C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Here is headlight relay wiring diagram

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 02:41 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Default Here is headlight relay wiring diagram

The colors referenced apply to a C1.

You can install this right between the existing headlight connectors under the front panel of the car, without cutting any wiring if you buy some male and female spade connectors.

You can zip tie the relays and extra wire to the metal support rods under the front panel and nobody will see a thing to tell if you car is modified

You want Bosch 30 amp NO relays and matching sockets that already have wire ends installed. I used a double socket to keep things cleaner.

If you want to save a few bucks, you can just use two relays, and input the signal from the LH headlight factory harness,and double wire out from the relays to connect to both headlight sets. The RH main harness connector is then left unused

Doug
Old 02-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

There are generic Radio Shack 12V relays #275-226 that do the same thing. I mounted mine just below the windshield washer tank and tied into the horn relay main buss for the 12V to the headlights...didn't cut any original wiring and its undetectable unless you do a head stand over the driver's fender. The circuit should include a 20-amp fuse though on the headlight feed as this modification bypasses the 'thermal cutout' integrated into the headlight switch for over-current protection.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Is a version of this available for the C-2 cars? I freely admit, I'm electrically challanged, but can follow diagrams. Dennis
Old 02-27-2010, 04:29 PM
x0000rgw
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Reversed pins

Originally Posted by AZDoug
The colors referenced apply to a C1.

You can install this right between the existing headlight connectors under the front panel of the car, without cutting any wiring if you buy some male and female spade connectors.

You can zip tie the relays and extra wire to the metal support rods under the front panel and nobody will see a thing to tell if you car is modified

You want Bosch 30 amp NO relays and matching sockets that already have wire ends installed. I used a double socket to keep things cleaner.

If you want to save a few bucks, you can just use two relays, and input the signal from the LH headlight factory harness,and double wire out from the relays to connect to both headlight sets. The RH main harness connector is then left unused

Doug
Why are pins 85 and 86 reversed on the layout. On the high beam,
85 is ground. On the low beam 86 is ground. It may not matter
since this is a mechanical relay. I think it wound matter on an
electronic relay.
Ray
Old 02-27-2010, 04:58 PM
wow
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Someone posted a C2 version somewhere on the forum...can't seem to find it either...if you're out there, could you repost please? Thanks, Nick
Old 02-27-2010, 07:24 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by SIXTSVN
Someone posted a C2 version somewhere on the forum...can't seem to find it either...if you're out there, could you repost please? Thanks, Nick
Just look at the factory wiring diagram and substitute whatever color wires they have for low beam and high bean for what is on the one one I posted.

The Bosch relays don't care how the coil wires are hooked up.

Doug
Old 03-21-2016, 08:24 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
There are generic Radio Shack 12V relays #275-226 that do the same thing. I mounted mine just below the windshield washer tank and tied into the horn relay main buss for the 12V to the headlights...didn't cut any original wiring and its undetectable unless you do a head stand over the driver's fender. The circuit should include a 20-amp fuse though on the headlight feed as this modification bypasses the 'thermal cutout' integrated into the headlight switch for over-current protection.
Hi Frankie, sorry for popping this old post up but it helps me out. You say you tap the 12V from the relay horn, is that from where all the red wires come together (picture from a 63 below that I found on the web, mine is a 64)? If so , is it normal these screws are fully in the open ready for a short to happen?
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2016, 08:50 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
Is a version of this available for the C-2 cars? I freely admit, I'm electrically challanged, but can follow diagrams. Dennis
HHR-56 HALOGEN HEADLIGHT RELIEF RELAY

HR-56 HALOGEN HEADLIGHT RELIEF RELAY YOU MUST HAVE THIS WITH HIGH INTENSITY HALOGEN HEADLIGHTS!
The relief relay removes the high amp load created by "aftermarket" type halogen bulbs from the head light switch. The load is then placed on this high amp relay protecting the switch from premature failure. This product is normally not needed on vehicles with halogen or incandescent bulbs drawing less than 15 amps. Installation is as simple as plugging in the wiring connectors. All color codes and connectors match RON FRANCIS WIRING kits. (Note: Order HR-58 if you have DUAL Headlights)
ere is the version for the C2
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2016, 11:03 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I obviously am not FTF, but rather that use the horn relay as power source, I put a power distribution terminal strip up behind where the battery goes on a C1, and I ran a (fused) 8ga wire to the front headlights from there.

That power distribution strip provides power for the EFI, fuel pump, etc, also.

And yes, exposed screws like that could be an issue. Since it is obviously not an NCRS car, i would shield those.

Doug
Originally Posted by alexandervdr
Hi Frankie, sorry for popping this old post up but it helps me out. You say you tap the 12V from the relay horn, is that from where all the red wires come together (picture from a 63 below that I found on the web, mine is a 64)? If so , is it normal these screws are fully in the open ready for a short to happen?
Old 03-21-2016, 11:33 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
I obviously am not FTF, but rather that use the horn relay as power source, I put a power distribution terminal strip up behind where the battery goes on a C1, and I ran a (fused) 8ga wire to the front headlights from there.

That power distribution strip provides power for the EFI, fuel pump, etc, also.

And yes, exposed screws like that could be an issue. Since it is obviously not an NCRS car, i would shield those.

Doug
no, you are not FTF but your answer is equally helpful Thanks
My headlight motors/housings have dual end point contact&relays so they power off by themselves when reaching the open or close position. I route the relays to the tan headlamp wire such that when putting the lights on/off the housings rotate too. No need for the headlight motor switch then leaving extra room to install my Vintage Air cooling nozzle more to the left.

Last edited by alexandervdr; 03-21-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:56 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

This is the kit I sell in my store which I retail for $11.95. It comes complete with relay, switch, fuse holder and socket.
Joe
http://ecatalog.smpcorp.com/bwd/#/ve.../HP6770?type=s
Old 03-21-2016, 01:25 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by alexandervdr
Yes.

When I did this conversion in my '64, I put the relays inside the voltage regulator housing (stealthly), because I use a 1-wire alternator.

Also, the provided diagram shows a ground to the frame, and I think it should be to the core support. I ran a ground from my alternator to the core support and used 8-gauge wire to the relays.

Last edited by toddalin; 03-21-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:12 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The C2 voltage regulators sense load at the horn relay buss to determine the alternator charging rate. I hook all major accessories there. Mad Electric's web site has several technical papers on the topic. Not absolutely necessary but this makes for a clean install and prob shortens wire runs too.

It wouldn't hurt to shield the horn relay buss screws but I've never heard of any issues if you don't.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-22-2016 at 09:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Tloner (03-22-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Here is headlight relay wiring diagram

Quick Reply: Here is headlight relay wiring diagram