C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Bubbles Under Paint Again!

Old 03-23-2010, 07:47 AM
roccog
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please let me share my experience. 20 + years ago I installed new stainless steel brake lines on my 64. (I've owned this car for 40 years). After installing the new brake line I put in silicone brake fluid. (big mistake). I had the car painted shortly after that. A few months go by and I notice the fluid level low, about 1/4 ". I add fluid and again experience the same problem. I could not find a leak. A few years go by and I begin to notice paint bubbles on the left front fender, then on the cowling. Long story short, the master cylinder rear seal was leaking. The fluid was wicking up the firewall up to the fender and cowling. I am still fighting this problem. I hope this helps someone.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Formula Outlaw
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
If your car has A/C, and if the bubbles are located approximately over the A/C compressor, the bubbles are likely A/C oil that sprayed onto the underside of the hood at some point in the past, and leached through the fiberglass.
No A/C.....

Those pinhole-sized "bubbles" were not in the car hood when I bought it in NOV. of 05, then started appearing after entering several car shows in the hot FL sun. No idea if the sun heat caused it, or engine compartment heat, or what. Problem is my original paint is so thin there's not much I can do except a new paint job....

I'm scared to try to wetsand them out cause of going through the paint...
Old 03-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by roccog
Please let me share my experience. 20 + years ago I installed new stainless steel brake lines on my 64. (I've owned this car for 40 years). After installing the new brake line I put in silicone brake fluid. (big mistake). I had the car painted shortly after that. A few months go by and I notice the fluid level low, about 1/4 ". I add fluid and again experience the same problem. I could not find a leak. A few years go by and I begin to notice paint bubbles on the left front fender, then on the cowling. Long story short, the master cylinder rear seal was leaking. The fluid was wicking up the firewall up to the fender and cowling. I am still fighting this problem. I hope this helps someone.
I had problems with that after my first repaint. There is a chemical cleaner that removes silicones(Used to be called DuPont Prep-Sol)... I used it before my second repaint and the DOT5 problem never came back. I had to really soak some spots repeatedly though and it took time & patience.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:32 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Received 76 Likes on 74 Posts

I can relate, I have been told its probably a fiberglass fiber that worked it way up. Any easy way to repair it?
Old 06-17-2010, 05:48 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
No A/C.....

Those pinhole-sized "bubbles" were not in the car hood when I bought it in NOV. of 05, then started appearing after entering several car shows in the hot FL sun. No idea if the sun heat caused it, or engine compartment heat, or what. Problem is my original paint is so thin there's not much I can do except a new paint job....

I'm scared to try to wetsand them out cause of going through the paint...
If these problems just happened in the last 5 years. How did the previous owner treat the car? I would think an original paint job would not have been 100% babied for 40+ yrs. Are you sure it's original? Seems like these problems rear their ugly head within a few months or years of a fresh paint job.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Easy Rider 1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorta on topic, hope its not a hijack. I"ve been looking for a 65-67 and have to say I am very leery of fresh paint cars for sale. Is there any way to be sure (75% for sure lets say) that the paint job is good? To tell the truth, after reading this and other threads like it, I am leaning more towards cars without fresh paint.
Mike
Old 06-17-2010, 07:39 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Rider 1
Sorta on topic, hope its not a hijack. I"ve been looking for a 65-67 and have to say I am very leery of fresh paint cars for sale. Is there any way to be sure (75% for sure lets say) that the paint job is good? To tell the truth, after reading this and other threads like it, I am leaning more towards cars without fresh paint.
Mike
If it's a fresh paint job no. The contaminants usually take time to cause problems. I would say if the paint is over a year old, you have a better chance of seeing problems.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:55 PM
MIKE MAIN
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mike Main

Purchased my black 2005 C6 coupe new. Two years ago I noticed paint blistering across the rear hatch just behind the window. Had the hatch stripped and repainted August 2015. Blistering returned last month. Took it back to the paint shop who repainted it and told me that the bonding agent in the fiberglass was leaching up through the glass layers, causing the paint to lift. Found another spot on driver's door. Looks like there is no cure for this problem and a repaint would be a wasted effort as the leaching activity in the laminating glue would continue and result in blistering in the new paint. Since this appears to be a systemic problem with Corvettes, where is GM on a cure? (Where is Ralph Nader?)
Old 03-11-2016, 03:28 PM
bradc6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 343 Likes on 195 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11
National Champs Gators 4 St. Jude '09

Why bring back a 6 year old thread in this section to talk about a C6?
The following users liked this post:
corvetteed (03-12-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 04:12 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by MIKE MAIN
Purchased my black 2005 C6 coupe new. Two years ago I noticed paint blistering across the rear hatch just behind the window. Had the hatch stripped and repainted August 2015. Blistering returned last month. Took it back to the paint shop who repainted it and told me that the bonding agent in the fiberglass was leaching up through the glass layers, causing the paint to lift. Found another spot on driver's door. Looks like there is no cure for this problem and a repaint would be a wasted effort as the leaching activity in the laminating glue would continue and result in blistering in the new paint. Since this appears to be a systemic problem with Corvettes, where is GM on a cure? (Where is Ralph Nader?)
Search for a TSB instead of a recall. One of my cars is a 2000 SS Camaro that I bought new and has only been driven 14k miles. Back in 2008 my sail panel started bubbling and I realized it was in the glass and there was a TSB and GM knew but no recall. I fought with them for an entire summer and got all the way to the east coast vp. I was able to get them to pay 1/2. Sail panel removed and a new one put on. I guess the dealership followed the same procedure because it's doing it again!
Old 03-11-2016, 07:11 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I encounter this issue from time to time on some Corvettes that come into my shop. I KNOW it SUCKS..but honestly...how long do you think GM should cover paint and body work????

And if a car is covered...don't you think that that can effect paint issues??? And I do not care about the cover 'saying' that it is BREATHABLE...which is a JOKE. Just 'saying'.

This should let everybody know that SMC is porous....and is NOT like steel or urethane.

DUB
Old 03-11-2016, 07:37 PM
JRRHINO
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Brake fluid and other things will do it , when it is stripped put a halogen lamp on it about 6 inches away and you will begin to see wet spots then just keep wiping it till no more wet spots, my 65 had this in the drivers fender grill area and emblem area and it took maybe 50 plus hours to get it all out the glass gets to 200-300 plus degrees or more. The hot sun wouldn't bring it out, yours sounds like it is as bad as mine. PM me if you want to talk about it.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:56 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by JRRHINO
Brake fluid and other things will do it , when it is stripped put a halogen lamp on it about 6 inches away and you will begin to see wet spots then just keep wiping it till no more wet spots, my 65 had this in the drivers fender grill area and emblem area and it took maybe 50 plus hours to get it all out the glass gets to 200-300 plus degrees or more. The hot sun wouldn't bring it out, yours sounds like it is as bad as mine. PM me if you want to talk about it.
My original paint 66 gets the "wet" spots on the paint. It wipes off and no bubbles. I thought I had tire spray on it, but any amount of heat brings them out, but so far no damage to the paint.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:59 PM
JRRHINO
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonsamara
My original paint 66 gets the "wet" spots on the paint. It wipes off and no bubbles. I thought I had tire spray on it, but any amount of heat brings them out, but so far no damage to the paint.
Yes you are right I should have mentioned before I stripped my 65 it also had the original paint and it was getting the wet spots but no bubbles so I'm guessing that the original paint was so cured that it was going right through the paint and then when repainted it was going to the paint and causing the pimples, good info
Old 03-11-2016, 11:22 PM
91DRM
Team Owner

Received 329 Likes on 229 Posts

Wonder whatever happened to Stewy?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bubbles Under Paint Again!