C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

65' Rear ride height

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 12:45 AM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Default 65' Rear ride height

The ride height (measured from the frame to the ground) is about a 1/2" higher at the driver rear wheel. What is most likely causing this? Is it the rear spring? The car was aligned and I know thats spot on. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:42 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by Dicecal
The ride height (measured from the frame to the ground) is about a 1/2" higher at the driver rear wheel. What is most likely causing this? Is it the rear spring? The car was aligned and I know thats spot on. Thanks in advance.
I would try to measure both sides according to the GM service manual procedure to get the best comparision. If off - possibly the spring is a little weak on the low side. But could be some other things too, such as new spring link bushing installed on the driver side only for some reason or a worn out cushion on the pass side, the frame is tweaked a little for some reason, etc. Sitting a little high on the driver side is probably the preferable situation since the engine is off set slightly to the passenger side and with just a driver on board it probably settles pretty close to level.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:12 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Dicecal
Factory ride height measurement tolerances are +/- 3/8" per side, so it could be 3/4" different from the other side and still be in spec. Most side-to-side differences in rear ride height are a result of front spring issues (sag, not seated correctly, etc.). I wouldn't worry about it if things appear OK visually.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Factory ride height measurement tolerances are +/- 3/8" per side, so it could be 3/4" different from the other side and still be in spec. Most side-to-side differences in rear ride height are a result of front spring issues (sag, not seated correctly, etc.). I wouldn't worry about it if things appear OK visually.
Thanks for the replies, I'll look closer at it. I want to try to get the car to sit as even as possible!
Old 09-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You can also try a shim on the front sway bar. Then adjust the rear spring bolt. If you are 3/4" off, with slight adjustment on sway bar and spring bolt you can correct another 1/4" to 1/2" which is close enough. My new silverado when I bought it was at least 1/2" to 3/4" off in the rear. They replaced all the springs and it was still off. But the gas tank is on the left side so it's almost impossible to correct on Chevy trucks unless to modify something.

Get notified of new replies

To 65' Rear ride height

Quick Reply: 65' Rear ride height