C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

oil pan gasket leak fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 09:33 PM
salty_waders
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default oil pan gasket leak fixed!

I have battled an oil pan leak at the timing cover for a long time. I tried new gaskets and even a new oil pan. Maybe this is old news but I heard about the FelPro Perma-Dry one-piece gasket and decided to give it try. Its not cheap ($30) but my oil leak is history. This is by far the best gasket, period, and Ive tried other 1-piece gaskets. It even came with new bolts and "hangers" that screw into the corner bolt holes to hang the pan and gasket while you install the new bolts.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:29 AM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Good info to tuck away... thanks.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:32 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

Jeff, Glad it worked. Did you put in on dry or use silicone?
Old 03-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Hello

Glad to hear this I bought one a while back and I am waiting for a time when I can go through the engine and use it...Yes its pricey but if it stops the dreaded oil leak...Its worth it!

Old 03-01-2010, 04:54 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I just replaced my pan gasket. I ended up using the original type 4 piece gasket, and about a 1/8" wide bead of "The Right Stuff". No leaks! The Right Stuff is the best gasket sealer I have ever used. I also used it on my intake manifold and thermostat housing with no leaks. The only drawback is the directions say to mate parts within 5 minutes.Kinda hard to due on a large piece like a oil pan or intake. I was going to use the FelPro one piece on the pan, but I couldn't handle that blue color.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:00 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Those one-piece pan gaskets are nice....but...i found out the hard way that you need to get the correct one for the timing gear...late or early...there is a thickness differnce that i was unaware of...

jack
Old 03-01-2010, 07:02 PM
rick66
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a small oil leak(2-3 drops/ ride), decided to install the one piece blue gasket....now I have the Corvette-Valdiz on my hands. Will be switching back to the four-piece gasket.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:53 PM
salty_waders
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jtranger
Jeff, Glad it worked. Did you put in on dry or use silicone?
The instructions said to use a small amount of RTV where the timing cover/block/pan meet and where the rear main meets the block. I used Permatex Ultra Grey, which Ive had great success with on intake, thermo housing etc.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by rick66
Had a small oil leak(2-3 drops/ ride), decided to install the one piece blue gasket....now I have the Corvette-Valdiz on my hands. Will be switching back to the four-piece gasket.
Rick then you have the wrong one on your car. The 327 gasket is the one ending in 09T and the 350 one is ending in 10T.

It usually requires putting some sealer at the corners, with that being said if you have a major leak after changing it I would inspect where the leak is and suspect that the timing chain cover could be part of the problem.

Dave
Old 03-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 572 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Where did you buy it?

John
Old 03-02-2010, 12:03 AM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by salty_waders
I have battled an oil pan leak at the timing cover for a long time. I tried new gaskets and even a new oil pan. Maybe this is old news but I heard about the FelPro Perma-Dry one-piece gasket and decided to give it try. Its not cheap ($30) but my oil leak is history. This is by far the best gasket, period, and Ive tried other 1-piece gaskets. It even came with new bolts and "hangers" that screw into the corner bolt holes to hang the pan and gasket while you install the new bolts.
Just installed one on my big block, dry as a bone! I think the blue color is kinda neat!
Old 03-02-2010, 07:54 AM
Jerry Bowen
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent info. Will try it within a week or so. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2010, 08:21 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

On the old gaskets its the "smile" piece of the gasket that usually leaks is it not? On the new one piece gasket is this problem eliminated?
Old 03-02-2010, 08:36 AM
redred65cpe
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...now I have the Corvette-Valdiz on my hands.
Made me chuckle. Thanks.

larry
Old 03-02-2010, 09:47 AM
salty_waders
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by g5pp
Where did you buy it?

John
I got it from Advanced Auto Parts. O'Riellys Auto Parts had one too.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:49 AM
salty_waders
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TheSaint
On the old gaskets its the "smile" piece of the gasket that usually leaks is it not? On the new one piece gasket is this problem eliminated?
That is correct, in my case at least. Mine was leaking at the timing cover.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:05 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Did you measure the seal radius on the pan where your pan meets the bottom of the timing cover first to determine which gasket it takes?

Production pans prior to '75 used the "thin" (0.29") front seal. Production '75-up pans (and ALL Service pans manufactured from '75-up, regardless of their intended application) used the "thick" (0.41") front seal. Fel-Pro (and GM and others) make that molded gasket in both flavors, but you have to know which pan you have before you buy the gasket, and aftermarket pans are a crapshoot - they come both ways.

Determine the front seal surface radius by measuring from the pan rail flange surface (no gasket) to the 6 o'clock position on the seal surface. If it's 2-1/4", it takes the "thin" front seal; if it's 2-3/8", it takes the "thick" front seal.

If you use the gasket with the "thin" front seal on a pan that requires the "thick" front seal, it'll leak like a sieve at the timing cover, and all the RTV in the world won't stop it. The same is true with most of the Taiwan chrome timing covers - the seal flange on that junk is spot-welded to the cover, and they'll leak; the original GM timing cover had that seal flange continuously roller-welded, and they won't leak there.

You can't just "buy a pan gasket" - you need to know which one you need first.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To oil pan gasket leak fixed!

Quick Reply: oil pan gasket leak fixed!