C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Door panel gap at top of door on C1

Old 09-12-2009, 07:51 PM
CrCrzy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door panel gap at top of door on C1

Haven't posted in a while. I just did a search on door panels for C1's to see if I could see what type of gap is normal between the door panels and window stainless.

I just bought a new set of door panels from Ecklers. Went to install them on the 1960 today and there is a noticeble gap at the top of the panel. I was thinking I could bend the upper metal support to fit the contour better but wanted to see what others have done first. Pics would be nice if anyone has them.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:21 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

On my 62, the inner window garnish (stainless trim to which the inner window whisker is stapled) has a metal tab standing away from the side of it. That tab slips into a slot in the back of the door panel top in order to hold the door panel close. It is not uncommon for that tab to be broken off. Does your window garnish have a rectangle "hole" in it, that looks like a piece of metal is missing? My memory is that tab is around an 1" long or so.

I'll go take a pic of my 62's door panel fit, hold on...

Ok, here you go...

If you look at this Paragon item, and click on the photo, you can see these tabs I'm describing, visible on the right 1/3rd of the top trim, and the left 1/3rd of the bottom trim, adjacent to a mounting screw hole.
http://www.corvette-paragon.com/p-36...lding-kit.aspx

Last edited by 62Jeff; 09-12-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:33 PM
CrCrzy
Racer

Thank you for that picture. My window stainless still has that clip. From about the center of the door to the back the gap looks good. From the center forward is where the gap begins to widen.

What does your car do?

Do you have a screw holding the top of the door panel down under the door post? I was looking at some picture from another thread where the poster requested people to post picture of the their interior. I was trying the figure out where the screw needs to go. Referencing the pictures and then looking at my car, the screw looks like it would be going into the door post. Can anyone clarify?

Thank you.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:37 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jupiter60
Thank you for that picture. My window stainless still has that clip. From about the center of the door to the back the gap looks good. From the center forward is where the gap begins to widen.

What does your car do?
My car looks good there.

Do you have a screw holding the top of the door panel down under the door post?
Yep, the screw is under the door post

I can take any pictures you wish, just tell me what you need and I'll take them, and post them for you in this thread.

While you read this, I'll go photograph that screw relative to the door post. Be right back...

Ok, here's the door panel gap at the front half of the door panel.

And here you can see the top screw in the corner of the door panel relative to the door post

Last edited by 62Jeff; 09-12-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:45 PM
CrCrzy
Racer

Thank you very much for taking these pictures for me.

Your doorpanels fit perfect in the area I am having trouble in. Where you the one who installed them? Did you have the bend the top of the panel to get that type of fitment?

How does that screw not run into the door post?

Thanks again.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:51 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

You are welcome.

Your doorpanels fit perfect in the area I am having trouble in. Where you the one who installed them?
Yes, in 1983. They are very old reproductions from Al Knoch.

Did you have the bend the top of the panel to get that type of fitment?
Hmmm, I think I know what the issue is. My door panels have my original metal upper supports on them. Al Knoch transferred all my stainless, and my upper supports from my original panels, to my new panels at a Corvette Expo in 1982 for me. At that time, I'm not even sure you could buy a complete door panel yet, that didn't require some of your old parts. Perhaps that is the key, use of original parts versus what I assume to be complete reproduction assemblies on your car.

I don't remember any particular issues, maybe I used a short screw. Would you like me to remove the screw and measure it for you?

Thanks again.
You are welcome.

Please remember though, that I'm showing you a 62, and I don't have any idea how similar the basic installation methods/locations are for a 60.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:57 PM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Your doorpanels fit perfect in the area I am having trouble in. Where you the one who installed them? Did you have the bend the top of the panel to get that type of fitment?

Thanks again.
The repo door panel metal uppers fit like crap. When I got mine from AK , I had to pull back the leather and cut and re bend the metal to get it to fit tight to the door. Besides that, they were too long and crashed into the dash end pieces. I think all the suppliers use the same uppers. Mine is a 1962.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:58 PM
CrCrzy
Racer

The door panels we had that we were going to install were really old Al Knock. I think they are even older than me (1981). They still said San Antonio on them. We never installed them because like you said the upper metal supports weren't available then. I talked to Al at one of the Corvette shows and told him I had some of his old panels without metal supports, I also told him that they said San Antonio. He was surprised that we had them that long.

Never got around to trying to install uppler metal supports and just bought new panels. I am pretty sure the original vs repro is definitly playing a part here.

If it isn't too much trouble, do you mind pulling the screw?

Thank you.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:59 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

If it isn't too much trouble, do you mind pulling the screw?

Thank you.
The screw length from the tip of the threads to the rim of the countersunk head is exactly 1". The door panel itself is sufficiently thick at that point as to allow maybe 3 threads to actually get into the door.

At least we are zeroing in on why your panels fit poorly (metal uppers).

Last edited by 62Jeff; 09-12-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:04 PM
CrCrzy
Racer

So far the upper supports do not crash into the dash so I am at least good there. I will try to bend the metal uppers to see if I can get a better fit.

Thank you for all your help.

Last edited by CrCrzy; 09-12-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:06 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Door panel gap at top of door on C1

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door panel gap at top of door on C1