C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Confused about carpet underlay - need HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Voice123
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Confused about carpet underlay - need HELP!

I want to purchase a new carpet set for my 65 conv.....I would like to purchase as well Dynamat Extreme.

1. Is Dynamat have a self-adhesive?
2. Do I need to purchase carpet insulation as well?
3. Do I need to purchase the carpet underlay as well?

Sorry if I sound stupid here, but I am a little green here on this subject and the other threads on this topic has been very confusing.

I'm not looking for my car to be NCRS, but a daily driver.

Thanks in advance of your help.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:34 AM
Voice123
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Voice123
I want to purchase a new carpet set for my 65 conv.....I would like to purchase as well Dynamat Extreme.

1. Is Dynamat have a self-adhesive?
2. Do I need to purchase carpet insulation as well?
3. Do I need to purchase the carpet underlay as well?

Sorry if I sound stupid here, but I am a little green here on this subject and the other threads on this topic has been very confusing.

I'm not looking for my car to be NCRS, but a daily driver.

Thanks in advance of your help.
Anyone??
Old 07-27-2009, 09:38 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

I believe the answer is no to all three.

Tom M
Old 07-27-2009, 09:54 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Dynamat has an adhesive already on it. You just peel away the backing and roll it in. Your carpet will come with either a jute backing or a foam backing, depending on what you order. You shouldn't need any other materials.

Mike Coletta
Old 07-27-2009, 12:10 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

search the archieves, there are many threads on this! I did not use dynamat becasue it is heavy stuff! I used insulation, orignal type pad and carpet.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I just replaced my carpet also. I didn't ust the Dynamat or anything besides the original stye jute under the carpet and at the firewall. I don't get a lot of heat into the car, probably because I have side pipes and the tunnel insulation is present. With the top down there is enough wind noise that the Dynamat probably wouldn't have quieted it down enough to make it worthwhile. (Although, I've never ridden in a car that has had the Dynamat installed)

In a coupe I think it's a different story.

Gerry
Old 07-27-2009, 09:31 PM
R6T7
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Dynamat and Dynapad installation

Last year I removed the carpet and all of the underlying materials from my '67 air coupe, and installed Dynamat Extreme on the inner door panels, roof, floors, and luggage area. I replaced the carpet over jute padding, and I was very pleased with the sound dampening resulting from the Dynamat. There was a significant difference in the car - hard to describe, but very noticeable. I've had other C2 owners either driving the car, or riding in it remark how "solid" it felt.
But I wasn't completely happy with the insulation capabilitites of the Dynamat / jute combination, so I decided to remove the jute, and install a new product called Dynapad over the Dynamat. I'm half way finished with the installation, and today took the car out in 110 degree weather to get an idea of how effective the Dynapad is at insulating the interior. Using an IR temperature sensor, I measured the floor temperatures and found at least a 10 to 15 degree difference between the jute and the Dynapad areas. It's hard to say how that will translate into a cooler cabin, but again there is a very perceptible difference with the Dynapad, both in terms of better insulation, and much improved sound control.
The Dynapad also serves as a great carpet underlayment, so there is no need to use a jute pad. Just use a little 3M 77 spray adhesive to hold the carpet in place.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Confused about carpet underlay - need HELP!

Quick Reply: Confused about carpet underlay - need HELP!