was talking about. I can't even see the dipstick!
Sheesh, I can beat him in the quarter.

DOKK, no you can't, you will beat him off the line, but he will beat the snot out of you at the top end. (if he ever gets his engine fixed) while you can't see it in the pic, the dipstick tube attaches at the front of the engine and comes up and runs parellell to the pass. side valve cover, just above it and the oil level/ dipstick is really easy to check. DOKK, what a mild flame, the first time he came over he was complaining about shifter rattle, it was on a sat. morning after a hard night of drinking.... i un srewed the ball pulled the T handle/spring out, then proceeded to drop the spring in before the T handle. we both knew that was a mistake almost instantly, DOKK fished the spring out with my dad's tool.

HOLY CRAP, i just realized i'm flaming myself instead of DOKK. here is a flame on DOKK, on your whole engine build you only broke one bolt, that 3/8 pressure plate bolt he wanted to give up, as a one year(you did not fool me by showing that bolt, saying it was a bleeder screw...you have to do better than that..I was. once again, DOKK has learned much over the past year, as a one year owner he learned a lot.

DOKK, as i told you, i cut and welded a stock pan sump to a 60s vette trap door pan for my gasser it held 12 quarts and read 3 quarts low on the on the stick. the low oil level is completly normal. doing an insane wheely off the line my gasser still had oil pressure. the "limey taxi to you"

Get notified of new replies

To Dipstick question for 7 qt. oil pan

Old 07-08-2009, 06:05 AM
obx2323
Pro

7qt w/2 gal and it's at the full mark. Same DS that was on it before the new pan so same level.

I see what mean there Mechron,

I'd be a little skeptical w/10qts. DOKK

So about $10, lunch and a 12 pack and I'm good to go?

Last edited by obx2323; 07-08-2009 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:01 AM
mechron
Drifting

Originally Posted by obx2323
7qt w/2 gal and it's at the full mark. Same DS that was on it before the new pan so same level.

I see what mean there Mechron,

I'd be a little skeptical w/10qts. DOKK

So about $10, lunch and a 12 pack and I'm good to go?
obx 2323, no, i'm saying 9 guarts will be at the add one mark on the stick, DOKK will have plenty of oil and will be well below the crank. DOKK, i'll bring my pan over and we will fill it with 2 gals of water, then add one quart. my pan is chromed so it will not rust.

OBX, bring more than $10 bucks, after all this is nor-cal. bring enough bucks to see our cars, subway sanwiches cost 7 bucks, soda's cost 1,50. you can prbably stay at DOKK,s mansion. but you can't stay at at my cabin that has a huge garage.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

"Just in case everything is level, right."

Uhh, well the car is up on jackstands at the moment but I asked about that and it seems to be pretty level (gulp):bb

Maybe I'll check everthinh again when the car is on the ground and the wheels have settled. It's been up since January!

I'll try a new dipstick first, then I may replace the pan with my old 5 qt. one to check. I'll be conducting an experiment soon by filling mechron's 7 qt. oil pan which is similar to mine, with several qts. of water to see the level. His is off the engine at this time.

Now THAT'S thinking with my dipstick!

Well, bet ya my dipstick is longer than your dipstick !!!!

Quick Reply: Dipstick question for 7 qt. oil pan