C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Sears Die Hard Security Battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 05:10 PM
propwash
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sears Die Hard Security Battery

I just found out they recalled my battery :eek: I loved that battery except for the inconsistancy of it :crazy: does anyone know if another company has something like it, I really liked that security when I was at shows.
Old 02-18-2002, 05:48 PM
Top_Notch
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Sears Die Hard Security Battery (propwash)

I was going to post that I *thought* those things were being recalled,
but you already know that...
Old 02-18-2002, 07:01 PM
58Vette65
Burning Brakes

They want to recall mine but I not going to. Once in while it dosn't work quite right but I can live with it. I also like the little bit of security it provides! I looked around for another one battery with the features but haven't located one either.
Old 02-18-2002, 08:12 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Propwash,

I'm with 58Vette65, Mine works fine. Got the recall notice from Sears and filed it. I honestly don't see an alternative. This setup works for me. Gives you an audible if you open the door and starting the '5 lasts about 2 seconds and she dies. Nothing wrong with this one. I'd keep on using it if I were you.

Good luck!
Old 02-20-2002, 04:54 PM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I LOVE mine and they're NOT getting it back!
Old 02-20-2002, 09:07 PM
propwash
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Sears Die Hard Security Battery (Ed T)

Thanks Ed I'll carry the DVD remote with a green button. I thought I was the only one considering keeping the battery.
Now the ones of you with it, does yours beep 6 times while the car is running , once in a while normally at idol??? I think it might be spirits of my ancestors or battery gods saying there's a short starting :confused:

[Modified by propwash, 7:12 PM 2/20/2002]
Old 02-23-2002, 09:56 AM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Propwash........are they still available or have they been discontinued ? I was going to get one.........new e mail address shoy@attbi.com :flag

[Modified by StrayDog, 9:02 AM 2/23/2002]
Old 02-23-2002, 01:57 PM
58Vette65
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Sears Die Hard Security Battery (StrayDog)

StrayDog

Nope they are gone -- does than mean mine is worth big bucks..
Old 02-23-2002, 03:10 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Default Re: Sears Die Hard Security Battery (58Vette65)

All gone, huh .. .?.. I was thinking the same thing - - about getting one of those security batteries .. Was the recall issue safety related .. ? ..
mrg
Old 02-24-2002, 12:48 PM
webhead
Intermediate

I had a very unpleasant experience with mine two summers ago.

I was driving back home to NH from RI, (after a wonderful weekend sailing trip out to visit the Tall Ships in Newport) when my security battery suddenly switched off and the engine died at 70 MPH on the highway. It was a real scare (because I was in the fast lane and there wasn't a breakdown lane), but I managed to coast over to the right side of the road, stop the car, switch the battery back on, start the car, and drive off - - before someone hit me. This happened several more times and I thought I had a defective battery since I had just installed it before the trip.

After a number of similar (but not quite so scary) incidents I realized my headlights were dimming. Apparently, the alternator had failed, and since the battery charge was below the 2/3rds threshold, the low-charge security mechanism was kicking in. Eventually I managed to drive the car into a closed gas station in Lexington, MA, with very dim headlights. The car would not start after that.

What you should know is that if your charging system fails with one of these batteries your engine will cut out -- and that will happen at the most inopportune time.

The next day when the gas station opened I had them charge the battery, and I drove the car back home.

Needless to say my girlfriend was not very happy about walking two miles to a hotel in downtown Lexington, MA, at 12 in the morning.

Also, remember to take the remote out of your pocket before going for a swim, or at least make sure you have stashed the battery's manual override code somewhere in the vette.

Old 02-24-2002, 10:36 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Sears Die Hard Security Battery (webhead)

webhead, thanks for your post!! Ever since I got the recall notice (which I ignored) I have wondered if the recall was based on real problems or customers using the battery improperly. I like mine a lot, but if I replace it I would rather have a Delco, not another Sears battery! MJ

Get notified of new replies

To Sears Die Hard Security Battery

Quick Reply: Sears Die Hard Security Battery