C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1967 Corvette Original Radio Performance

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 04:12 PM
67BETE
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1967 Corvette Original Radio Performance

For those who drove the 67's back in the day were the radios really that bad. Mine sounds pretty good while sitting still but as soon as I get moving the signal really weakens and fades in and out. Was this the way these radios sounded back in the day, or do I have a another problem (contact with antennae)? Just curious.

Kirk
Old 12-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,946 Likes on 4,785 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

get your radio restored and it will work good as new. I know of a an excellent repair man that they call the radio doctor
Old 12-21-2009, 05:08 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

If your radio has never been restored, it is probably on its last legs. They had several parts that were of marginal quality 40 years ago. Jerry Rudbeck will make it better than new and makes the output have more base. Matched with a correct speaker, Jerry will tell you where to get one, it sounds awesome. You can even have him add an I-Pod jack on the back.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...on-1965-a.html

Jim
Old 12-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Bandito
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Nowhere Man and 1Snake have it right. Time for restoration. Mine works just fine. Only issue is that we have come a long way with radio tech over the past 40 + years and it will never work as well as the one in your BMW, unless you change out the system entirely.
Bandito
Old 12-21-2009, 05:36 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I drove a lot of '60s cars off my Dad's car lot back 'in the day' and the radios were really pretty bad...many had the old DX/LX (Distance / Local) switch to try to deal with sensitivity shortcomings and signal drift was pretty bad; no DPLL (Digital Phase Locked Loop) back then. Then there were the old antenna 'trimmer's...usually a screw in the back of the radio you played around with to try to get the strongest signal.

If you were lucky enough to live in an urban setting with strong stations the radios were adequate but anything else was pretty sorry... As soon as the old noise suppresion capacitors started to leak you would get the typical generator 'whine' and other electrical interference. On the flip side, the songs you could hear back then were absolutely the BEST !!
Old 12-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,946 Likes on 4,785 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by fdreano
I drove a lot of '60s cars off my Dad's car lot back 'in the day' and the radios were really pretty bad...many had the old DX/LX (Distance / Local) switch to try to deal with sensitivity shortcomings and signal drift was pretty bad; no DPLL (Digital Phase Locked Loop) back then. Then there were the old antenna 'trimmer's...usually a screw in the back of the radio you played around with to try to get the strongest signal.

If you were lucky enough to live in an urban setting with strong stations the radios were adequate but anything else was pretty sorry... As soon as the old noise suppresion capacitors started to leak you would get the typical generator 'whine' and other electrical interference. On the flip side, the songs you could hear back then were absolutely the BEST !!

my AM/FM in my 66 Chevelle picks up a radio station just as good as any car we have I can get a radio station that is about 75 miles away clear as a bell. the same guy restored the radio in dads 67 and is just as good
Old 12-21-2009, 07:10 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Go with Jerry Rudbeck at ElectroDesign.com . Great guy and even better service. Al W.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:09 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 67vetteal
Go with Jerry Rudbeck at ElectroDesign.com . Great guy and even better service. Al W.
Good tip. I think I will get my 64 redone. Does anyone have a website and know were he is located? I would appreciate that info. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:12 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Originally Posted by oldsarge
Good tip. I think I will get my 64 redone. Does anyone have a website and know were he is located? I would appreciate that info. Thanks.
oh ya, forgot. Any idea on basic cost to restore?
thanks.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
my AM/FM in my 66 Chevelle picks up a radio station just as good as any car we have I can get a radio station that is about 75 miles away clear as a bell. the same guy restored the radio in dads 67 and is just as good
That's often due to a phenomenon called atmospheric skip... I used to get radio stations 2-3 states away at times... Some of the old radios were better than others...and, again, a lot depends on your location.

I'm just relaying my experiences in driving dozens of these old cars decades ago...including ferrying used cars every weekend between Fredericksburg, Va and Va Beach, Va. Trust me there wasn't much else to do on those late night runs but listen to the radio...
Old 12-21-2009, 08:21 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by oldsarge
oh ya, forgot. Any idea on basic cost to restore?
thanks.
Here's the link to his web site - www.electrodesign.us

He will give you a firm estimate when he gets your radio. On mine, the FM didn't work but it looked to be in very good condition. Jerry fixed everything, increased the performance (bass & treble), added an I-Pod jack and sent it back for less than $200. Give him a call. He's a great guy.

Jim
Old 12-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Update Your Radio

Hello

I would convert your radio to todays standards. My radio had been DEAD for decades. I had a FM/AM Cassette under the driverside dash. (previous owner installed ) Everytime I got into my Corvette I would bump my knee on it..One day after cutting my knee and bruising it again I ripped out the radio (Sparkomatic) and threw it in the TRASH where it belonged. I got a new speaker and original radio redone..I couldnt be happier..Stations come in and sound GREAT..Well worth the investiment..

Old 12-21-2009, 10:12 PM
Vetterway
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Radio Antennae lead solved the problem on a '67

My '67 radio was never right; FM marginal, AM almost non-existent. Sent the radio for upgrade to today's electronics/I Pod connection/double cone speaker - still not right. Antennae ground was fine. Then had the entire antennae lead replaced -that solved the problem. Now the system is great. Hope this helps.

Greg Thompson, S&M Eelectro-Tech, 8836 Xylite Stree N.E. Blaine MN 55449, 763.780.2861 did the upgrade and counseled me to find the antennae lead problem. Greg is great to work with and I 100% recommend S&M.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:30 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1snake

He will give you a firm estimate when he gets your radio. On mine, the FM didn't work but it looked to be in very good condition. Jerry fixed everything, increased the performance (bass & treble), added an I-Pod jack and sent it back for less than $200. Give him a call. He's a great guy.

Jim
Thanks Jim.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:43 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake

Jim
Jerry is THE MAN!! I have not heard one complaint about his work, his price or communication. He is an old time radio repair shop.

Get notified of new replies

To 1967 Corvette Original Radio Performance

Quick Reply: 1967 Corvette Original Radio Performance