C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

LS1 in a 59'

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 07:42 AM
bowtie racing
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
with about $2700 and a LOT more 'sweat equity'. you can do a TCI IFS...

Bill

That would be something think about. I like the idea useing original frame.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:44 AM
bowtie racing
Drifting

[QUOTE=Stan's Customs;1571612307By the way ...the GMP accessorie drive set up is what I'm using on my '61 restomod/Corvette Correction chassis. It's just going on a new ZZ4 in front of a built 2004R....and yep it's a driver.[/QUOTE]

I am going ZZ4 too with my 59.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:08 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtie racing
That would be something think about. I like the idea useing original frame.
Not a bad idea at all...in fact, I would have done that if I had a better frame.

Try this thread (long) but covers most, if not all the bases on IFS conversions....VERY informative.

"Martz Chassis C1 front suspension"

Stan..
Old 09-25-2009, 08:11 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bowtie racing
I am going ZZ4 too with my 59.
...I "luv" the way they sound...part of the reason I decided to use small block instead of an LS. Silly huh?

Stan..
Old 09-25-2009, 08:21 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
Not a bad idea at all...in fact, I would have done that if I had a better frame.

Try this thread (long) but covers most, if not all the bases on IFS conversions....VERY informative.

"Martz Chassis C1 front suspension"

Stan..

Stan
hmmm... you forgot the thread....

this one, maybe?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...uspension.html

Bill
Old 09-25-2009, 08:34 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I figured out pretty early that if I wanted to swap out my original engine and keep my original frame it was going to be a ZZ-3/4. If I wanted to do an LS series it meant a frame conversion.

Agree with a previous poster...talk to Mike Coletta (61retro) if you can. I've seen two of his LS conversions from the top and underneath too and they were just phenomenally well done.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:57 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wmf62
Stan
hmmm... you forgot the thread....

this one, maybe?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...uspension.html

Bill
Yea ...they say the first thing to go is your mind..

Thanks...Bill
Old 09-25-2009, 09:05 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=fdreano;1571612865]I figured out pretty early that if I wanted to swap out my original engine and keep my original frame it was going to be a ZZ-3/4. If I wanted to do an LS series it meant a frame conversion.

Agree with a previous poster...talk to Mike Coletta (61retro) if you can. I've seen two of his LS conversions from the top and underneath too and they were just phenomenally well done.[/QUOTE

Especially for an LS engine..
Note:... Mike has also done two(that I know of) frame conversions using a ZZ4...early on.

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 09-25-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:58 PM
Accelo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello
I am also about the install into the LS1 into a C1. I am currently in the process. I have purchased a Jim Meyers racing front end and a LS1 motor. Hoping the Camaro accessories will work with the power steering. I have yet to confirm this! Has anyone completed an install of this type. I have seen the big dollar conversions 100K. This is going to be a driver with a 6 speed. Anyone have advice on getting the 6 speed through the tunnel? The nay sayings are not stopping me with the install. Will let ya know how it goes when I get to the actual install. This is a LS1 with drive by wire. Computer stuff is completed and has ran. The motor mounts etc should be interesting. Jim Meyers has adapters for installing a small block using there front end. Then using the adapter plates a LS1 can be installed. I plan on using my own fabricated mounts but who knows at this time what exactly it will look like in the end?
Rick
Old 10-22-2009, 07:37 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Accelo
Hello
I am also about the install into the LS1 into a C1. I am currently in the process. I have purchased a Jim Meyers racing front end and a LS1 motor. Hoping the Camaro accessories will work with the power steering. I have yet to confirm this! Has anyone completed an install of this type. I have seen the big dollar conversions 100K. This is going to be a driver with a 6 speed. Anyone have advice on getting the 6 speed through the tunnel? The nay sayings are not stopping me with the install. Will let ya know how it goes when I get to the actual install. This is a LS1 with drive by wire. Computer stuff is completed and has ran. The motor mounts etc should be interesting. Jim Meyers has adapters for installing a small block using there front end. Then using the adapter plates a LS1 can be installed. I plan on using my own fabricated mounts but who knows at this time what exactly it will look like in the end?
Rick
Jim Meyers mounts and front/rear suspension

over 1000 photos from beginning to today...
http://public.fotki.com/htmiata/1960_corvette/
Old 10-22-2009, 10:36 AM
cefolar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Loren Smith
Then you can use the side mounts, and sell your stock suspension on ebay.
Careful - I got the Jim Meyer setup for my '61, great product (when you eventually get it in 6-8 weeks). But as far as selling your front suspension.....I can't give mine away. I have had it on eBay 3 times and posted on this forum for 2 months.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:55 PM
The Corvette Kid
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 25 Posts

I am in the process of putting an ls3 in my 61. I am using a Keisler 5-speed, Jim Meyers front suspension. I bought a 79-93 style Mustang power r&p from AGR, I am using side engine mounts from Corvette Central, a March serpentine system, the stock exhaust manifolds that came with the engine and the stock style stacked plate radiator with electric fan from Dewitt's. I am hoping to start the engine by early November. I still have to figure out my radiator and heater hoses,mount the relay control box, and run my fuel lines from the stock fuel tank modified by Rock Valley. Bob
Old 10-23-2009, 11:44 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by fdreano
I figured out pretty early that if I wanted to swap out my original engine and keep my original frame it was going to be a ZZ-3/4. If I wanted to do an LS series it meant a frame conversion.

Agree with a previous poster...talk to Mike Coletta (61retro) if you can. I've seen two of his LS conversions from the top and underneath too and they were just phenomenally well done.
Yes, his conversions were quite nice!

I want to dress a zz4 to look like an original 327. I think that looks !
Old 01-17-2014, 08:38 AM
bowtie racing
Drifting

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
...I "luv" the way they sound...part of the reason I decided to use small block instead of an LS. Silly huh?

Stan..

You are right..sounds really stupid.. And i was trying to say i have right now ZZ4 in my 59 wich is great but.. I still want try LS1 one day.

Before that i need to finish one LS7 midyear and one LS7 camaro..

Old 01-17-2014, 01:24 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow... 4 years between post...

Hmmm...come to think of it, that's about the speed my single project has progressed...lol!

....Stan

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 01-17-2014 at 03:26 PM.

Quick Reply: LS1 in a 59'