C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Is Mershon's a gooddealer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 05:43 PM
vettedrummer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 255 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Is Mershon's a gooddealer?

They have an artic blue 1957 on ebay.I was wondering if anyone had ever dealt with them. I wish I was smart enough to put the link here to get opinions as well.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

they are just another used car dealer. treat them no different then your local used dealer.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:52 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...fCarsQ5fTrucks

I've had poor experiences with Mershon's car descriptions and honesty. Others will say they are the best.

Find a knowledgeable person to inspect the car before you buy. Then it won't matter who you buy from.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:57 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Here is a thread on Mershon's... it might help you out. I personally have never delt with them on a car.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...-mershons.html
Old 10-24-2009, 07:07 PM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

as stated above they are a used car dealer. i have bought two there. my
latest has a bad vibration in the rear. i did not test drive it at the time it
was on the rack getting worked on. they delivered it to me.
i called them up and they said we will make it right. a week later they
picked it up. have not heard back yet.
personally i have no negative views of them. these are old cars and must be inspected before buying. also driven. they had my money and could of told me to you know what up a rope. instead they are working on it.
jim
Old 10-24-2009, 07:16 PM
Mike7061
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default mershons?

I saw the ad on ebay and looked up the car on mershons site. They want 59K for it, seems too low.

This looks like a nice car from the pics but we all know that doesn't mean squat. As stated above have someone look at and drive the car then make an informed decision. Good luck. It does look nice though.

Gerry
Old 10-24-2009, 08:53 PM
matt houston
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

I bought an advertised "matching numbered" '62 fuelie from Mershon's back in 1996, before I knew much about Corvettes. Turns out the engine was incorrect, and there was fiberglass damage/a crack hidden under a new paint job. I made a big mistake purchasing that car, but I learned a lot from the experience. They are nothing more than a used car dealer...be carefull and have the car professionaly inspected before signing on that dotted line!
Old 10-24-2009, 10:53 PM
67BETE
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought my 67 from them and have nothing bad to say. Paid the correct price for correct quality car. Yes, it had some things that needed working on but I didn't pay $100K for it either. As others have said, get the car looked at or fly/drive in and check it out yourself.

Kirk
Old 10-25-2009, 12:38 AM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

I find this topic very interesting. I bought my first vette on ebay. (6 vettes ago) Even though I bought it over the internet, they stated that if the car was not as described, my down payment would be refunded and the deal was off. The car was right on. It was a pretty classy place in Scottsdale, AR. It got me wondering, what would happen if fleabay made all the dealers hold to those standards? Think as many would still use the internet?
Old 10-25-2009, 03:01 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,324 Likes on 2,773 Posts

Originally Posted by matt houston
I bought an advertised "matching numbered" '62 fuelie from Mershon's back in 1996, before I knew much about Corvettes. Turns out the engine was incorrect, and there was fiberglass damage/a crack hidden under a new paint job. I made a big mistake purchasing that car, but I learned a lot from the experience. They are nothing more than a used car dealer...be carefull and have the car professionaly inspected before signing on that dotted line!
When you checked the numbers on the motor before you purchased the car and you found out that it was incorrect, you bought it anyway?

And... if Mershon's bought it with the new paint, whose fault is this again?

Originally Posted by outwest nv.
I find this topic very interesting. I bought my first vette on ebay. (6 vettes ago) Even though I bought it over the internet, they stated that if the car was not as described, my down payment would be refunded and the deal was off. The car was right on. It was a pretty classy place in Scottsdale, AR. It got me wondering, what would happen if fleabay made all the dealers hold to those standards? Think as many would still use the internet?
Are you talking about Chevs N Vettes? (CNV) A lot less people like them than Mershon's, I'll tell you that.

And EBAY has absolutely no responsibility to govern ridiculous standards between buyers and sellers of cars any more than any other broker does. Thats for the participants to work out. No business would be conducted at all if that were the case.

I worked with Dan Mershon quite a bit at Bloomington Gold and found him to be a straight shooter. However, like everyone has said, treat them like any other seller-retailer or private. If you expect them to answer all your questions about correctness, condition, authenticity, etc and you are too lazy to verify it yourself, you will deserve the eventual disaster that comes your way.

Be responsible for your own purchase with knowledge and assistance. Dont blame a seller for your lack of preparation.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 10-25-2009 at 03:04 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:47 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Be responsible for your own purchase with knowledge and assistance. Dont blame a seller for your lack of preparation.

Mike Coletta
Old 10-25-2009, 10:18 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
When you checked the numbers on the motor before you purchased the car and you found out that it was incorrect, you bought it anyway?

Are you talking about Chevs N Vettes? (CNV) A lot less people like them than Mershon's, I'll tell you that.

And EBAY has absolutely no responsibility to govern ridiculous standards between buyers and sellers of cars any more than any other broker does. Thats for the participants to work out. No business would be conducted at all if that were the case.

I worked with Dan Mershon quite a bit at Bloomington Gold and found him to be a straight shooter. However, like everyone has said, treat them like any other seller-retailer or private. If you expect them to answer all your questions about correctness, condition, authenticity, etc and you are too lazy to verify it yourself, you will deserve the eventual disaster that comes your way.

I never heard of Chevs N Vettes. I sell classic cars on the weekends, and what you call "ridiculus standards" don't seem so ridiculus to me. I guess our standards are different. I do answer questions about correctness, condition, authenticity, etc. and if they are "too lazy" to verify themselves I DON'T THINK THEY DESERVE AN EVENTUAL DISASTER THAT COMES THEIR WAY. I tell them what's wrong with something even if they don't ask. If you work with Dan Mershon quite a bit and he has the same attitude you do, I don't think I would look to buy a vehicle from him. Just my opinion.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:26 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

I've never bought a car from Danny but I have sold him one. He gave me a very good price at the time. Frame off'd 64 coupe.

He laso helped me back in 95 when I was looking at a red 54 at Knoxville. He gave me an honest opinoin of the car. I bought it and got TF my first time out.

I agree, do your homework whenever you are buying any car. Not everyone will tell you the downside, even if you ask.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:56 AM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by outwest nv.
I never heard of Chevs N Vettes. I sell classic cars on the weekends, and what you call "ridiculus standards" don't seem so ridiculus to me. I guess our standards are different. I do answer questions about correctness, condition, authenticity, etc. and if they are "too lazy" to verify themselves I DON'T THINK THEY DESERVE AN EVENTUAL DISASTER THAT COMES THEIR WAY. I tell them what's wrong with something even if they don't ask. If you work with Dan Mershon quite a bit and he has the same attitude you do, I don't think I would look to buy a vehicle from him. Just my opinion.
http://www.cnv-corvettes.com/

Then don't quit your day job.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:11 AM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by knight37128
http://www.cnv-corvettes.com/

Then don't quit your day job.
Wow. That's so witty I'm speechless.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:14 AM
matt houston
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

I guess the bottom line is don't just take the dealer's word the car is original, trust the professional who you're paying to inspect the car. If I had done that, it would have saved me a lot of grief with my Mershon purchase. The engine pad numbers were correct and apparently a good "restamp", but the casting dates on the back of the block were from a later model year. I was a novice at the time and didn't realize my mistake until some time later. Once again, a good but expensive learning experience. Mershons claimed the car to be authentic, I took them for their word and it cost me a lot of money. I didn't do my due dilegence and got burned. Since then, I generally buy cars from individuals, but I still have them professionaly inspected and gone over with a fine tooth comb. Mershons is probably no better or worse than other dealers, but just make sure you do your homework.

Last edited by matt houston; 10-26-2009 at 02:31 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:29 AM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You don't think Mershon, as experts in classic corvette's, has a responsibility to advertise their cars accurately? Or do you think it's ok for them to deceive their buyers, as long as the buyer doesn't catch it, until after the sale? Matt Houston never stated that he asked them questions about correctness, condition, authenticity, and the like...... you said that. Matt stated that Mershon "advertised" the car as a matching number...... and it wasn't. Why does the word "fraud" come to mind?

Get notified of new replies

To Is Mershon's a gooddealer?

Old 10-26-2009, 04:23 AM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 65 vette dude
You don't think Mershon, as experts in classic corvette's, has a responsibility to advertise their cars accurately? Or do you think it's ok for them to deceive their buyers, as long as the buyer doesn't catch it, until after the sale? Matt Houston never stated that he asked them questions about correctness, condition, authenticity, and the like...... you said that. Matt stated that Mershon "advertised" the car as a matching number...... and it wasn't. Why does the word "fraud" come to mind?
Exactly. We are told to tell customers who ask if it's matching numbers that we NEVER GUARANTEE it's matching numbers. Never. That's a big no no. We'll get any numbers we can get to, and let them know what they are, and the customer can go from there. We've got a 66 coupe with a 427/390 engine with the correct numbers. Even though it's an original bb car with the right engine and the right numbers, we know it's a restamp, and we let our customers know this info. Unless it is knight37128 then he's on his own, but I'm sure his expertise could see a restamp.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:12 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Pretty car (based on the photos), but the lower instrument panel is painted the wrong color, it has a '56 radio, and some painter sanded off the ridge above the trunk lock cylinder.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:50 PM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

I was looking at ads recently and noticed a disclaimer that stated it was the customers sole responsibility to verify everything. They probably all have some fine print with the same thing.

Quick Reply: Is Mershon's a gooddealer?