C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Still running old tires? You wont after you see this!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 12:03 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Default Still running old tires? You wont after you see this!!

KNOW YOUR TIRES EXPIRATION DATE.

In Europe out of date issues wouldn't happen. I mention Europe because many EU countries speeds are much higher than ours and require a higher standard for tires. That's ok by me. I tend to drive at those higher speeds. And want a tire I can rely on. EU requires the build dates to be listed and easily read. Not coded.

The best thing I learned from this article is to check dates on new tires I buy. I don't want a tire made 4 or 5 years before I bought it. Regardless of how sound it appears to be. I want what I paid for. NEW TIRES. My old Silvertowns are for show and slow driving only.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 01-11-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:11 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Seen this when it first aired...made me think about the tires i have in back for winter use and some old pickup tires i still have that are at least 12 year old....not counting mfg date..

jack
Old 01-11-2010, 12:41 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Once I had to use the spare tire driving 5 miles to a gas station (had no trouble) how often have you seen a real 1955 original tire with the size still in the tread

Old 01-11-2010, 01:19 PM
chet b
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! after seeing that video,it makes me want to go in the garage and check all the tires on all my cars. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:00 PM
1Sweet66
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very interesting. Thanks for the link.

Just checked the midyear. 10th week of 2005 so I'm ok there. Unfortunetly I know my C3's tires are at least 13 years old if not older depending on how long they sat on the shelf before I bought them.

I was suprised to see old tires still in inventory at some of these shops.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:16 PM
pltmgr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 360 Likes on 216 Posts

I'm not a tire expert by any means but I suspect under-inflation more so than age to be a cause of thread separation.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:03 PM
jlagarde
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chet b
Wow! after seeing that video,it makes me want to go in the garage and check all the tires on all my cars. Thanks for the info.
Me too. Just saw this today for the first time myself. In my mind it's criminal to sell 6-7 year old tires as new.

Thanks

Old 01-11-2010, 03:17 PM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Not necessarily. The tires on my street rod were low mileage, looked almost like new, and were kept at the proper inflation, but I had one throw a chunk of tread last summer. I'm convinced it was because of age, they were about 11 years old.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

i'm surprised how many buy CHINA made tires. must have a death wish
Old 01-11-2010, 04:39 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even if carcass holds up, the rubber degrades about 2 points of durometer each year. Eventually, they won't stick very well...... when you most need them..

Harry
Old 01-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

The tires on my plymouth are now over 20 years old.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:05 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Innuendos, suggestive half truths, completely biased and no scientific data to back up any claims to substantiate aged tires are dangerous.

I've driven a million miles or more on steel belted radials. In the early days, I lost quite a few BRAND NEW Firestone 500's and BRAND NEW BF Goodrich Police Pursuit radials. Even three JC PENNY radials.

I've NEVER lost a tire once it got past 10k miles on it including some that are 20 years or more old. I guess I haven't had a carcass failure or tread separation in over 20 years.

Probably 95% of tire problems of this nature reported have been associated with just ONE tire manufacturer. Firestone. So, does this point to a problem with aging or a problem with design/manufacturing?

Call 1-800-Ask Gary. He'll make 'em pay. While you're waiting on your settlement, call Crash-Cash and get an advance on your settlement.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:22 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MikeM
Innuendos, suggestive half truths, completely biased and no scientific data to back up any claims to substantiate aged tires are dangerous.

I've driven a million miles or more on steel belted radials. In the early days, I lost quite a few BRAND NEW Firestone 500's and BRAND NEW BF Goodrich Police Pursuit radials. Even three JC PENNY radials.

I've NEVER lost a tire once it got past 10k miles on it including some that are 20 years or more old. I guess I haven't had a carcass failure or tread separation in over 20 years.

Probably 95% of tire problems of this nature reported have been associated with just ONE tire manufacturer. Firestone. So, does this point to a problem with aging or a problem with design/manufacturing?

Call 1-800-Ask Gary. He'll make 'em pay. While you're waiting on your settlement, call Crash-Cash and get an advance on your settlement.

The tire manufacturers themselves put a 6 year expiration date on the tires. The dealers are supposed to turn them in. Many don't. I hardly call that biased. Check your dates.
Firestones are junk. But have not been mentioned here.Or any other article for many years.
Regardless of contrarians. Given the stakes and the relatively low cost of changing, it's worth a life saved.
Unless all you do is parades? I wouldn't drive ANY car at high speeds on old tires. I certainly would not have my loved ones driving on them. Would you??
Old 01-11-2010, 05:42 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1sttexan

The tire manufacturers themselves put a 6 year expiration date on the tires. The dealers are supposed to turn them in. Many don't. I hardly call that biased. Check your dates.
Firestones are junk. But have not been mentioned here.Or any other article for many years.
Regardless of contrarians. Given the stakes and the relatively low cost of changing, it's worth a life saved.
Unless all you do is parades? I wouldn't drive ANY car at high speeds on old tires. I certainly would not have my loved ones driving on them. Would you??
Apparently, you didn't bother to absorb my post.

I have experience that tells me age is not a factor in tire failure, design/manufacturing is. I also have experience that old tires are not a problem for me. New ones have been. My data is as good as anyone else's in this debate.

The europeans put an arbitrary age limit on tires. Nobody knows why. The tire manufacturers in this country haven't followed suit for good reason. That reason is there is NO PROOF that aged tires are dangerous. Even new tires can be dangerous as I have stated above. Show me anywhere, the US manufactures have a policy to turn in tires six years old.

I have no idea why you are dismissing Firestone by calling them junk and letting it go at that. Their tires are the ones that have caused the large majority of the problem related to tire design/manufacture. Nothing to do with low inflation, overloading or high speed. Maybe you should not be buying Firestone instead of just throwing them away when they get six years old? Many weren't safe when new.

High speeds, low inflation pressure and overloading are proven factors in tire failures. That and lawyers. You must be a trial attorney?

The sky is falling, run for your life!

And do a little more research on the subject.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:20 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
Once you turn to personal insults, No further comment is needed. I would expect no less from you. Seems to be your thing.

You make an inflammatory post and have nothing to back it up except that video which is mostly orchestrated BS and then blame somebody for getting "personal" with you.

Last edited by MikeM; 01-11-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:27 PM
w1ctc
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked into this problem some years ago and found the following.

If a tire is not used the oils that make up the rubber formula don't migrate to the tread from centrifugal force. This causes the tread to harden and prevents the oils from migrating to the outside permanently. If a tire is used the oils migrate and the tread is worn down keeping the tread at the proper hardness. If you squeeze a tread from an old unused tire to a fresh one, the difference can be felt. I could not find information on the balance of use to storage. The problem of little used tires is especially critical to the boat trailers, RV and little used classic cars. As a side note, I found that aircraft tires are made differently and don't have same kind of problems.
The bottom line is to get as new a tire as possible for your old Vette and figure on replacing them at the 6 year point.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:32 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by w1ctc
I looked into this problem some years ago and found the following.

If a tire is not used the oils that make up the rubber formula don't migrate to the tread from centrifugal force. This causes the tread to harden and prevents the oils from migrating to the outside permanently. If a tire is used the oils migrate and the tread is worn down keeping the tread at the proper hardness. If you squeeze a tread from an old unused tire to a fresh one, the difference can be felt. I could not find information on the balance of use to storage. The problem of little used tires is especially critical to the boat trailers, RV and little used classic cars. As a side note, I found that aircraft tires are made differently and don't have same kind of problems.
The bottom line is to get as new a tire as possible for your old Vette and figure on replacing them at the 6 year point.
Sound advice.

Get notified of new replies

To Still running old tires? You wont after you see this!!

Old 01-11-2010, 07:48 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

aircraft tires blow just like car tires even when air pressure, tread is good, when it happens it happens if stars are all lined up.
I agree with industry guy, no proof, HOWEVER, I replace tires no later than 6 years on my drivers with this caveat...my truck is 9 years but driven only in town and will replace when it becomes more than occassional driver or road vehicle, vette/car that is trailer queen/never driven this is not an issue in my opinion.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:23 PM
57AIRBOX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for this information/video...I will be passing it on to everyone I know. Charley
Old 01-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Curvette1
Safety Car

Received 182 Likes on 91 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I just learned this info this year when I put on the studded snow tires on the Tahoe.
Seems they were "old" and one just cracked itself flat driving down the highway. I love AAA.

Quick Reply: Still running old tires? You wont after you see this!!