C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Windshield weatherstriping gaps after installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Well after calling all of the parts houses they all say they use Corvette Rubber. However with that being said each of the gaskets had a different consistency to them. As stated before the weatherstripping from LIC and Paragon both would not fit properly. However the one from ZIP does fit very nicely.

LIC and Paragon both claim that they have never received a complaint about the gaskets. However with that being said I have seen quite a few Midyeears that exhibit the problem that I have detailed here.

I do accept some responsibility here though as if I would have purchased these weather strippings currently I would have some recourse. However since I had purchased these previous to me needing them I'm outside of the return policies of these vendors.

I hope that this saves some of my Corvette Brothern the same problems and delays I experienced.

Dave
Old 01-25-2010, 02:03 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

This makes me wonder. I am going to replace the windshild gasket but not the windshield itself.
I have a gasket from Ecklers wich i bought a couple of years agoo.
Will the gasket fit?
Its not just to drop by the store and buy a gasket since i live in Norway. Perhaps i should order one extra gasket from Zip just to be sure? For sure would be kind of irritating if the gasket i have does not fit and i have to wait to get a new one from the US.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:24 PM
ragtopman
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by Mossy66
and a tube of 3M 08505 Fast'n Firm seam sealer, Beige.Gerry
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!! STOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!

Dont put the 08505 in there to seal up your windshield, that is for sealing up seams in body panels, and then, its junk. Back in the day when 08505 was used, it would crack later on and then the seam would leak and we all knows what happens then.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Mossy66
Well, it would seem that if the water is coming in the lower corner like that, it is coming through one of the screw holes for the lower trim retainer clips, or I have read that there is a seam there. Actually, there has to be a seam there between the metal of the window frame and the fiberglass in front of the windshield. That is why I put the seam sealer there, and I'm pretty sure I sealed it up water tight.

If you use the bedding between the rubber and the frame, I don't think it would cover this area unless you covered the area at the bottom of the window channel extending forward past the clips to the seam. Like I said, I think I covered the seam pretty well with seam sealer, but I was messing with those stupid clips taking the trim off and on several times that maybe I lost the seal at the clip screw.

Well, I guess it wouldn't be factory correct if it didn't leak!

Gerry
Gerry,

Those screw holes should be covered by a foam donut as well as a liberal amount of the Bedding and Glazing compound 08509. That way they will not leak.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:57 PM
R1234
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hitch
Well after calling all of the parts houses they all say they use Corvette Rubber. However with that being said each of the gaskets had a different consistency to them. As stated before the weatherstripping from LIC and Paragon both would not fit properly. However the one from ZIP does fit very nicely.

LIC and Paragon both claim that they have never received a complaint about the gaskets. However with that being said I have seen quite a few Midyeears that exhibit the problem that I have detailed here.

I do accept some responsibility here though as if I would have purchased these weather strippings currently I would have some recourse. However since I had purchased these previous to me needing them I'm outside of the return policies of these vendors.

I hope that this saves some of my Corvette Brothern the same problems and delays I experienced.

Dave
Thanks for the follow-up. My car's windshield was replaced by the previous owner and it has a poor bottom trim fit on the drivers side. The windshield is a Pilkington. It looks like buying a gasket is a crap shot.

Quick Reply: Windshield weatherstriping gaps after installation