C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Is Gelcoat needed on original fiberglass?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Technite73
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Is Gelcoat needed on original fiberglass?

I am getting ready to paint my 66. It stll has the 66 lacquer paint from the factory. Its too far gone to remain a survivor.

One painters insist that once the paint is removed it must be gelcoated.

This painter said if I do not gelcoat the paint will fail in a few years.

Others say it is not necessary if using quality epoxy primers and sealers.

I know they were not gelcoated originally. I have all original GM fiberglass and the car is a no hit car.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:16 PM
michael62
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question technite. I have a 62 I am about to have painted and was wondering the same thing? Also, on top of technite's question, I am not going to paint an original color (semi vetterod), what are good brand paints that won't break the bank? Good luck technite.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:50 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Do a search on it, this subject has been pounded to death. After reading ALL of it I am NOT going to gelcoat my car. I am going to use featherfill
Old 09-04-2009, 12:19 AM
vettnut
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

To answer your question. NO You do not need to gelcoat. Only if your bodies outer fiberglass strands are unstable/lifting. Even then, there are many great products out there to address this issue. IMHO. I use Evercoat's Featherfill, and love it. Your bodyman says the paint will fall off without gelcoating,BS. Find someone who says it won't fall off. TIP: Go to autobodystore.com and go to the forum and post this question. Len Stuart does many vettes and owns this site. He is a good guy and a bodyman. Many other bodymen and enthusiasts visit and post on this site. Great for a second opinion.
DG
Old 09-04-2009, 12:45 AM
Technite73
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the tip

found this tread very helpful.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/pain...-gel-coat.html
Old 09-04-2009, 07:11 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

I think that this subject holds the all time record for "most opinions". My personal experience is that the best product is PPG 822 Epoxy primer. I've used Gelcoat, Featherfill, Easysand, Fourstar, and a host of others. Best holdout is Epoxy Primer. The PPG product is easy to sand (like Featherfill), but has way less shrink. If you do some research on the "shrink" of polyester based products vs. epoxy based products, you'll be amazed at the difference. All of the "Featherfill" type surfacers, including Gelcoat, are polyester based, and won't finish "shrinking" for 6 months to one year. That is why you see so many really nice paintjobs come out of the booth, and then 6 months later they look like the rocky mountains. That's not to say that you can't get a great job with those products, but, they have to dry out for a long time. This is my opinion only. So the short answer to your question is "no".

Mike Coletta
Old 09-04-2009, 03:28 PM
MosportGreen66
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wasn't the conclusion on this topic that from the factory no Corvette was ever gel-coated? I believe the term gel-coat is used for marine fiberglass applications. If you prep the body correctly, apply a spray polyester coating, block sand, use an epoxy primer and correctly repair any damaged areas, I think the paint will hold up just fine.

-Dave

Last edited by MosportGreen66; 09-04-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:42 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

One thing that I have learned is that there are good body shops and then there are good body shops that know how to work on corvettes. I once bought a 67 from a good body shop thinking that he must have known what he was doing. I was wrong, the body work started showing after about a year. He screwed the fenders on then removed the screws and filled in the holes. Everyone showed. SO THE MORAL OF THE STORY IS TO GO TO A SHOP THAT KNOWS CORVETTES.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:50 PM
MosportGreen66
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by woodsdesign
One thing that I have learned is that there are good body shops and then there are good body shops that know how to work on corvettes. I once bought a 67 from a good body shop thinking that he must have known what he was doing. I was wrong, the body work started showing after about a year. He screwed the fenders on then removed the screws and filled in the holes. Everyone showed. SO THE MORAL OF THE STORY IS TO GO TO A SHOP THAT KNOWS CORVETTES.
That's a very good point. Big difference between the two.

-Dave
Old 09-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Check out the Paint section on the Forum. I put gel-coat on my project followed by epoxy primer and build coats of PPG K-36. Would have skipped the gel-coat step. Good Luck and have fun.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:19 AM
ragtopman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by Dave Tracy
Check out the Paint section on the Forum.
I do not find a paint section on the forum??
Old 09-06-2009, 09:36 AM
al329
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ragtopman
I do not find a paint section on the forum??
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/paint-body-138/

Get notified of new replies

To Is Gelcoat needed on original fiberglass?

Quick Reply: Is Gelcoat needed on original fiberglass?