C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

The best way to redo the undercarriage of a C2 frame on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 06:04 PM
darguy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSaint
If you take a look of the pictures of the cars above.They look very well would you not agree?

And off course the engine and trans are getting out of the car.Forgot to tell you that.
Yes, they look great - lots of work involved to get to that point. The above shots represent a significant portion of the work involved to do a 'body on' restoration.

What you're talking about is opening Pandora's Box - you have to decide how far into the box you're willing to go, and what you're prepared to do while you're in there. And, if you're going to do it 'correctly' or not.

Personally, I wouldn't think about painting the frame if I wasn't going to rebuild the entire chassis (and drive train while it's out).

Old 01-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

If you take a look of the pictures of the cars above.They look very well would you not agree?

And off course the engine and trans are getting out of the car.Forgot to tell you that.
You are right they do look good, however you first were talking about doing a body on restoration. That's what a lot of the cars in the pics are. Now you are talking about spray painting everything and only taking off the parts that need to be a different color.

Dave
Old 01-07-2010, 06:43 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I am going take out the engine thats in the car now and put in a correct SPH 365 hp. And change some seals on the manual transmission. Also have a friend of mine to respray the engine bay and underside of the hood.So it`s going to be a lot of work.

Originally Posted by darguy
Yes, they look great - lots of work involved to get to that point. The above shots represent a significant portion of the work involved to do a 'body on' restoration.

What you're talking about is opening Pandora's Box - you have to decide how far into the box you're willing to go, and what you're prepared to do while you're in there. And, if you're going to do it 'correctly' or not.

Personally, I wouldn't think about painting the frame if I wasn't going to rebuild the entire chassis (and drive train while it's out).

Old 01-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Hitch
Race Director

I am going take out the engine thats in the car now and put in a correct SPH 365 hp. And change some seals on the manual transmission. Also have a friend of mine to respray the engine bay and underside of the hood.So it`s going to be a lot of work.
How about the front a-arms, trailing arms and rearend? Then you have the brake lines, etc. As someone else said you can open a pandora's box. You need to know how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.

Dave
Old 01-07-2010, 07:57 PM
bweaver999
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vettegozzzz
I agree with Schemp, many hours under the car scraping, brushing, cleaning and painting. Also replaced body cushions, suspension, brake lines and almost everything. Mine is a resto-mod, not a correct restoration.

What is that suspension? Don't recall seeing a spring set up like this. Is it a bolt on replacement?
Old 01-07-2010, 09:05 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,152 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by bweaver999
What is that suspension? Don't recall seeing a spring set up like this. Is it a bolt on replacement?
Vette Brakes and Products. Also have a transverse for the front.

http://www.vbandp.com/detail.aspx?ID=485
Old 01-10-2010, 10:30 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I just suppose to get a result like this it must have been sprayed on and not used a brush?It really looks the way i would like to have my car done

Originally Posted by Hitch
You are right they do look good, however you first were talking about doing a body on restoration. That's what a lot of the cars in the pics are. Now you are talking about spray painting everything and only taking off the parts that need to be a different color.

Dave
Old 01-10-2010, 10:46 AM
Hitch
Race Director

I just suppose to get a result like this it must have been sprayed on and not used a brush?It really looks the way i would like to have my car done

It can be done either way and with out a lot of parts removal however the best way would be remove and refurb as many parts as you can and paint them separately. My frame was done with a foam brush and doesn't have any lines in it with POR15 top coated with Rustoleum Industrial black. The foam brushes allow the paint to flow out and level.

You can definitely use spray cans however you will need to be careful about overspray. JMO
Old 01-10-2010, 02:18 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I will try to look up a foam brush on the net to see how it looks because i have never heard of it before

And i just looked it up so i know what it looks like

It can be done either way and with out a lot of parts removal however the best way would be remove and refurb as many parts as you can and paint them separately. My frame was done with a foam brush and doesn't have any lines in it with POR15 top coated with Rustoleum Industrial black. The foam brushes allow the paint to flow out and level.

You can definitely use spray cans however you will need to be careful about overspray. JMO

Last edited by TheSaint; 01-10-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:23 PM
vettegozzzz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I basically replaced every component under my car. The only thing not removed was the frame which I cleaned a painted before reassembly of the suspension. Any parts that were'nt replaced where cleaned and painted. The engine was rebuilt, TKO600 5spd, VBP suspension, offset trailing arms, Duntov differential, new brake rotors, brake lines, ebrake, calipers and all new power steering parts and hoses. I'm just finishing up a 2 1/2 year body-on restoration, which I had orignally planned to do in one winter.

Talk about a Pandora's Box, I could'nt agree more. If I'd known I was going to go this far It might have made more sense to pull the body. Anyway I'm happy with the results, my goal was to have a nice clean driver because that's what I do with my vettes.

Last edited by vettegozzzz; 01-10-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:53 PM
shemp
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are some before and afters Shemp

Old 01-10-2010, 10:06 PM
vettegozzzz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job Shemp, Absolutely worth the effort. I did'nt take before pics of my car cause it was so ugly. Ever notice when you have nice car, people always look underneath???
Old 07-19-2010, 10:37 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Here it is i found it
Old 07-19-2010, 10:45 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

shemp Do you feel any difference when it comes to the rear sway bar at the rear of your car?
Old 07-19-2010, 12:01 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

After i have painted the undercarriage i still have to paint the spring,rear axle and springs silver.
I know the shocks is supposed to be painted gray. Wich other parts is supposed to be gray?

I have to clean the exhaust pipes that is supposed to be stainless steel. Cant say they look like stainless steel but the rust y stuff can be easy wiped off using thinner and a cloth

Last edited by TheSaint; 07-19-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:49 PM
bmcnitt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of good information in this post. I didn't worry about cleaning any grease off anything when I was doing mine. My DeWalt angle grinder with a wire knot wheel would remove almost any paint or under coating that I could find. What I couldn't get to with it I used a wire wheel on a high speed drill and lastly wire wheels on the dremel sparingly.

Once all cleaned up POR15 with foam brushes. It flows out well and lays smooth with no brush strokes. Best of all the brushes are cheap just throw them out as needed. I top coated with Rustoleum Industrial Gloss Black. It's held up well over the last six years. Now is this correct heck no. It was what I wanted, if you want a more correct sheen top coat with some semi-flat black.

Dave

Dave,

I dont know if your still following this thread but I was wondering if you brushed on the Rustoleum Industrial Black Gloss also or was it sprayed. I know you can brush the POR 15 on. I want to try some spot painting with a brush now that I will have my front suspension off. Do you need the top coat? I guess you are basically using the POR 15 as a primer? I think some people just use POR 15 with no primer and no top coat, not sure. I tried orange POR 15 on my intake and it didnt work out that well.

Brian
Old 02-03-2011, 06:03 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by shemp

Great job man would you like to do it again.

Get notified of new replies

To The best way to redo the undercarriage of a C2 frame on?

Old 02-03-2011, 06:18 PM
BOB WINSKI
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

If you use POR 15 make sure you have the proper breathing mask on.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:56 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I am planning on using POR 15 when doing the grey parts. So thanks i will use a breathing mask
Old 02-05-2011, 01:39 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by shemp
Shemp, nice work. Seeing your before pictures, tells me I won't be even thinking about messing with my original frame on my 67, for a long, long time. Doesn't look like your after, but it's a long, long way from your "before" shots

Quick Reply: The best way to redo the undercarriage of a C2 frame on?