C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Heater Questions

Old 10-22-2009, 08:54 AM
salty_waders
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Heater Questions

My heater is blowing hot air, and I really dont need it here in Texas. I was considering eliminating the heater, but I had a thought: Does the heater core help cool the antifreeze? I dont want the car to run even a few degrees hotter!

Also, on a heater delete car, was the hole in the firewall covered or just not cut out (for the heater box). Thanks!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:01 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Just install a shut off valve on the heater hose. I put mine on the upper hose right at the firewall. Go to Home Depot and pick one up. Works great. Doesn't cause any issues with cooling, circulation, etc.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:06 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

u never drive it below 60F?
Old 10-22-2009, 09:07 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default Just put in a valve on 5/8 " heater hose

Hi,

I live in Maine and it still gets hot in the car in summer. Just put in a turn off valve in the 5/8 line just before the heater core. I put one in just after the hose clip near battery. A/C cars came with one. I have pictures you can look at attached.

You can open it on cool days and close it on warm days. Every so often open valve to let coolant circulate in core.

You will be amazed at the difference in temp in cockpit with heat box not hot.

Jack
Attached Images    
Old 10-22-2009, 09:31 AM
salty_waders
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe Im not thinking about the heating system correctly....from the heater core, the water goes into the intake...right? This flow is not necessary?
Old 10-22-2009, 09:37 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default No

Originally Posted by salty_waders
Maybe Im not thinking about the heating system correctly....from the heater core, the water goes into the intake...right? This flow is not necessary?
As we said, the flow in not necessary. On a/c cars, you have a shut off valve so that hot water in not flowing at the same time you are trying to send cool air through system. You only need to open valve once in a while to circulate coolant through core. On heater delete cars there was no flow.

Jack
Old 10-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,464 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Your problem may not be just the heater/heater core. Any opening on the firewall and extended driving time will provide unwanted heat. If your insulation has deteriorated, has gaps etc, this will contribute to the heating sensation. Check the seal on the door flaps for the heater/defroster, check the range of movement (push/pull ****) of the door, if these are not closed and sealed as intended you will get additional heat. Us caution on shutting off the heater core. If you do, as Jackfit did, make sure you DO open it now and then. Otherwise the stagnate water/antifreeze in the core can eat at it and possibly cause a leak when you open it back up with hot water flow. Heater delete, C-48 cars had a plate on the firewall covering the opening of the core and a second one covering the blower motor opening along with a rubber hose cap on the tee from the coolant tank. Dennis
Old 10-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Dennis , still on my list to visit next summer on my 7,000 mile journey. Mechanics on my car is almost complete. Have stopped all oil leaks and just waiting for painter to get over his hernia. Car with newly rebuild engine puts out over 380 ft. lbs torque at 3,500 rpm.

I forgot how fast a L79 with a 3.70 rear can be. Left more rubber the last month than the past 25 years.

Jack

Last edited by Jackfit; 10-22-2009 at 12:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-22-2009, 10:13 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,464 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Jack, I like your last statement.... fun isn't it? Don't forget to rotate. Share your schedule when you get it set up. Dennis
Old 10-22-2009, 09:29 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Maybe Im not thinking about the heating system correctly....from the heater core, the water goes into the intake...right?
Nope. It flows the other way. From the intake, coolant flows TO the heater core in the 5/8" hose to the bottom nipple, through the core, then out through the top nipple through the 3/4" hose to the tee on the expansion tank hose, and forward to the fitting on the water pump.

On factory heater-delete cars, they just put a cap on the back side of the tee at the expansion tank and plugged the hole in the intake (the 3/4" hose from the front of the tee to the water pump remained so the tank still functioned).
Old 10-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 884 Likes on 633 Posts

Actually, the water goes from the intake into the heater core, and is returned to the water pump. I'm not a fan of removing the heater from the cooling circuit. I need to run my defroster in traffic on hot days (groan) to keep from getting the motor too hot. The flow is not necessary, however, as AC cars had a vacuum operated water shutoff valve.

Get notified of new replies

To Heater Questions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heater Questions