C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1 turn signal doesn't work, Brakelights do - ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:46 PM
kawils2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 1 turn signal doesn't work, Brakelights do - ideas?

I've got a fairly new turn signal switch on my 62 Corvette (1 year old). A week or so ago my left turn signal quit flashing.

I was working on it today & my brake lights work fine, my right turn signal works fine, but when I turn on my left turn signal it doesn't work. The left turn indicator light in the speedometer housing glows very faintly & steadily.

I pulled the steering wheel so I could get to the switch - it looks & moves fine. I plugged & unplugged the wires at the harness & the symptons stayed the same. Any thoughts for additional trouble shooting?

Or should I spring for another switch? Thanks!
Old 08-20-2009, 09:52 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

The left turn indicator light in the speedometer housing glows very faintly & steadily
Could be a bad bulb in the tail light because that is classic "bad bulb" behavior in my experience.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:12 PM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

That would be the first place to check.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:12 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Could be a bad bulb in the tail light because that is classic "bad bulb" behavior in my experience.
... sounds like a tail light bulb went bad. If this is your problem I would change out and put new bulbs on both right and left sides at the same time.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:14 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 729 Likes on 623 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by kawils2
Or should I spring for another switch? Thanks!
honestly, the C1 turnsignal switch is not that reliable; even brand new... sometimes the turn signals don't work, sometimes the brake lights don't work, and unfortunately there is no alternative switch to use.

did you change the canceling mechanism, or did you change the actual switch?

Bill
Old 08-20-2009, 10:30 PM
kawils2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I should have told you I'm using LED tailights. Both sets of lights on each side normally flash when the turn signal is activated. Since the brake lights light, I'd think that would rule out a bad bulb.

When I replaced the switch last year, I replaced the cancelling mechanisim as well. It seems to work fine, although right now I've taken it out of the column to focus on the switch.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:57 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

One time when I was installing a new switch in my C2 column, only one side flashed. I had to bend contacts in the switch until both sides worked.

But once adjusted, I've never had a switch go out of adjustment. Aren't there separate filaments in most tail light bulbs for different functions?
Old 08-20-2009, 11:05 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kawils2
I should have told you I'm using LED tailights. Both sets of lights on each side normally flash when the turn signal is activated. Since the brake lights light, I'd think that would rule out a bad bulb.
I,m a little confused (more than usual) by your statement above that I've highlighted. I interpreted your first post to mean that the left turn signal wasn't working.

Doesn't have to be a taillight bulb. If the left front turn signal bulb is burnt out, there won't be enough current draw in the circuit to activate the flasher.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:59 AM
kawils2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I'll check the front bulb - didn't even dawn on me I was so focused on the rear. Too many hours working on the car today. I guess that would make me a dim bulb!

Thanks for your ideas everyone.

Get notified of new replies

To 1 turn signal doesn't work, Brakelights do - ideas?

Quick Reply: 1 turn signal doesn't work, Brakelights do - ideas?