C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

dash wiring harness 65

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 11:32 PM
geo65
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default dash wiring harness 65

a couple of simple ones, I think:

at the top, does the main harness route above the top two bulbs or between the trio of sockets? (hlight/brake/hi beam) the nylon snap fittings positions the harness directly over top of them!

also, for the ignition bulb, my diagram shows a socket like the cig. lighter but I don't find one coming out of that section of the harness. It appears I have a single black plastic fitting with silver exposed retention tangs (different from the typical cluster fitting.) I assume this goes in the port just above the ignition but what does it light in that position?
Old 12-01-2009, 12:50 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Photos below show the harness as it routes/clips across the back of the cluster, and the hole in the ignition switch that socket snaps into.
Attached Images   
Old 12-01-2009, 07:31 PM
geo65
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks john but there must be a different style cluster. mine does not have the relief at the top (area between the two arcs). mine is dated 64 and is certainly original (early 65 car) and the harness runs right through the bulb areas. (which are recessed in the picture)

also I don't see what the ignition bulb will illuminate but I suppose I will find that out later than sooner.

Last edited by geo65; 12-01-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:23 PM
dn69427
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Main wire harness

Not trying to hi jack the thread, but I just had my 67 cluster restored and I am also replacing the main harness while every thing is apart. In your picture I notice you have the harness connected to the cluster, is this a better way to install the harness? connect to the cluster - install the cluster then make the remaining connections?

thanks
Don
Old 12-01-2009, 10:22 PM
geo65
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

that picture is not of mine, it was provided by John. I am assembling mine on the bench, as John indicated that it was done that way at the factory. It does seem like the way to go. As per my post does your cluster look like the one pictured?? (at top center area)
Old 12-02-2009, 12:07 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by geo65
that picture is not of mine, it was provided by John. I am assembling mine on the bench, as John indicated that it was done that way at the factory. It does seem like the way to go. As per my post does your cluster look like the one pictured?? (at top center area)
The cluster in the photo above is a '63-'64 cluster; the '65-'67 cluster didn't have the relief area at the top.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:34 PM
SPLITRAY
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by geo65
thanks john but there must be a different style cluster. mine does not have the relief at the top (area between the two arcs). mine is dated 64 and is certainly original (early 65 car) and the harness runs right through the bulb areas. (which are recessed in the picture)

also I don't see what the ignition bulb will illuminate but I suppose I will find that out later than sooner.
Maybe I can help with your dilema. The pix John used is from my 63'. My wiring actually was tight and crossed in front of the sockets as well. It kept popping the bulbs out.

What I did to cure this was remove much of the dry tape to give the wiring more flexibiity. I reformed it in a small arch and it stays there. I'll retape it when done.

You'll also note that I did have to move one light socket hole up on the Tach side. The wires interfered with that as well. I changed to an electronic tach and the solid state card covers the original hole.

Get notified of new replies

To dash wiring harness 65

Quick Reply: dash wiring harness 65