C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How much for a good paint job??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 08:50 PM
SS Racer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much for a good paint job??

I looked at a C2 today that needed some attention pretty much over the whole car which is to be expected with a 44 year old car. An older paint job by someone with an overly aggresive DA sander makes it require even more attention.

What is the average costs of paint jobs from owners that had C2's painted needing some serious attention?

I really liked the car, but don't have the time or desire to do this one myself.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:53 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Do a search on the subject. I believe it has recently been discussed in depth. Dennis
Old 01-24-2010, 09:44 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

$10k and on up
Old 01-24-2010, 09:50 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by SS Racer
I looked at a C2 today that needed some attention pretty much over the whole car which is to be expected with a 44 year old car. An older paint job by someone with an overly aggresive DA sander makes it require even more attention.

What is the average costs of paint jobs from owners that had C2's painted needing some serious attention?

I really liked the car, but don't have the time or desire to do this one myself.
I think it depends on how much prep is needed. That's where most of the cost would be. How perfect do you want the gaps? What previous body work has to be fixed. $10K seems to be a common figure.

Gerry

Edit: That being said, our car has a crappy 20 year old paint job and looks OK from 10 ft or so. I park anywhere I want and I don't care even a little bit about door dings or kids with bikes riding around it. I don't show it, We just drive it, and if it wasn't for my wife wanting to get it painted, I probably would leave it as is. If I have to worry about the paint, it takes some of the fun away.

Last edited by Mossy66; 01-24-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:01 PM
SS Racer
Advanced

Yeah, $10K is what I was figuring. In the past I would do all the prep and spray it myself.

I was just trying to figure what I would be into this car for.

The worst part is its not numbers matching, etc and what I would be into the car and paint would be less than it would be worth done.

I would be ahead buying a very clean stocker and installing a modified engine. And have the number matching engine to boot.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:09 PM
SS Racer
Advanced

And mossy that is exactly what I said when I went to look at it. But the cracks and mild flares, seperating bonding strips, etc made me realize to do the math before spending the cash.

Not a good deal when you figure the price to fix the body. And it would probably be closer to 15 grand after searching out some threads on this subject.

Figuring that, I would get alot more car spending the money now, without the headaches.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:33 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by SS Racer
And mossy that is exactly what I said when I went to look at it. But the cracks and mild flares, seperating bonding strips, etc made me realize to do the math before spending the cash.

Not a good deal when you figure the price to fix the body. And it would probably be closer to 15 grand after searching out some threads on this subject.

Figuring that, I would get alot more car spending the money now, without the headaches.
Right answer! And that is just considering what you can see...once its stripped life can get full of surprises! Like somebody doing a fiberglass repair with bondo or, better yet, putting fiberglass matt directly over original paint on the fender ! Costs creep up REAL quick!
Attached Images   

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-24-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:10 AM
attitudeair
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default price of a paintjob

You've been told really sound information, as the owner of a bodyshop myself I can tell you that $10,000 for a quality paintjob isn't out of the ordinary and depending on what kind of issues are hidden underneath it could easily drive the price even higher. I know it sounds like alot of money but if you knew the labor hours it takes to do a top notch paintjob not to mention the price of todays shop suplies (primer, sandpaper, tape, masking paper, paint, clear coat, etc) you would be surprised how much profit we make at the end of the day.

I don't know where you are located but if you're near central Illinois look me up. My web site is attitudeair.com and my number is 217-585-8833 and I would be happy to look at your car. I'm experienced in repairing/restoring Corvettes as well as custom painting them.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 01-25-2010, 06:25 AM
SS Racer
Advanced

Jeff, this isn't my car but a car I was looking to purchase. And yes I know all too well how much time goes into quality bodywork, that is why I won't do this one myself. I know the cost is justified.

I just wanted a number to figure where I would be at. I let a few nice mid years slip through my hands because I wanted a mild street rod type car. I found the perfect car, just needs bodywork and a handfull of minor issues. But I have too much going on right now that I would have to send it out for body/f'glass work.

When you look at the price of doing the body plus the price of the car and the numbers matching engine is long gone... It would be much easier to buy a numbers matching car, semi restored and stick a hot powerplant in it.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Thats why I love this board
Old 01-25-2010, 08:28 AM
Johnny 66
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by attitudeair
I can tell you that $10,000 for a quality paintjob isn't out of the ordinary and depending on what kind of issues are hidden underneath it could easily drive the price even higher. I know it sounds like alot of money but if you knew the labor hours it takes to do a top notch paintjob not to mention the price of todays shop suplies (primer, sandpaper, tape, masking paper, paint, clear coat, etc) you would be surprised how much profit we make at the end of the day.
This is what is wrong with America!!!

40,000 dollar car, and it costs 10K to paint it!!

Kind of sad, really.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:19 AM
ditchdigger650
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny 66

Kind of sad, really.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:41 AM
ragtopman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

<-----------------------------

What would you say is fair then to do a quality job on a car?? And to help you out, lets spend $2500.00 on materials to get started.

After its all said and done, I will personally have made 10 laps around my car sanding only in different grades of sand paper. What is a technicians time worth??

Now, assuming that you had to take it to a body shop, lets pay for insurance, electric, gas, taxes, UI, etc..

Being reasonable, start deducting for the utilities, taxes, ins., etc., and lets pay our technician $16.00 an hour and he has 250 hours in your car.

In order for a shop to stay in business, it has to turn a profit. And according to my calculator, not much is left out of that 10k.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:58 AM
fullcontrol
Paid Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Asked a friend who recently had his painted at a Corvette speciality shop. He paid $6800 including body prep, paint and materials.

BTW, did not include the stinger hood which probably adds another couple hundred to the price.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:34 AM
Johnny 66
Instructor

Originally Posted by ragtopman
<-----------------------------

What would you say is fair then to do a quality job on a car?? And to help you out, lets spend $2500.00 on materials to get started.
Buddy's 66 Chevelle cost 5K for a really good job. No reason a Vette should cost twice that simply because of the emblem on the hood, and this is in fact what drives the price of vette paint jobs.

Most paint jobs on a vette don't require relaying glass.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:42 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

After its all said and done, I will personally have made 10 laps around my car sanding only in different grades of sand paper. What is a technicians time worth??

Now, assuming that you had to take it to a body shop, lets pay for insurance, electric, gas, taxes, UI, etc..

Being reasonable, start deducting for the utilities, taxes, ins., etc., and lets pay our technician $16.00 an hour and he has 250 hours in your car.

In order for a shop to stay in business, it has to turn a profit. And according to my calculator, not much is left out of that 10k
THIS IS RIGHT ON THE MONEY!!!!! I'd like to know where your getting a good technician for $16. LOL. I've been doing it all my life, and IF everything goes right, there will be 150 to 200 hours in the paint/prep. I charge $40/hr. Add on some overhead, cost of material, buffing, assembly, etc., and there is NOTHING left of 10K.

Mike Coletta
Old 01-25-2010, 11:50 AM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

Just back from the paint shop. I did all the body work myself. $8500 and worth every penny

Old 01-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Johnny 66
Instructor

looks good! Is that flames coming out of the vents??

Get notified of new replies

To How much for a good paint job??

Old 01-25-2010, 12:45 PM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

looks good! Is that flames coming out of the vents??
Yup!

Old 01-25-2010, 02:05 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 192 Likes on 135 Posts

Kind of sad, really.
Whats your point here?
Old 01-25-2010, 03:08 PM
jjtoma
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Kind of sad, really.
Maybe this will put a smile on your face.

http://www.earlscheib.com/

Quick Reply: How much for a good paint job??