C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

use of synthetic gear oil in Muncie

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 01:38 PM
aaronz28
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Default use of synthetic gear oil in Muncie

anyone know if it is safe to use the Synthetic Gear Oil in a Muncie?

i bought 2 quarts of the Valvoline Syntec 85w90 but it seems very liquidy as opposed to the old fashion conventional stuff.

any help??

Aaron
Old 08-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

If its rated GL-4 or GL-5 its okay. I presently am using Mobil-1 in a BW T-10 and it shifts beautifully.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:56 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

some guys get away with it and some don't...it wont hurt anything but it may be a little noisy depending on the shape the tranny's in....
Old 08-10-2009, 02:03 PM
LSUvetteguy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Been running Mobil 1 in my 66 BB Muncie for about three years with no problems.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:13 PM
aaronz28
Drifting

thanks,
the trans internals are all new... Autogear M22w... the wide ratio with the M22 helix angle... everything is new and tight..

just wanted to be sure.
thanks

aaron
Old 08-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

don't be putting that stuff in my numbers matching M20.... it needs the dino residue to maintain NCRS points........
Old 08-10-2009, 02:22 PM
aaronz28
Drifting

dont' worry... I bought some Used Gear Oil on ebay that was taken from a wrecked 1966 BigBlock car.... that way, everything stays original...

i'm going to be pulling your box back out this week, and i'll re-spray the grease/road grime i cleaned off, so that it maintains originality for the NCRS judging....

A
Old 08-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

Old 08-10-2009, 02:43 PM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

dont' worry... I bought some Used Gear Oil on ebay that was taken from a wrecked 1966 BigBlock car.... that way, everything stays original...

i'm going to be pulling your box back out this week, and i'll re-spray the grease/road grime i cleaned off, so that it maintains originality for the NCRS judging.

I just saved all that old stuff in case I want to put it back later.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:19 PM
CWPASADENA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, I have been using Synthetic Gear oil in my Muncys, Richmonds and even my old flat head Ford Transmissions for many years But I use Redline 75-90 NS (not the regular Redline 75-90 gear lube) which is speciffically designed for transmissions with blocker rings. If you use any oil that is also designed for rear axles, it will almost always hace the "slip" additive in it for the limited slip clutch packs which does not allow the blocker rings in the transmissions to work nearly as well. I think the GM Manual transmission oil also does not have any "slip" additive in it.

Synthetic Oil shifts easier when cold and the old Ford Transmissions really do work a lot better as they do not have big enough blocker rings in them. The only problem that I have found is the stuff will leak if all the seals and gaskets are not real tight.

Try it and see if you like it. If not, it is not the end of the world and you can always change it. You may be supprised.

Chris, CWPASADENA
Old 08-10-2009, 05:47 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by CWPASADENA
But I use Redline 75-90 NS (not the regular Redline 75-90 gear lube) which is speciffically designed for transmissions with blocker rings.
Chris, CWPASADENA
i presume the NS stands for something like No Sulfur, as sulfur seems to have a deleterious effect on brass parts (like synchro rings).

FWIW,,, when using standard trans lubes, make sure that it says MT on it, that makes it safe for brass parts.
Bill

PS: i understand Ford uses kevlar synchro rings in their trans, i wonder if there is a better synchro ring material for GM trans?????
Old 08-10-2009, 06:44 PM
CWPASADENA
Racer

Originally Posted by wmf62
i presume the NS stands for something like No Sulfur, as sulfur seems to have a deleterious effect on brass parts (like synchro rings).

FWIW,,, when using standard trans lubes, make sure that it says MT on it, that makes it safe for brass parts.
Bill

PS: i understand Ford uses kevlar synchro rings in their trans, i wonder if there is a better synchro ring material for GM trans?????
:o

I should have been more specific. "NS" means "NON-SLIP". Redline 75-90 NS does not contain the "slip-additive" found in lube for clutch type limited slip differentials.

Chris, CWPASADENA

Last edited by CWPASADENA; 08-10-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:49 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronz28
thanks,
the trans internals are all new... Autogear M22w... the wide ratio with the M22 helix angle... everything is new and tight..

just wanted to be sure.
thanks

aaron
Autogear recommends GL5-MT in the spec sheet sent with the trans. Says NOT to use synthetics because of the synchros. I'd give George at Autogear a call before you pour anything in.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:08 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

for what it's worth, back in the spring I had the original M21 from my '65 rebuilt. The rebuilder specializes in Muncies and has a great reputation (Ed Hartnett in Pa).
When I got my unit back he told me NOT to use synthetic gear oil - just regular 80w-85W-90 gear oil
Old 08-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,720 Likes on 805 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by GCD1962
Autogear recommends GL5-MT in the spec sheet sent with the trans. Says NOT to use synthetics because of the synchros. I'd give George at Autogear a call before you pour anything in.
Most Ford Toploader professional rebuilders will tell you the same thing. The synthetic has too much lubricity and, as such, the brass synchro rings will not work effectively as a cone clutch when engaged by the synchronizer. A certain amount of resistance is needed to slow the gear for engagement.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:22 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,950 Posts

This proobably won't help any but I've been running synthetic lube in my Muncie for about 10 years. No apparent harm or problems - except I've noticed the skin of the aluminum case has taken on a permanent sheen apparently form the lube soaking in(????????). It does occassionally drip a drop or two at the rear yoke but that is probably due to some wear on the yoke. But, I bought a gallon of GL-4 lube the other day and I'm thinking of draining out what's in it now and going back to the old dino stuff - mostly due to advice on this forum.

Dan

Last edited by DansYellow66; 08-11-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:05 PM
CWPASADENA
Racer

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
Most Ford Toploader professional rebuilders will tell you the same thing. The synthetic has too much lubricity and, as such, the brass synchro rings will not work effectively as a cone clutch when engaged by the synchronizer. A certain amount of resistance is needed to slow the gear for engagement.
Dan,

This is EXACTLY why Redline specifically packages an oil for brass blocker ring transmissions. (75-90 NS). Synthetics are "Thinner" when cold then convential gear lube which allows the Blocker rings to work much better when the lube is cold. How many miles do you have to drive your car before the transmission lube is really warmed up?

I think the reason most rebuilders do not specify Synthetics is because most of the 75-90 Synthetic gear lubes have the "Slip Additive" which is not good for brass blocker rings. In such a case, the brass (clutch) blocker rings want to slip and do not properly clutch with the mating cone surface on the corresponding transmission gear.

If a person wants to use convential oil, be sure to use gear lube WITH-OUT the slip additive.

My opinion and my experience.

Chris CWPASADENA

Get notified of new replies

To use of synthetic gear oil in Muncie

Old 08-10-2009, 08:10 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

You might want to see if there are any part warranties you will void if you use other then the oil they spec for it. Me,all I use a 90 wt gear oil in the Muncies and ST-10's I rebuild and have in my cars. Works fine.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:29 PM
LSUvetteguy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
I was told about the same my the guy who rebuilt my muncie. He said to try Mobil 1 if I wanted too but I could grind the synchros with high RPM shifts. I started slow and worked my way up the RPMs and never had a problem with scratching. Now I have complete confidence with any shift at any RPM. On the flip side, I don't know what benefit the synthetic actually offers in a tranny.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:47 PM
CWPASADENA
Racer

Originally Posted by LSUvetteguy
I was told about the same my the guy who rebuilt my muncie. He said to try Mobil 1 if I wanted too but I could grind the synchros with high RPM shifts. I started slow and worked my way up the RPMs and never had a problem with scratching. Now I have complete confidence with any shift at any RPM. On the flip side, I don't know what benefit the synthetic actually offers in a tranny.
THEY SURE WORK BETTER WHEN THEY ARE COLD!

Chris, CWPASADENA

Quick Reply: use of synthetic gear oil in Muncie