C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Hood latches 1960 Bright or dull cad

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 11:55 AM
BOB WINSKI
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Hood latches 1960 Bright or dull cad

Hi Guys,i need to find out if the hood latches for a 60 are a dull cad or a bright cad plating.Thanks Bob W
Old 01-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Rickb1873
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Hood latches 1960 Bright or dull cad

Bob,
The hood latches on a 1960 Corvette are dull cad (not the bright cad plating). Additionally they received a coat of semi-flat black paint during the engine compartment black out process. Depending on how much detail (correctness) you want to put on your car, consider the following:
• The hood latches were installed prior to the blackout process, so you would see varying amount of bare fiberglass on the firewall under the half moon of the latch.
• The attachment bolts would have been in place, so they would receive the blackout paint as well.
• The brass retainer for the pull cable was not installed at blackout time, so these would be unpainted.
• And as a safety feature, bend the cable 90-degrees to that it will not pull out.

Richard

PS If you are any relation to Richard Winski, I went to high school with your brother:
Old 01-27-2010, 01:29 PM
BOB WINSKI
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rickb1873
Bob,
The hood latches on a 1960 Corvette are dull cad (not the bright cad plating). Additionally they received a coat of semi-flat black paint during the engine compartment black out process. Depending on how much detail (correctness) you want to put on your car, consider the following:
• The hood latches were installed prior to the blackout process, so you would see varying amount of bare fiberglass on the firewall under the half moon of the latch.
• The attachment bolts would have been in place, so they would receive the blackout paint as well.
• The brass retainer for the pull cable was not installed at blackout time, so these would be unpainted.
• And as a safety feature, bend the cable 90-degrees to that it will not pull out.

PS If you are any relation to Richard Winski, I went to high school with your brother:
Rick, thanks for the informationI have no relatives name Richard.Thanks again
Old 01-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had a quick read of the judging guide and it doesn't mention what finish it has on the body latches ? It does mention the Hood latches are operated by an unpainted Bowden cable secured by a cylindrical brass stopper which is adjusted by a cadmium plated clutch head screw. No mention of any type of finish on the latches ? I might let the boys know at the NCRS there is a another hole in there judging book. Stewy
Old 01-27-2010, 04:56 PM
BOB WINSKI
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Stewart Allison
I just had a quick read of the judging guide and it doesn't mention what finish it has on the body latches ? It does mention the Hood latches are operated by an unpainted Bowden cable secured by a cylindrical brass stopper which is adjusted by a cadmium plated clutch head screw. No mention of any type of finish on the latches ? I might let the boys know at the NCRS there is a another hole in there judging book. Stewy
So i guess back to square one.Maybe someone that has had a 59 0r 60 judged to chime in.Thanks Bob W
Old 01-27-2010, 10:00 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Don't hold me to it but when I took my latch off the body I think behind it was raw unpainted glass. So I guess it gets a good coating of engine bay black paint all over the latch. I can't recall the latch being cad plated when I media blasted 50 years of dust, oil and grim off it. I would think it would be cad when they were new I reckon ! I will ask a few guys that have flight cars ! Stewy
Old 01-28-2010, 07:08 AM
BOB WINSKI
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Stewart Allison
Don't hold me to it but when I took my latch off the body I think behind it was raw unpainted glass. So I guess it gets a good coating of engine bay black paint all over the latch. I can't recall the latch being cad plated when I media blasted 50 years of dust, oil and grim off it. I would think it would be cad when they were new I reckon ! I will ask a few guys that have flight cars ! Stewy
Thanks STEWY
Old 01-29-2010, 01:46 AM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Well I asked the question for you and this is what I got. There are 2 types of cad plating. The first is silver cad and the second is gold cad colour. The latches are silver cad and then painted with the black out engine bay paint.
Cad plating is now a no, no and is really hazardous in getting rid of the cadmium waste. There is very little cad plated products about now and Aero space is about the only industry that are allowed to use it. When dumped in an area and it leaches into drinking water most people either die of cancer or there kids are born with two heads I hope that helps. Stewy

Get notified of new replies

To Hood latches 1960 Bright or dull cad

Quick Reply: Hood latches 1960 Bright or dull cad